Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Some nice guitars for your buck  (Read 10706 times)

Offline rt0412

Some nice guitars for your buck
« Reply #75 on: July 12, 2006, 03:37:46 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by jwrooker

Carvin issued a UPS call tag and it will be picked up today.  Probably be a couple weeks before I see it again.  I asked about the 10 day trial and was told that the trial period does not begin until I have a working guitar..so I still have the 10 days trial once it comes back.  That still leaves the door open for me to weigh this Carvin against all of the other good suggestions I've received here.  

Thanks!

John Rooker
Rochester, NY

It appears that all Carvin has to do is fix the first string saddle and you're all set. Were you able to resolve the issue with regards to the Sperzel locking tuners? BTW, when you get it back , will you post some pictures please? [8D]
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 03:41:23 PM by rt0412 »

jwrooker

« Reply #76 on: July 12, 2006, 04:07:53 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by rt0412
It appears that all Carvin has to do is fix the first string saddle and you're all set. Were you able to resolve the issue with regards to the Sperzel locking tuners? BTW, when you get it back , will you post some pictures please? [8D]

They'll have to replace or reposition the ribbon tansducer.  

I sent them the list of initial issues and then added notes explaining what I had done.  When I spoke with their tech on the phone, I told him what I had done and he couldn't think of anything else I could do so he issued the call tag.  The one Sperzel is still a little funky and it's on the list, but it is minor.  I've had klusons that were much worse. :)  Oh, and even though the tech took a little time to get on the line, he was very helpful and everyone I spoke to at Carvin were very friendly and helpful.  Take some notes, US Music!!  

I'll post pictures, but I'll put them on my web host and not here because this really is off topic for a Parker forum.  

John Rooker
Rochester, NY

Offline Musicman1

« Reply #77 on: July 12, 2006, 08:26:30 PM »
Ok cool.  Thanx for the good info John. I was not aware of the different acoustic bridge pickup.  Im sure Carvin will take care of the problem. They seem to be one of the better customer service orientated companies.

Musicman1

2005 Parker P44
2002 EB MM Axis Sport
1984 Custom made boutique Strat
1977 Guild D40 NT
1976 Gibson 335 Custom
Wide variety of amps and effects

Musicman1's current arsenal includes:
2007 EB MM JP6, Mystic Dream, piezo, matching headstock, dot inlays
2005 Parker P44, trans red
2002 EB MM Axis Sport  trans gold, rosewood fingerboard, hum/hum, vintage trem, matching headstock
1984 Custom made boutique Strat
1977 Guild D40 NT
1976 Gibson 335 Custom in sunburst
A variety of "tube free", absolutely non-boutique and completely replaceable amps and effects

Offline rt0412

« Reply #78 on: July 13, 2006, 11:01:22 AM »
quote:

They'll have to replace or reposition the ribbon tansducer. Oops! I keep thinking about individual bridge saddles, I forgot the AE185 (without looking at the picture) is using a more traditional bridge and would therefore have a ribbon transducer instead. [:I] It's kind of weird though that the ribbon transducer worked for five strings only. I haven't seen it happened before. It would be nice if they can tell you how it happened.

I sent them the list of initial issues and then added notes explaining what I had done.  When I spoke with their tech on the phone, I told him what I had done and he couldn't think of anything else I could do so he issued the call tag.  The one Sperzel is still a little funky and it's on the list, but it is minor.  I've had klusons that were much worse. :)  Oh, and even though the tech took a little time to get on the line, he was very helpful and everyone I spoke to at Carvin were very friendly and helpful.  Take some notes, US Music!! They seem to have changed for the better... I've never ordered anything from Carvin (although I like their product's looks, specs and prices) because I've heard horrible stories before about their terrible, arrogant customer service.

I'll post pictures, but I'll put them on my web host and not here because this really is off topic for a Parker forum.  

« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 11:02:58 AM by rt0412 »

jwrooker

« Reply #79 on: July 13, 2006, 11:38:54 AM »
quote:

quote:

They'll have to replace or reposition the ribbon tansducer. Oops! I keep thinking about individual bridge saddles, I forgot the AE185 (without looking at the picture) is using a more traditional bridge and would therefore have a ribbon transducer instead. [:I] It's kind of weird though that the ribbon transducer worked for five strings only. I haven't seen it happened before. It would be nice if they can tell you how it happened.

