Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: motivate me to buy a new amp... PLAESE!!  (Read 4372 times)

jwrooker

motivate me to buy a new amp... PLAESE!!
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2006, 05:05:42 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by jamrcat

First of all thanks for the link John! Secondly: has anyone had any experience with the Brian May AC30BM model?

Bellingham, WA

The one with just a volume control?  I'll bet is sounds amazing cranked.  It's essentially a hand wired AC30 with a single volume control and that thing that Brian May always used built in.  I guess it also has a 15/30w power switch.  15 watts of Vox Class A is still loud. [:D]

I bought both of my amps from North Coast Music.  If you have any tendencies toward vintage type Brit invasion gear, that's the place to go.  
John Rooker
Rochester, NY
--------------
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 05:07:27 PM by jwrooker »

Offline StickyThumb

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2006, 05:19:09 PM »
thanks guys! i just got home from the store after trying AD30VT and AD50VT and man they sound nice! (too bad they didnt have AD100VT, bet that would kick some) i think im gonna go with 50 watts though, just so that i dont have to upgrade again soon. Now i have to phone all the stores around and look for the best deal. btw, just to make things clear, quote: "A bit more complicated (and therefore more confusing to a beginner)..." guys... im not a beginner, ive played pretty long and can play pretty darn well, but i just needed to completly make up my mind wether i need a better amp at home since the amp for so-called "band" that i play with is huge and pretty much stationary inside the studio at school. but whatever, i really appreciate your help! thanx!

jwrooker

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2006, 05:33:17 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by StickyThumb

thanks guys! i just got home from the store after trying AD30VT and AD50VT and man they sound nice! (too bad they didnt have AD100VT, bet that would kick some) i think im gonna go with 50 watts though, just so that i dont have to upgrade again soon. Now i have to phone all the stores around and look for the best deal. btw, just to make things clear, quote: "A bit more complicated (and therefore more confusing to a beginner)..." guys... im not a beginner, ive played pretty long and can play pretty darn well, but i just needed to completly make up my mind wether i need a better amp at home since the amp for so-called "band" that i play with is huge and pretty much stationary inside the studio at school. but whatever, i really appreciate your help! thanx!

Even though the Vox is Korean sourced and the Behringer is chinese, I have owned both and I feel the Vox is a bit better built than the Behringer.  The 50 can be a very LOUD amp so be careful not to buy more than you really need. We don't want you going deaf on us before your big break! [:D] There is the variable power control on both the 30 and 50 but my 50 sounds better with that contol full up.

John Rooker
Rochester, NY
--------------

Offline jamrcat

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2006, 06:30:10 PM »
quote:
The one with just a volume control? I'll bet is sounds amazing cranked. It's essentially a hand wired AC30 with a single volume control and that thing that Brian May always used built in. I guess it also has a 15/30w power switch. 15 watts of Vox Class A is still loud.

I have so many knobs already, the idea of a guitar amp with just a volume control soounds refreshing. The only other amp I've enjoyed over the years was a very old Fender Baseman head. I used it with a Fender cab w/2 12" JBL's. Everywhere I played, players tried to buy it off of me. It had and absolute perfect lead sound. I've never been able to duplicate the rawness I got from it! I can't even remember what happenbed to it, it could still be in my attic somewhere! [:0]

Bellingham, WA
"A Fly for each hand!"

Offline rt0412

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2006, 06:30:13 PM »
quote:

quote: "A bit more complicated (and therefore more confusing to a beginner)..." guys... im not a beginner, ive played pretty long and can play pretty darn well... Sorry, if you got offended... but I didn't mean your guitar playing. Obviously, you don't have much experience yet with amps or else you wouldn't be asking for general advice. [:D] Anyway, did you have a chance to try the LX210? Another question, how's the Vox AD50VT compared to your present practice amp? You still think that amps like the Vox would just be a slight improvement over your present setup? You did say that the Vox sounded nice... so how much nicer?

jwrooker

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2006, 07:19:16 PM »
quote:

quote:
The one with just a volume control? I'll bet is sounds amazing cranked. It's essentially a hand wired AC30 with a single volume control and that thing that Brian May always used built in. I guess it also has a 15/30w power switch. 15 watts of Vox Class A is still loud.

I have so many knobs already, the idea of a guitar amp with just a volume control soounds refreshing. The only other amp I've enjoyed over the years was a very old Fender Baseman head. I used it with a Fender cab w/2 12" JBL's. Everywhere I played, players tried to buy it off of me. It had and absolute perfect lead sound. I've never been able to duplicate the rawness I got from it! I can't even remember what happenbed to it, it could still be in my attic somewhere! [:0]

Bellingham, WA

An amp lite the Brian May would probably need something like a THD HotPlate to be versatile.  That way, you could crank the amp and still have some control over the volume.

