Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Intelligent Design? Evolution?  (Read 51808 times)

Offline Lwinn171

Intelligent Design? Evolution?
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2006, 11:38:46 PM »
Gibson did, in fact, make a Les Paul Custom Lite. Basically a custom with a really thin body (I think mahogany/maple cap, not really sure). I played one and wanted it, but could not afford at the time. It was this really cool Gibson version of purple-burgandy mist (ala Fender). And it weighed nothing next to a regular Custom, probably 7.5 lbs at a guess, maybe more. I never saw another...

Lawrence Winn
"42.7 percent of all statistics are made-up on the spot."
2001 Fly Classic, Green
Larivee Parlour Guitar
Several inferior others
Mesa Boogie MK IV
Marshall 2-12 cab
Fender acoustasonic 30

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic, 98 Deluxe
various amps, various toys

Offline trap

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2006, 08:57:34 AM »
it seems the ad campaign is a success. it created a discussion,which requires paying attention,which is the purpose of ads.

Offline rt0412

« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2006, 09:49:05 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Musicman1

I think most designers are trying to avoid copying whats already been done a million times as opposed to evolving. I think the Parker clearly has roots in traditional design but simply takes new non-wood materials to a new level. That's a very true statement... but Parker finally bowed to tradition when it introduced a bolt-on NiteFly and then the P-series with more traditional parts. Evolution "moving back and forth"?

jwrooker

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2006, 10:10:25 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by rt0412
That's a very true statement... but Parker finally bowed to tradition when it introduced a bolt-on NiteFly and then the P-series with more traditional parts. Evolution "moving back and forth"?[/purple][/b]

I think that's called trying to survive.  Parker probably would nave folded up its tent long ago if it depended solely on sales of the Fly models.  If you eliminated all but the Fly owners from this forum, it would be a small forum.

John Rooker
Rochester, NY
--------------
Gibson ES335 Light Burst
Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst
Gibson ES135 Vintage Sundburst
Carvin AE185 (coming)
Alvarez acoustic
Vox AD15VT, AD50VT & UltraSound AG50DS3

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2006, 10:24:07 AM »
quote:
I think that's called trying to survive.  Parker probably would nave folded up its tent long ago if it depended solely on sales of the Fly models.  If you eliminated all but the Fly owners from this forum, it would be a small forum.

John Rooker

True, John. Kinda sad, but true.

I know we differ on whether the FLY is a better instrument. I think that it is. Not just a subjective appraisal, but a bonafide comment on design, construction, execution, etc. That the world is willing to shell out thousands on yet another Les Paul or Strat is a testament to an unwillingness to even appraise something that's new. The FLY is superior in just about every category to anything else that's out there. If the Fly had a shortcoming, it's that it didn't show flame through sunburst finishes right from the start. Had Parker laminated flame maple to the top, offered vibrant custom transulcent and sunburst (not the ugly ones it offers now - real vintage-style sunburst) finishes, advertised itself with somewhere near the frequency of PRS or Gibson or Fender, offered its dealers some real incentives AND been able to keep up with the resulting demand, things would have been different. The entire industry would be making guitars with exoskeletons, and no guitar would weigh more than five pounds. And they'd all sound great. But it's easy to be a Monday morning quarterback.

I think ultimately it proves that if a fish is gonna grow legs, it had better disguise them as fins until 2/3 of the other fish grow legs or else it is gonna be beaten out of existence. Just the way society is.

Bob

2000 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail  *  1999 Parker Fly Deluxe w/DiBurro Roland Mod Metallic Red  * 1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue (thanks, Darren!) •  Now on a signature reduction program! Just the Flies, maam. *  www.rtmadvertising.com
« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 10:25:45 AM by uburoibob »
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

Offline trap

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2006, 10:27:33 AM »
add one more thing bob, that the music store salespeople were trained to demo the guitar properly to show it's potential.also seymour duncan pups should have been there from the git go.

Offline uburoibob

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2006, 10:32:29 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by trap

add one more thing bob, that the music store salespeople were trained to demo the guitar properly to show it's potential.also seymour duncan pups should have been there from the git go.

Agreed about the music store sales people. PERSONALLY, I like the sound of the DiMarzios, but you are right. Seymour Duncans were all the rage then, and still are. I guess if there's one design oversight, it's not getting pickup manufacturers to be part of the program, offering replacement pickups.

