Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My Mojo Nitefly is DEAD  (Read 3243 times)

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
My Mojo Nitefly is DEAD
« on: June 24, 2006, 02:43:23 PM »
I was playing my guitar this morning and it made some weird static type noises while I was playing. I wasn't sure what it was exactly, so I dismissed it as some fluke.

Later on this morning, I rearranged my pedalboard a little bit and was hearing this strange sort of crossover distortion or something when I was playing. I thought it was my '74 Fender Twin Reverb and the bias was drifting off or something. But it did the same thing with a different amp, and then the guitar went dead. I thought that the battery might need changing, and it did - it was measured only 4.63V, so I replaced it with a brand new one that measured 9.5V, but now all I can get out the guitar is some weak blatty sounding noises when I strum the strings real hard, and this is going thru my pedalboard with my super high gain Metal Zone on. [V]

So, since the guitar is completely dead, I can only assume that it's the little Fishman PCB inside - something on it must have crapped out. Has anyone had this experience, and if so, how hard is it to get a replacement PCB? I really don't want to ship the guitar off somewhere because I am perfecty capable of replacing the board myself.

Anyone?

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com

My Mojo Nitefly is DEAD

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
My Mojo Nitefly is DEAD
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 03:47:42 PM »
There's no chance that there's something that's got a cold solder joint, or a loose connection, is there?

Bob

2000 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail  *  1999 Parker Fly Deluxe w/DiBurro Roland Mod Metallic Red  * 1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue (thanks, Darren!) •  Now on a signature reduction program! Just the Flies, maam. *  www.rtmadvertising.com
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

My Mojo Nitefly is DEAD

Offline rt0412

My Mojo Nitefly is DEAD
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 04:37:26 PM »
I know you dabble in electronics and quite skilled at it... but is the battery installed correctly? I mean, proper polarity? It happens to me sometimes...[;)]

Anyway, if it's the Fishman Powerchip that is dead, it's easy to install. It should be a piece of cake with you. I recently installed one in my '97 Nitefly V2.

quote:
Originally posted by Paul Marossy

I was playing my guitar this morning and it made some weird static type noises while I was playing. I wasn't sure what it was exactly, so I dismissed it as some fluke.

Later on this morning, I rearranged my pedalboard a little bit and was hearing this strange sort of crossover distortion or something when I was playing. I thought it was my '74 Fender Twin Reverb and the bias was drifting off or something. But it did the same thing with a different amp, and then the guitar went dead. I thought that the battery might need changing, and it did - it was measured only 4.63V, so I replaced it with a brand new one that measured 9.5V, but now all I can get out the guitar is some weak blatty sounding noises when I strum the strings real hard, and this is going thru my pedalboard with my super high gain Metal Zone on. [V]

So, since the guitar is completely dead, I can only assume that it's the little Fishman PCB inside - something on it must have crapped out. Has anyone had this experience, and if so, how hard is it to get a replacement PCB? I really don't want to ship the guitar off somewhere because I am perfecty capable of replacing the board myself.

Anyone?

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com

« Last Edit: June 24, 2006, 07:57:19 PM by rt0412 »

My Mojo Nitefly is DEAD

jwrooker

My Mojo Nitefly is DEAD
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 04:58:21 PM »
Paul,

I'm really sorry to hear this because I know how much you love that guitar.  Here's hoping it is something simple and you're up and jamming again soon.

Bob,

Great to finally meet you today!  Coupla kids on their bikes! :)

Rolly,

'Sup, man?

John Rooker
Rochester, NY
--------------
Gibson ES335 Light Burst
Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst
Gibson ES135 Vintage Sundburst
Carvin AE185 (coming)
Alvarez acoustic
Vox AD15VT, AD50VT & UltraSound AG50DS3

My Mojo Nitefly is DEAD

Offline 908ssp

My Mojo Nitefly is DEAD
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 06:15:02 PM »
Honestly Paul I don't know if your Nitefly uses the same board as the older Flys did. Those are supposedly all gone unobtanium as they say. You would have to consider either a Fishman Powerchip or perhaps the board/chip form Brigg. The Fishman was easy enough for me so it probably will be a piece of cake for you. From the options the Briggs might be a better pre-amp.

I hope you take the time to try and diagnose the problem it may be of real value in the future.

[^]

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

My Mojo Nitefly is DEAD

Offline Paul Marossy

My Mojo Nitefly is DEAD
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2006, 11:23:40 PM »
Thanks guys. Yeah, I checked the battery polarity - the cover will only close if the battery is installed correctly. I also checked for loose/broken wires and found nothing. I bought the guitar last August, so I wonder if that is covered under the warranty? It's been a great guitar otherwise. I really hate to have to play anything else. [:(]

I'm not sure what the old PCBs looked liked, but here is how mine looks:

I'm mainly wondering how customer service handles this sort of thing. I really don't want to take it to the place where I bought it (Ed Roman Guitars here in Vegas where I live) because I don't think they will take care of it in a way that I can live with...

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com

My Mojo Nitefly is DEAD

Offline bno

My Mojo Nitefly is DEAD
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2006, 11:43:04 PM »
suckola!  
« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 08:14:16 AM by bno »
'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.

