Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: bass amp  (Read 5138 times)

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
bass amp
« on: July 14, 2006, 07:54:12 PM »
ok I may be on thin ice with this thread but this is really a bass player question.

My son wants a new (better) amp for his Dean Base guitar (it will be a long while before he could even consider a Parker base--but maybe someday)

A new amp may be a present for his 15th birthday--maybe. He bought his own base. I pay for the lessons. Not sure about the cost of the base amp.

Anyway his teacher recommended a Gallien-Krueger? Is that a good brand base amp?

Of course I wanted to pass it by the Forum Gurus for any input/help

Thanks, bill

Custom '03 Hardtail Artist ; Fly Deluxe 2000; Gibson ES137; 1974 K.Yari DY85; Waterproof SchecterDisposable; Martin Backpacker/paddle combo;LarriveeParlor
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 08:28:40 PM by Bill »
A few Flys in my soup

bass amp

Offline 908ssp

bass amp
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 08:24:59 PM »
G&K they make good amp all solid state usually very small size with aluminum cabinets. Is he getting a combo or a head & cab? I think the two piece would be the wiser choice as each piece is lighter and the vibrations of the cab are more isolated from the head by virtue of the feet. Lots of people don't realize how much power a bass rig takes easy three times as much as a guitar. Look at the Eden for some top line stuff. I want one of those vintage flip top Ampegs.

[^]

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

bass amp

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
bass amp
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 08:40:03 PM »
Thanks for your input Alex. Any idea on cost range? His teacher did say he thought they sold them at GC. I have no idea what size wattage/cost runs for a base amp. I guess the seperate head/cab is more? I am just starting to research.

BTW, I get some cool sounds with my flys mags through his little crate bass practice amp [:D] (still keep piezos thru the big keyboard amp--love that one)

I still have no idea what I'm doing but having loads of fun--b

Custom '03 Hardtail Artist ; Fly Deluxe 2000; Gibson ES137; 1974 K.Yari DY85; Waterproof SchecterDisposable; Martin Backpacker/paddle combo;LarriveeParlor
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 08:42:52 PM by Bill »
A few Flys in my soup

bass amp

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
bass amp
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 08:52:04 PM »
Is this the one ??

Gallien-Krueger Brat Pack Half-Stack Bass Amp Package
Product #482546

View Larger Photo
See More Photos New!
View our Return Policy
See Related Items

Features:   8.75
Quality:   8.30
Value:   8.75
Overall:   8.35
(Based on 40 ratings and reviews)
Rate This Product | Write a Review
Read Reviews  

SAVE $350.00 (50%) When You Buy Today!
List:  $699.99
Our Price: $399.99
Sale Price: $349.99
Guaranteed Lowest Price!
Platinum
Payments:  As Low As $15/mo

Availability: In Stock  
Gold Coverage: As Low As $38.50

Quantity:

Eligible for Free Shipping! US Only*  

A ready-to-play gig rig.

Includes BP250 head, 115BPX speaker cab, covers for both, speaker cable, and instrument cable. That's 125W of trademark GK tone pushing a 15" speaker for plenty of volume.

The BP250 head features 125W power, bass-specific 4-band active EQ, adjustable voice contour, effects loop, Boost valve effect, XLR out with ground and pre/post switch, and tuner out. 2-year warranty.

The 115BPX speaker cab features a 15" woofer in a rear-ported cabinet with 200W handling, 1/4" input, MDF construction, black carpet covering, 16-gauge steel grille, removable nickel-plated casters, custom tooled interlocking corners, 50Hz-5kHz frequency response, and 96dB sensitivity. 60 lbs. 23"W x 23"H x 18"D. 1-year warranty on speaker. 2-year warranty on electronics.

Gallien-Krueger Brat Pack Half-Stack Bass Amp Package Features:

BP250 head and 115BPX speaker cab
Head and cabinet covers
Speaker cable, and instrument cable
2-year warranty

BP250: 125W power, bass-specific 4-band active EQ, adjustable voice contour, effects loop, Boost valve effect, XLR out with ground and pre/post switch, and tuner out

115BPX speaker cab: 15" woofer, rear-ported cabinet, 200W handling, 1/4" input, MDF construction, black carpet covering, 16-gauge steel grille, removable nickel-plated casters, custom tooled interlocking corners, 50Hz-5kHz frequency response, and 96dB sensitivity
1-year warranty on speaker
2-year warranty on electronics

Gallien-Krueger Brat Pack Half-Stack Bass Amp Package Specifications:

