Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Need a new amp  (Read 5318 times)

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
Need a new amp
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2006, 03:37:55 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by pikliakit

the Line 6 Spider II 210 Combo is being sold for $300 by musiciansfriend.com, and it looks pretty respectable.

I tried this side by side against the Vox 30 VT, and the Vox smoked it. Hands down, no contest.

Bob

2000 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail  *  1999 Parker Fly Deluxe w/DiBurro Roland Mod Metallic Red  * 1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue (thanks, Darren!) •  Now on a signature reduction program! Just the Flies, maam. *  www.rtmadvertising.com
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

Need a new amp

Offline rt0412

Need a new amp
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2006, 05:16:08 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by pikliakit

the Line 6 Spider II 210 Combo is being sold for $300 by musiciansfriend.com, and it looks pretty respectable.

The Line 6 Spider II 210 ($330, must buy the $30 2-button foot pedal seperate) is $80 more than the Behringer LX210 ($250, 2-button foot pedal included). The LX210 gives you the most bang for your money and has more realistic sound than the Spider II 210. If for some reason you don't like the LX210, buy the AD30VT instead ($240).

Need a new amp

jwrooker

Need a new amp
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2006, 05:36:10 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by rt0412

The Line 6 Spider II 210 ($330, must buy the $30 2-button foot pedal seperate) is $80 more than the Behringer LX210 ($250, 2-button foot pedal included). The LX210 gives you the most bang for your money and has more realistic sound than the Spider II 210. If for some reason you don't like the LX210, buy the AD30VT instead ($240).

How's Behringer's reliability been?  My bass player bought a little Behringer bass amp as a practice amp and it lasted two weeks.  I bought one of their little guitar amps and it sounded so awful I couldn't stand to use it.  I also had a GX210 (I think) and it sounded pretty good, it was before they included modeling.  It was a  one trick pony though..good clean but you didn't want to hear it's overdrive sound.  I have two of the Vox AD series, the 15 and the 50 and they both have done well.  I take the 15 to jams and everyone likes what comes out of that little box.

John Rooker
Rochester, NY

Need a new amp

Offline uburoibob

Need a new amp
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2006, 06:46:01 PM »
I have a pair of Behringer's TRUTH B2031A Monitors for recording , and they sound great and have lasted six months so far. I am in a high RF area, so they do get some radio station interference (very faint, but annoying), but Berhringer sent me shields to install to take care of the problem. Sadly, I have to take them to the dealer to install them, cuz I don't have the technical expertise.

I haven't really owned any other Behirnger stuff. I know that it's some of the least expensive stuff on the face of the earth, but not bad in terms of failure rate (according to my client who is a retailer of this stuff). I'd probably give them another chance, depending on what it is I was buying from them.

As an aside, cuz this is what this thread is about - I DID try the Behringer amps in the Vox's price range, again side by side with the Vox, but still liked the Vox better. The Valvetronix amp line is just one of those magic amp lines that come along so rarely.

Bob

2000 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail  *  1999 Parker Fly Deluxe w/DiBurro Roland Mod Metallic Red  * 1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue (thanks, Darren!) •  Now on a signature reduction program! Just the Flies, maam. *  www.rtmadvertising.com
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 06:48:55 PM by uburoibob »
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

Need a new amp

Offline rt0412

Need a new amp
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2006, 08:11:57 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by jwrooker

How's Behringer's reliability been?  My bass player bought a little Behringer bass amp as a practice amp and it lasted two weeks.  I bought one of their little guitar amps and it sounded so awful I couldn't stand to use it.  I also had a GX210 (I think) and it sounded pretty good, it was before they included modeling.  It was a  one trick pony though..good clean but you didn't want to hear it's overdrive sound.  I have two of the Vox AD series, the 15 and the 50 and they both have done well.  I take the 15 to jams and everyone likes what comes out of that little box.

I quite agree with your comments about the little Behringer amps... horrible.

With regards to practice bass amps, I see them failing left and right, regardless of brands. I think what's happening is the tendency of the players to crank the volume to the max. A bass guitar, because of it's bigger gauge strings have lots of sustain. So, the poor amp is being driven 100% all the time causing the amp IC or the power transistors to overheat and eventually die. Most of the time it's the amp that burns out but sometimes it's the speaker that burns out.

Same thing happens with most guitar amps on high distortion mode at full volume whether using power transistors, power ICs or tubes. Vacuum tubes have the advantage  of rarely failing in a catastrophic manner unlike the solid-state devices.

I've had the Behringer LX112 for almost 2 years now and it's still OK.  I bought it used for $169 and I updated the EPROM chip. I never had any need to crank it to the max, that's probably why it's still going. My son is using it now as his practice amp. He digs some of the amp simulations (the high-gain ones mostly and some clean ones). I bought the amp because of its versatility. I can plug-in a headphone for practicing late at night, hook it up direct to the mixing board or PA (it's got cab sims), use it as a combo amp or use it as a head amp by plugging-in external cabs. A lot of people are not aware of the different modes of the V-Amp and usually evaluate it in S1 mode, which sounds horrible when using the internal speaker(s) or external cab(s). I can understand Behringer setting the V-Amp Pro to default in S1 mode but why they set the LX1200H, LX210 and LX112 to default in S1 mode I cannot understand. The default should be L2 for those amps.

