Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My Mojo Nitefly is DEAD  (Read 3244 times)

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
My Mojo Nitefly is DEAD
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2006, 03:05:23 PM »
Excellent! A loose connection!

(John, great to meet you yesterday, as well!)

Bob

2000 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail  *  1999 Parker Fly Deluxe w/DiBurro Roland Mod Metallic Red  * 1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue (thanks, Darren!) •  Now on a signature reduction program! Just the Flies, maam. *  www.rtmadvertising.com
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

My Mojo Nitefly is DEAD

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
My Mojo Nitefly is DEAD
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2006, 04:29:45 PM »
quote:
Excellent! A loose connection!

You were right, it just wasn't a wire... [;)]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com

My Mojo Nitefly is DEAD

Offline rt0412

My Mojo Nitefly is DEAD
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2006, 05:41:54 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Marossy

Good News! It's fixed. You'll never believe what it was, though - the battery holder. [?] Apparently, somehow one or both of the copper pieces that make contact with the terminals on the battery weren't making contact anymore because I did some checking with the multi-meter and found that the circuit was not getting any power. It worked with test leads hooked up directly to a battery, however, so that was the obvious culprit. To fix it, I simply bent the copper pieces so that they make better contact with the battery terminals. An easy fix. It's weird how this all happened, but at least it's fixed now. It sure sounded like an IC that chip started to fail or something. I guess that it sounded that way because of the power supply being iffy. Anyhow, this makes my day! [8D]Fantastic! Although, I was thinking of the PowerChip not getting power because of a reversed battery... didn't occur to me that a simple battery holder can go bad.

This experience, though, makes me think that I ought to get one of those boards as a spare part in case it ever does crap out. Might be a good idea.

Just a few last comments:
quote:
Hmmmm... I think you should inspect the jack first. Could be a cold solder on the ground side or a somewhat loose jack.

Just for the record, that's the first thing that I checked. [;)]
quote:
BTW, the tone control is not common to the mag and piezo, works only with the mag pups.

Really? I seem to recall that it works with both types of pickups. I'll have to verify that and check back in. At least on my NiteFly-M, the tone control is connected only to the mag PUPs. It's useful though on the "both mag & piezo" position because of its effect on the mag's tone. On "piezo only" position, the tone control does nothing.

My Mojo Nitefly is DEAD

Offline Paul Marossy

My Mojo Nitefly is DEAD
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2006, 07:07:37 PM »
quote:
At least on my NiteFly-M, the tone control is connected only to the mag PUPs. It's useful though on the "both mag & piezo" position because of its effect on the mag's tone. On "piezo only" position, the tone control does nothing.

I just checked that out, and it is correct to say that the tone control is for the mag PUPs only. For some reason, I've thought for about 10 months that it worked on the piezos, too. [:I]

I guess I never noticed that since I blend both type of pickups a lot...

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 07:08:14 PM by Paul Marossy »

My Mojo Nitefly is DEAD

Offline eltze

My Mojo Nitefly is DEAD
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2006, 03:24:13 PM »
I have had this problem a few times.  The first two times I sent the guitar in and Parker replaced the electronics.  The third time when I contacted them they said most of their staff was on christmas vacation then headed to NAMM right after so they sent me a new board and let me install it myself.  They covered everything except the cost for me to ship it to them the first time even though the last time it was long past the warranty expiration.  I think the board I received the last time is a newer design as the battery now lasts longer, much longer than the 100 hours the documentation claims it should last on my model.

I never found the cause of my problems.  The first time it blew I was playing through a Sure wireless so there was no chance the amp caused a problem.  Second time was right after I got it back, it didn't last 10 seconds, I plugged in through the same wireless and it blew while I was tuning.  After that I gave up on using the wireless.  Third time I was playing with running two amps, Piezo was connected to a Fender princton chorus, magnetic to a Mesa Nomad.  I have used both of these amps individually with no problems.  I have not tried using two amps at once since it has been fixed.

While Parker has been great about fixing this it still has influenced how I have been willing to use my Fly.  I don't want to try something interesting and end up without this guitar for 4-6 weeks if it has to be sent in again.

My Mojo Nitefly is DEAD

Offline Paul Marossy

My Mojo Nitefly is DEAD
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2006, 04:26:34 PM »
quote:
I don't want to try something interesting and end up without this guitar for 4-6 weeks if it has to be sent in again.

That's understandable. When this incident happened to me, I was playing thru a single amplifier. In my case, I believe that the weird noises were caused by a battery that was down to half of its nominal voltage, which in and of itself is amazing that the circuit worked with that low of a supply voltage. I also had well over 100 hours of playing time on that one battery.

In my case, what appears to have happened is that part of the battery holder cracked where it snaps into the body when I changed the battery - and that is what caused it to get no power. If you look in the picture below, it's the part to the left where it meets the body (under that flip up piece). So, when it was closed, it wasn't exerting enough pressure on the battery to make a positive connection on the battery terminals.

In your case, I think you had faulty electronics. I hear what you're saying, though. I think I would feel the same way after all that. [B)]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 04:27:55 PM by Paul Marossy »