Bob

2000 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail  *  1999 Parker Fly Deluxe w/DiBurro Roland Mod Metallic Red  * 1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue (thanks, Darren!) •  Now on a signature reduction program! Just the Flies, maam. *  www.rtmadvertising.com
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

Offline uburoibob

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2006, 10:34:21 AM »
And what the heck, I need one more post to become and Advanced Member, so here it is!

When does my pizza arrive?

Bob

Offline Musicman1

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2006, 10:57:18 AM »
Maybe Parkers true evolution will be somewhat complete if it should become mentioned in the same breath w/the '60 Les Paul, the  '59 Strat, the  '52 Tele, the  '06 Parker...basically a must have in your collection piece. Of course as a Parker player we would say that.  Lets hear it from the mouth of Beck or Clapton or Gibbons etc. I think that would bring Parker full circle.

Musicman1

2005 Parker P44
2002 EB MM Axis Sport
1984 Custom made boutique Strat
1977 Guild D40 NT
1976 Gibson 335 Custom
Wide variety of amps and effects

Musicman1's current arsenal includes:
2007 EB MM JP6, Mystic Dream, piezo, matching headstock, dot inlays
2005 Parker P44, trans red
2002 EB MM Axis Sport  trans gold, rosewood fingerboard, hum/hum, vintage trem, matching headstock
1984 Custom made boutique Strat
1977 Guild D40 NT
1976 Gibson 335 Custom in sunburst
A variety of "tube free", absolutely non-boutique and completely replaceable amps and effects

Offline rt0412

« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2006, 12:34:07 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by uburoibob

PERSONALLY, I like the sound of the DiMarzios, but you are right. Seymour Duncans were all the rage then, and still are. I guess if there's one design oversight, it's not getting pickup manufacturers to be part of the program, offering replacement pickups.Grave mistake on the PUs... reminds me of the "architect's window". It's one of those architect's tricks where they show the client a drawing of what the house will look like. The architect deliberately puts a window somewhere where it's obviously out of place. The client will of course express their dissatisfaction and demand that it be taken out or moved somewhere else. The architect complies and that's the end of the story. The owner "had a say", the "final say" so to speak, in the design of the house.

jwrooker

« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2006, 01:55:23 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by uburoibob

And what the heck, I need one more post to become and Advanced Member, so here it is!

When does my pizza arrive?

Get the door..it's Domino's! [8D]

So, does it feel different to be an Advanced Member?  What it really means is that you are now recognized for wasting this much time on the computer.. [:D]

John Rooker
Rochester, NY
--------------
Gibson ES335 Light Burst
Carvin AE185 (coming)
Alvarez acoustic
Vox AD15VT, AD50VT & UltraSound AG50DS3

Offline uburoibob

« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2006, 02:18:05 PM »
quote:
VGet the door..it's Domino's! [8D]

So, does it feel different to be an Advanced Member?  What it really means is that you are now recognized for wasting this much time on the computer.. [:D]

John Rooker

I'm feelin all warm and gushy. Good thing, cuz I gotta go set up to play for the Artwalk thing. Outside on this windy, slightly chilly day (June 10). We're playing from 4 to 6:30 pm at 660 East Ave (by Upton Ct), between Goodman and Oxford...on somebody's lawn...hope they know we're coming!). Hope my fingers are OK. I bought a Zoom G2 effects pedal which I will be using for the first time today. That, an AER Alpha and my Fly make for a VERY compact solution. All I need is electricity!

Bob

Offline jamrcat

« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2006, 03:52:38 PM »
quote:
I gotta go set up to play for the Artwalk thing

I wish I could actually hear some of you guys play, have a great gig Bob!

After 250+ posts here's my secret:
Sometime I sits, and sometimes I thinks.........and sometimes I just sits!

Oh... and John, make mine Papa John's pizza! [:D]

Bellingham, WA
"A Fly for each hand!"

Offline trap

« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2006, 04:01:18 PM »
welcome bob! you'll get your parker leather jacket any day!

jwrooker

« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2006, 04:33:43 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by jamrcat

quote:
I gotta go set up to play for the Artwalk thing

I wish I could actually hear some of you guys play, have a great gig Bob!

After 250+ posts here's my secret:
Sometime I sits, and sometimes I thinks.........and sometimes I just sits!

Oh... and John, make mine Papa John's pizza! [:D]

Bellingham, WA

Papa John's it is..

You can hear some of Bob's stuff at:

http://www.margaretexplosion.com

John Rooker
Rochester, NY
--------------
Gibson ES335 Light Burst
Carvin AE185 (coming)