John Rooker
Rochester, NY
--------------

Offline bno

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2006, 09:19:16 PM »
quote:

The only other amp I've enjoyed over the years was a very old Fender Baseman head.
Dude, find that amp.  It is absolutely golden.  Trust me.  There are two models to look for - blackface with a label on the inside that says AB864 or blackface/silverface with AB165.  They are both killer guitar amps.  With a bit of tweaking and refreshing, they have lead guitar tone that you simply cannot get from pedals or modelers.  If its an AB864, depending on the condition, its probably worth close to a grand, easy.  A Fly loves these amps.
'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.

Offline StickyThumb

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2006, 02:09:33 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by rt0412

quote:

quote: " Anyway, did you have a chance to try the LX210? Another question, how's the Vox AD50VT compared to your present practice amp? You still think that amps like the Vox would just be a slight improvement over your present setup? You did say that the Vox sounded nice... so how much nicer?[/b]

no, havent tried LX210 yet, but hopefully will do this sunday if i get a chance to go to a bigger store in the downtown area, also, VOX sounds ALOT louder then my current amp (almost scary loud, it can be very dangerous, im sure, really gotta watch the volume level when turning it on) and it has a bassier sound, but even with that, it has a huge variety of settings which really do spice up my playing. I also like the defferent sound (that'd be the tone i guess), but it still wasnt convincing enough for me to invest 400 into it just yet, so i try to keep my options open and maybe save up a little more for something that would set me for a number of years to come. Like i said before, thanks for all the help guys! Keep it up!

jwrooker

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2006, 05:29:37 AM »
quote:

no, havent tried LX210 yet, but hopefully will do this sunday if i get a chance to go to a bigger store in the downtown area, also, VOX sounds ALOT louder then my current amp (almost scary loud, it can be very dangerous, im sure, really gotta watch the volume level when turning it on) and it has a bassier sound, but even with that, it has a huge variety of settings which really do spice up my playing. I also like the defferent sound (that'd be the tone i guess), but it still wasnt convincing enough for me to invest 400 into it just yet, so i try to keep my options open and maybe save up a little more for something that would set me for a number of years to come. Like i said before, thanks for all the help guys! Keep it up!
[/quote]

Before you try the Vox again, have a look at the owner's manual and become a little familiar with the way the amp works and you'll be able to evalute it a little better:

http://www.voxamps.co.uk/downloads/AD15_30_50_100VT_E4.pdf

John Rooker
Rochester, NY
--------------

jwrooker

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2006, 06:02:42 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by bno
Dude, find that amp.  It is absolutely golden.  Trust me.  There are two models to look for - blackface with a label on the inside that says AB864 or blackface/silverface with AB165.  They are both killer guitar amps.  With a bit of tweaking and refreshing, they have lead guitar tone that you simply cannot get from pedals or modelers.  If its an AB864, depending on the condition, its probably worth close to a grand, easy.  A Fly loves these amps.

'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.

Blues heaven.  All the shredders are going "where's the gain?".  The original Marshalls were based on the old Bassman circuit, weren't they?  And Messy Boogies were derived from modded Princetons.  Those old Fenders influenced a lot or amps.

John Rooker
Rochester, NY
--------------

Offline rt0412

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2006, 11:25:39 AM »
quote:

no, havent tried LX210 yet, but hopefully will do this sunday if i get a chance to go to a bigger store in the downtown area... I suggest you go to http://www.behringer.com and download the user manual. You must make sure that the amp is set to L2 mode or you'll think that the LX210 stinks. [:D]

but it still wasnt convincing enough for me to invest 400 into it just yet, so i try to keep my options open and maybe save up a little more for something that would set me for a number of years to come. Maybe the LX210 at $250 will convince you. Another alternative is the Line6 Spider II 210 for $300 but it does not come with a footswitch. You have to buy it seperate ($30), so that's an additional expense. Features for features and tonewise, I think the LX210 is a better buy.

Offline pikliakit

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2006, 03:25:42 AM »
Get the Vox.  I have one, and you don't need to spend 500, just 400 for 50 watts.  Believe me, it's better thatn your current 15 watt amp, and there's a watt-age control on the back so you can stay with your customary 15 if you want to.  A word to the wise, however, don't set the delay speed super high with heavy gain, you'll get lot's of feedback, which isn't really a bad thing except that it is painfuly loud, even with low volume.