My Mojo Nitefly is DEAD

Offline rt0412

My Mojo Nitefly is DEAD
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 12:40:26 AM »
quote:

Looks exactly like the one in my NiteFly-M and the one I installed in my NiteFly V2.
http://www.fishman.com/products/details.asp?id=33
http://forums.parkerguitars.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2245

The Fishman PowerChip will cost you $70. You might want to check if your guitar is still under warranty. Somebody in this forum had the same problem with the PowerChip. The mags were staticky but the piezo was OK. Have you tried the piezo by the way?

« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 12:50:26 AM by rt0412 »

My Mojo Nitefly is DEAD

Offline 908ssp

My Mojo Nitefly is DEAD
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2006, 08:21:14 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by rt0412

quote:

Looks exactly like the one in my NiteFly-M and the one I installed in my NiteFly V2.

The Fishman PowerChip will cost you $70. You might want to check if your guitar is still under warranty. Somebody in this forum had the same problem with the PowerChip. The mags were staticky but the piezo was OK. Have you tried the piezo by the way?

Hey RT when you reply with a quote write your reply AFTER the last word {[/quote]} then your reply won't get formated as part of the original quote.

Yea that is a Fishman Powerchip. So at least you know you can get it.

[^]

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

My Mojo Nitefly is DEAD

Offline rt0412

My Mojo Nitefly is DEAD
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2006, 09:59:39 AM »
Hey 908, I intended it to be that way. Noticed that the font and colors are different. Just a matter of preferences...

quote:
Originally posted by 908ssp
Hey RT when you reply with a quote write your reply AFTER the last word {[/q u o t e]} then your reply won't get formated as part of the original quote.

[^]

quote:

« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 10:19:12 AM by rt0412 »

My Mojo Nitefly is DEAD

Offline Paul Marossy

My Mojo Nitefly is DEAD
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2006, 10:04:17 AM »
quote:
The Fishman PowerChip will cost you $70. You might want to check if your guitar is still under warranty.

OK, well, $70 for a new board I can handle. Even if it is still under warranty, I think I'd rather just do it myself. If I had to ship it somewhere, I'd spend probably half of that in shipping costs. [:(!]

quote:
Somebody in this forum had the same problem with the PowerChip. The mags were staticky but the piezo was OK. Have you tried the piezo by the way?

I checked everything out - the guitar is completely dead. Makes me think that it has something to do with the tone control section since it's common to the mag PUPs and the piezo PUPs... [B)]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com

My Mojo Nitefly is DEAD

Offline rt0412

My Mojo Nitefly is DEAD
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2006, 10:11:59 AM »
Hmmmm... I think you should inspect the jack first. Could be a cold solder on the ground side or a somewhat loose jack.

BTW, the tone control is not common to the mag and piezo, works only with the mag pups.

quote:

quote:
The Fishman PowerChip will cost you $70. You might want to check if your guitar is still under warranty.

OK, well, $70 for a new board I can handle. Even if it is still under warranty, I think I'd rather just do it myself. If I had to ship it somewhere, I'd spend probably half of that in shipping costs. [:(!]

quote:
Somebody in this forum had the same problem with the PowerChip. The mags were staticky but the piezo was OK. Have you tried the piezo by the way?

I checked everything out - the guitar is completely dead. Makes me think that it has something to do with the tone control section since it's common to the mag PUPs and the piezo PUPs... [B)]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com

My Mojo Nitefly is DEAD

Offline 908ssp

My Mojo Nitefly is DEAD
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2006, 11:24:13 AM »
quote:

Hey 908, I intended it to be that way. Noticed that the font and colors are different. Just a matter of preferences...

quote:
Originally posted by 908ssp
Hey RT when you reply with a quote write your reply AFTER the last word {[/q u o t e]} then your reply won't get formated as part of the original quote.

[^]

quote:

You can read that? [?][xx(]

Alex

Alex

My Mojo Nitefly is DEAD

Offline Paul Marossy

My Mojo Nitefly is DEAD
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2006, 02:31:00 PM »
Good News! It's fixed. You'll never believe what it was, though - the battery holder. [?] Apparently, somehow one or both of the copper pieces that make contact with the terminals on the battery weren't making contact anymore because I did some checking with the multi-meter and found that the circuit was not getting any power. It worked with test leads hooked up directly to a battery, however, so that was the obvious culprit. To fix it, I simply bent the copper pieces so that they make better contact with the battery terminals. An easy fix. It's weird how this all happened, but at least it's fixed now. It sure sounded like an IC that chip started to fail or something. I guess that it sounded that way because of the power supply being iffy. Anyhow, this makes my day! [8D]

This experience, though, makes me think that I ought to get one of those boards as a spare part in case it ever does crap out.

Just a few last comments:

quote:
Hmmmm... I think you should inspect the jack first. Could be a cold solder on the ground side or a somewhat loose jack.

Just for the record, that's the first thing that I checked. [;)]

quote:
BTW, the tone control is not common to the mag and piezo, works only with the mag pups.

Really? I seem to recall that it works with both types of pickups. I'll have to verify that and check back in.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com

My Mojo Nitefly is DEAD

Offline 21st Century Schizoid Man

My Mojo Nitefly is DEAD
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2006, 02:51:41 PM »
Good goin', Paul! Welcome back to the rockin' world.
Actually you should have said that you had to reverse the neutron flow in the flux capacitor or something and then we'd all have been even more impressed   ; ^ )