Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: motivate me to buy a new amp... PLAESE!!  (Read 4374 times)

Offline StickyThumb

motivate me to buy a new amp... PLAESE!!
« on: June 30, 2006, 02:28:26 AM »
so, i've been playing guitar for a couple of years now and up to very recently didnt feel any need to upgrade my 15watt practice amp to anything bigger or with better tone or whatever. But then i was advised by my teacher to invest into a new amp since, according to him, i was at the stage of learning where i could play pretty much anything and now needed to just work on my speed in order to get shreddin, so after getting a new guitar just a month ago, now i should be investing into the amp. I gathered some money and went to the music store to look for that perfect amp (i was planing to spend abou $500 + trade in my old amp). I already kinda set my mind for a fender amp since it has that deep, warm kind of sound, but after trying out a number of completly different amps (anything from solid state 30 watt to about 30watt tube) i realize that ALL amps make a huge deal of noise when no sound is present... bummer... my old amp doesnt do that (probably just isnt powerful enough), but then whatahell do i need a bigger amp for if i dont gig, dont play in a band (just jamm every now and then, but i use a studio amp then)and i also really hate playing loud since it just drives me freakin nuts... do i really need to invest 500 into a new amp? what difference is it really gonna make? (i was looking at Traynor DG65R for its warm sound) but since i didnt have my tiny amp with me i couldnt really tell much difference besides added buzzing. Are bigger, more powerful amps ment to be louder and thats it? or is more power actually gonna *fill* the room more? why would i be investing into a bigger amp if i dont gig?? also, why do all powerfull amps make so much noise??? it really pisses me off you know... anyway, any help would be really appreciated

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 02:52:34 AM »
can you list some of your favourite guitarists/songs so that we can suggest amps that give you your favourite tones
2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo signed by Steve Vai, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!

Offline StickyThumb

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 03:45:41 AM »
ummm... i kinda like everything from hard punk/rock to melodic blues (pink floydish i guess), but its not about the tone, really, i'll just listen and choose, but do i REALLY need a *big* (50-70watt) amp to play at home? especially if it makes annoying noises? are those amps ment to be played loud? if so, how would they perform at low volume, like 60-100Db (normal speach level is 60Db)? is there a point upgrading my amp if im not planing on plying loud?

Offline Keoki

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 06:43:26 AM »
I play thru two 15 watt amps at home, one for piezo side and one for dimarzio/duncan.  I get GREAT tones and flexibility.  Though I have other amps I prefer to take the two 15's to the gig and mike them off.  Same great tones with more than adequate coverage. May I suggest you use what works for you.  If you are happy with what you have you will play better and learn more guitar.  I've been playing 50 years and am still gigging and still get excited about playing whether it be at home or on the job.  But, the tone/sound has to be right before I can relax and pick.  Good luck and enjoy yourself.
George
14 Peerless Martin Taylor Maestro
14 Musicman JP Majesty
12 Ibanez GB10
03 Mojo
95 Deluxe
67 Country Gentleman
Quilter MicroPro 200-8
Quilter 12 Extension Cab
Roland MicroCube

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 08:03:09 AM »
Welcome to the Parker Guitar Forum [;)]

If you want to read about peoples infatuation with amps read the Gear Page http://www.thegearpage.net. I own three Parker guitars which I play and an acoustic. I own 15 amps which I play and collect so for some amps are at least if not more important then guitars. And many would argue more important to your final sound. If given the choice many would pay more for their amp then they would for their guitar.

All of this is not to convince you of anything. I am puzzled how you could choose to play "electric guitar" and not get the electric part? Anyway buy or don't buy whatever floats your boat. If you're happy playing what you have save your money.

Oh and these days people generally don't buy a big amp just to get louder they buy it because that is what it takes to get a certain sound. There are lots of great sounding tube amps with 15 watts or less and that is plenty loud enough but they don't sound the same as a 100 watt Plexi.
[^]

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline rt0412

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 10:08:55 AM »
What's the brand/model of your present 15 Watt amp?
Size of speaker?
Do you use any effects pedal with it?
What's the brand/model of your guitar?

A 15 Watt amp is plenty loud in a room. I bet you're not able to crank it to full volume inside your room. I don't think you really need a more powerful amp. When you were advised by your teacher to get a new amp, did he set any criteria for the type of amp you need?