Anyway, I was also planning to hook it up to a PC computer to play with the settings but I just got too busy, I haven't tried that yet.

The Vox AD30VT is not that versatile... I do like the power level control though. I guess I can buy one and modify it to make it a bit more versatile.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 08:22:47 PM by rt0412 »

Need a new amp

Offline uburoibob

Need a new amp
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2006, 08:17:36 PM »
Agreed that the Vox amp is not as versatile. But for what it does, it does it very well. More just the sound as an amp that I was looking for. My effects are always external.

Bob

Need a new amp

jwrooker

Need a new amp
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2006, 06:26:12 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by uburoibob

Agreed that the Vox amp is not as versatile. But for what it does, it does it very well. More just the sound as an amp that I was looking for. My effects are always external.

To me that is a plus.  I basically hate modeling amps so I wanted something closer to a "real" amp and that's what the Vox offered.  It gave me a chance to have a few different amp types without all the other junk.  I would greatly prefer to have a real Fender Bassman, Vox AC30 and Marshall JCM 800, but they are hard to fit in my little bedroom studio and I'd get another hernia loading them into the car!

John Rooker
Rochester, NY

Need a new amp

Offline rt0412

Need a new amp
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2006, 11:47:14 AM »
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by uburoibob

To me that is a plus.  I basically hate modeling amps so I wanted something closer to a "real" amp and that's what the Vox offered.  It gave me a chance to have a few different amp types without all the other junk.  I would greatly prefer to have a real Fender Bassman, Vox AC30 and Marshall JCM 800, but they are hard to fit in my little bedroom studio and I'd get another hernia loading them into the car!

OK guys, I give up! I'm going to get a Vox AD30VT for myself, by hook or by crook... [^]

Need a new amp

jwrooker

Need a new amp
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2006, 04:52:41 PM »
quote:
 OK guys, I give up! I'm going to get a Vox AD30VT for myself, by hook or by crook... [^]

Buy it from North Coast Music with the vintage Vox grille cloth.  Everyone will think you have a vintage AC15.

John Rooker
Rochester, NY

Need a new amp

Offline rt0412

Need a new amp
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2006, 07:44:16 PM »
quote:

Buy it from North Coast Music with the vintage Vox grille cloth.  Everyone will think you have a vintage AC15.

Wow! It's beautiful... [:p] thanks for the tip, but I may have to pass on that one [:(]. I still have a couple of $100 Guitar Center gift cards from my kids (Xmas & BDay) that I'll probably use to buy the Vox 30. There's also the possibility of trading one of my guitars for the Vox 30.

By the way, I studied the Vox VT manual carefully and it does use digital modeling of the various amps it emulates (24-bit A/D, D/A conversion with 44.1 kHz sampling frequency). The only difference compared to other modeling amps is the output stage. It employs a real low-wattage tube power amp that is post ampflified by a higher powered solid-state power amp. So, in reality, the Vox AD30VT is a modeling amp.

I have been toying with the same concept, not aware that Vox have beaten me to the punch by a long stretch! I was thinking of using a push-pull low power tube output stage to drive a very linear solid state main amp. Instead of digital emulation though, I was thinking along the lines of using pluggable tube preamps like the Randall MTS series... makes the amp a bit lighter by eliminating the big power output transformer. Heck, why even develop the preamps? Just order the MTS preamps and plug them in!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 07:44:46 PM by rt0412 »

Need a new amp

jwrooker

Need a new amp
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2006, 07:57:48 PM »
quote:

By the way, I studied the Vox VT manual carefully and it does use digital modeling of the various amps it emulates (24-bit A/D, D/A conversion with 44.1 kHz sampling frequency). The only difference compared to other modeling amps is the output stage. It employs a real low-wattage tube power amp that is post ampflified by a higher powered solid-state power amp. So, in reality, the Vox AD30VT is a modeling amp.

Yep, I know it's a modeling amp, it's just a different approach that works for me.

John Rooker
Rochester, NY

Need a new amp

Offline Abby

Need a new amp
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2006, 02:10:39 PM »
wow, I bought the Vox AD30VT and it just came today. It came at 10 AM; it's now 2:09 PM and I just stopped playing. this amp is great! Thanks a lot for all the tips or input everyone. :)

Need a new amp

Offline jamrcat

Need a new amp
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2006, 02:19:41 PM »
quote:
wow, I bought the Vox AD30VT and it just came today.
Congrats Abby, on making a great decision and purchase! [:p]

Bellingham, WA
"A Fly for each hand!"

Need a new amp

Offline audient277

Need a new amp
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2006, 03:05:13 PM »
I love my AD15VT. It does everything I wanted/needed and then some.