I sent them the list of initial issues and then added notes explaining what I had done.  When I spoke with their tech on the phone, I told him what I had done and he couldn't think of anything else I could do so he issued the call tag.  The one Sperzel is still a little funky and it's on the list, but it is minor.  I've had klusons that were much worse. :)  Oh, and even though the tech took a little time to get on the line, he was very helpful and everyone I spoke to at Carvin were very friendly and helpful.  Take some notes, US Music!! They seem to have changed for the better... I've never ordered anything from Carvin (although I like their product's looks, specs and prices) because I've heard horrible stories before about their terrible, arrogant customer service.

I did some Googl'ing around yesterday and found some references to similar problems with ribbon transducers.  The transducer is only sensitvie for a give length (I forgot the number) and it can be insttalled so that a string at either end is not picked up.  So, this might simply be a matter of repositioning rather than replacing.  We'll see.  I'm happy so far with the service I've received BUT...I will not order another Carvin guitar.  We go back to that direct sales thing where final QC has to be better than everyone else because you don't have dealers to help.  I hate having to send the thing all the way to California and back again and then have to start the eval process all over again.  I may still tell them to keep it and issue credit.  I have a few days to think about it because it won't arrive there until next Wednesday.  When I originally placed the order, I paid extra for expedited shipping just so it wouldn't have to ride in a UPS truck for a week..now it has to spend two weeks in a UPS truck.

John Rooker
Rochester, NY

Offline rt0412

« Reply #80 on: July 13, 2006, 04:13:03 PM »
quote:

I did some Googl'ing around yesterday and found some references to similar problems with ribbon transducers.  The transducer is only sensitvie for a give length (I forgot the number) and it can be insttalled so that a string at either end is not picked up.  So, this might simply be a matter of repositioning rather than replacing. I wonder if there's a manuafacturer of a two-element piezo transducer... one element covering the wound strings and the other element, the plain strings.

We'll see.  I'm happy so far with the service I've received BUT...I will not order another Carvin guitar.  We go back to that direct sales thing where final QC has to be better than everyone else because you don't have dealers to help. You're right, with direct selling, your QC have to be in tip-top shape, or else it becomes a nightmarish experience for the customer. But I doubt if a store would have been of any help with the problems you experienced. Of course, the store can always get you another one from stock to try (assuming it's not the last one) which admittedly is quite convenient.

I hate having to send the thing all the way to California and back again and then have to start the eval process all over again.  I may still tell them to keep it and issue credit.  I have a few days to think about it because it won't arrive there until next Wednesday.  When I originally placed the order, I paid extra for expedited shipping just so it wouldn't have to ride in a UPS truck for a week..now it has to spend two weeks in a UPS truck. [:(]You should point that out and negotiate for expedited return shipping or else insist that they send you a new one (which on the other hand might be worse than the first one) [xx(]. Oh, well...

« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 04:42:25 PM by rt0412 »

jwrooker

« Reply #81 on: July 13, 2006, 05:43:22 PM »
quote:

quote:

I did some Googl'ing around yesterday and found some references to similar problems with ribbon transducers.  The transducer is only sensitvie for a give length (I forgot the number) and it can be insttalled so that a string at either end is not picked up.  So, this might simply be a matter of repositioning rather than replacing. I wonder if there's a manuafacturer of a two-element piezo transducer... one element covering the wound strings and the other element, the plain strings.

We'll see.  I'm happy so far with the service I've received BUT...I will not order another Carvin guitar.  We go back to that direct sales thing where final QC has to be better than everyone else because you don't have dealers to help. You're right, with direct selling, your QC have to be in tip-top shape, or else it becomes a nightmarish experience for the customer. But I doubt if a store would have been of any help with the problems you experienced. Of course, the store can always get you another one from stock to try (assuming it's not the last one) which admittedly is quite convenient.

I hate having to send the thing all the way to California and back again and then have to start the eval process all over again.  I may still tell them to keep it and issue credit.  I have a few days to think about it because it won't arrive there until next Wednesday.  When I originally placed the order, I paid extra for expedited shipping just so it wouldn't have to ride in a UPS truck for a week..now it has to spend two weeks in a UPS truck. [:(]You should point that out and negotiate for expedited return shipping or else insist that they send you a new one (which on the other hand might be worse than the first one) [xx(]. Oh, well...

Kind of depends on the store.  A Guitar Center or Daddy's couldn't do it, but there are a couple stores around here with qulafied luthiers in the repair shop that could easily do the fix.  

John Rooker
Rochester, NY