Offline StickyThumb

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2006, 10:49:57 AM »
Current amp: Delta DG-15R (cheap one that came in a package with my first electric (NOT from walmart[;)]));
Speaker is 10"
Pedal: Digitech RP80
Guitar: Ibanez S470.
As for what my teacher suggests, well, he said look for something with a tone that you like and a bit more power so that i can be heard just in case i ever play with others or gig or whatever. I do believe that the reason he was suggesting a new amp was because my came in a package and is more on the cheap/throw away first amp side rather then a nice sounding performance amp, but is a new amp really gonna make much difference? i just dont see the point in practically wasting $500 or more on a slight tone and power improvement since i can get alot of tones with my pedal and dont have the need for extra power... Having said all that, i am positive a new amp, whatever it might be, will have a better tone, but will the improvement be segnificant enough and worth my money?

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2006, 11:20:27 AM »
Here's my suggestions:

1. Buy a vintage Fender Twin Reverb and use distortion pedals with it. It's 100 watts, no problem with volume.
2. Get a Seymour Duncan Convertible and a few extra modules for it. You can make this amp sound like virtually any amp out there. It's also 100 watts. (Stay away from the 60 watt model)
3. Get something like a Fender Hot Rod DeVille. At 60 watts, it's plenty loud!

These happen to be my personal favorites.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com

Offline rt0412

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2006, 12:02:13 PM »
Honestly, I don't think you need a new amp if you're not going to gigs or playing in a band. When you join a band though you'll immediately realize the limitations of your present amp and effects, tonewise and powerwise.

Offline bno

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2006, 01:37:36 PM »
My $.02  

Vox Valvetronix AD30VT.  

Reasons: Inexpensive - less than $250 new - under $200 on Ebay

Plenty loud for doing a casual jam/practice (assuming you're not doing death metal with someone who has a 100watt half stack and a drummer with forearms the size of your thighs).

Has a lot of different tones available so you can learn about various amps and their tonal descriptions and possibilities.  Has Gain, Volume, Tone and Master Volume controls.  Covers a lot of styles.  Has built in effects so you can learn about effects and their parameters.

Small lightweight and portable.  You can take it to your lessons.

Has a headphone jack so you can practice silently.

Has an output level adjustment so you can find a tone you like and use it for both bedroom practice and rehersal volume.

And most importantly - it sounds great.  Its a great amp for really exploring tone and finding out what that means.

If you want to go up one level - the AD50VT.  You can gig with that one.
'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.

Offline audient277

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2006, 03:49:21 PM »
I have to agree w/ "bno". I have the Vox Valvetronix AD15VT and would only upgrade to either a Vox ad30vt or ad50vt.

Though I am considering the Line6 Guitar Port for my pc -just to noodle w/ different sounds and effects.

jwrooker

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2006, 04:09:01 PM »
Another vote for the Vox Valvetronix series.  If you don't like the metal grille cloth, go to North Coast Music  

http://www.voxshowroom.com/northcoast/index.html

You can get the AD15, 30, 50 or 100 VT with classic Vox grille cloth and they look awesome.  

I have the 15 and the 50 with the Vox grille cloth and they have performed very well for me.  The 15 is plenty loud and doesn't sound like a cheap 15 watt practice amp.  They are a great amp, especially if you don't know what to buy because you have a bunch of amp models to choose frrom.

John Rooker
Rochester, NY
--------------

Offline jamrcat

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2006, 04:54:15 PM »
First of all thanks for the link John! Secondly: has anyone had any experience with the Brian May AC30BM model?

Bellingham, WA
"A Fly for each hand!"

Offline rt0412

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2006, 04:55:11 PM »
Agreed that the Vox AD30VT is a good amp. We have one in the band for the rhythm guitar.

Another one to consider would be Behringer's LX210 ($249). A bit more complicated (and therefore more confusing to a beginner) than the AD30VT - more amp simulations, more effects, more powerful, stereo with 2 10" speakers. I had the LX112 (single 12" speaker) which my son is presently using as a practice amp. Be sure to use mode L2 not the default S1 when using the internal speakers or external cab(s).

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2006, 05:02:59 PM »
Yet another Valvetronix vote! I have the 30 and love it!

Bob

2000 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail  *  1999 Parker Fly Deluxe w/DiBurro Roland Mod Metallic Red  * 1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue (thanks, Darren!) •  Now on a signature reduction program! Just the Flies, maam. *  www.rtmadvertising.com
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com