115BPX: 60 lbs. 23"W x 23"H x 18"D
BP250: 12 lbs. 17"W x 3-1/2"H x 8-1/4"D

A few Flys in my soup

bass amp

Offline jamrcat

bass amp
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 08:59:03 PM »
G&K's are great. Buy what you can afford in pieces. I would suggest Hartke cabs. You don't have to buy monster stuff, in fact it would save you some foundation work on your house if you kept it small! Just buy small quality stuff. My daughter started playing concerts as a bass player when she was 10. Her rigs are still functioning. We used mostly 15" Black Widow(Peavey's)and 10" JBL's in her cabinets. She still has her original Gallen Krueger bass head. Never had a problem or repair in 20 years. She use to shake everything, amd I mean everything in our house and our neighbors house! [^]

Bellingham, WA
"A Fly for each hand!"

bass amp

Offline 908ssp

bass amp
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 08:41:50 AM »
That sounds like a great setup and the price is cheap but that cab isn't correct. In that it isn't a full range cab that will you need for bass and you will either be disappointed with the lack of sparkle spank and high end or you will buy a second high end cab.

Check this cab http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/GallienKrueger-115SBXII-Bass-Cabinet?sku=482596 also at MF you will notice it has a horn and the 15 speaker, this one you could used by itself with real good results. Often a single 15 will be paired up with a pair of 10s.

125watts solid state is bare minimum to keep up with a loud rock drummer. Will it shake the foundations? It will seem so, but put that loud drummer in there and a school auditorium size stage and those watts disappear fast. Remember that solid state watts just don't sound as loud as tube watts and that low end takes huge amounts of power to project. My 50 tube Bassman head can barely keep up with 7 watt Gretsch and a small acoustic drum kit played in my music room.

Alex

« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 08:46:12 AM by 908ssp »
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

bass amp

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
bass amp
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2006, 10:02:06 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by 908ssp

G&K they make good amp all solid state usually very small size with aluminum cabinets. Is he getting a combo or a head & cab? I think the two piece would be the wiser choice as each piece is lighter and the vibrations of the cab are more isolated from the head by virtue of the feet. Lots of people don't realize how much power a bass rig takes easy three times as much as a guitar. Look at the Eden for some top line stuff. I want one of those vintage flip top Ampegs.

[^]

Alex

Hey Alex, here's a second Gen 70s version. Not as elegant as the etched plexi version, but these sounded great...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ampeg-B-15N-Portaflex-Bass-Amplifier-Vintage-B15N-Amp_W0QQitemZ150008855513QQihZ005QQcategoryZ121156QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

of course, then I went back and found this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/64-Ampeg-B-15-NC-Portafex-Tube-Bass-Amp-w-JBL-Speaker_W0QQitemZ320005328269QQihZ011QQcategoryZ121156QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

These are great amps.

Bill:

my bass player uses the new GK Micro Combo and it's AMAZINGLY powerful for what we do, which is pretty volume-contolled. He bought a second cab, which doubles the power, for our outdoor gigs and bigger places. He loves it - it's very light weight - and I love it too. He went for the less expensive version without the effects. On a side note, I played through a GK 250ML for the second half of the 80s - every day - and it still works perfectly. I heartily recommend them.

Bob

2000 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail  *  1999 Parker Fly Deluxe w/DiBurro Roland Mod Metallic Red  * 1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue (thanks, Darren!) •  Now on a signature reduction program! Just the Flies, maam. *  www.rtmadvertising.com
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 10:07:29 AM by uburoibob »
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

bass amp

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
bass amp
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2006, 04:41:40 PM »
Wow you guys are great. I feel soo lucky to have found this forum. Many times I have "googled" things trying to learn and to my initial surprise,a reference to this forum pops up. Thanks so much for the scoop.(again)

Apparantly my boy's been bitten good, so it probably will pay off to aim a little higher in his next base amp.

He starts jazz band at school this fall so he will go from once to twice a week lessons and his little 3 boy band plays/practices regularly and they are sounding good and expanding their tastes.(all are 14 yo's).

It blows me away how fast they can learn. I remember teaching chords to the guitarist in my daughters band  a couple of years ago and now I can't keep up with that girl. She tries to show me stuff but it takes me forever to get it. All 3 girls read music effortlessly(guitar,drums, base). I still can't do that. They are only 16 and they rock! My daughter plays drums (and keyboard). They all learn at twice my pace.

The Boys' band are less focused of course. Attention defecit disorder goes with the y chromosome and the testosterone surges distract from synchronized efforts but they are doing way better than I did at that age. They seem fearless. I was always too afraid of failure and was most comfortable when I knew no one could hear me.(?)...

Anyway, if you don't mind Alex, I may call you again before buying a base amp in mid August. If you don't mind Bob, I may email you too.

I would feel better getting the exact set up from you two.--bill

A few Flys in my soup

bass amp

Offline 908ssp

bass amp
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2006, 06:07:57 PM »
Hey Bill no problem you can call me anytime. I don't want to be seen as dictating to you what to buy just trying to pointing out some peculiarities in buying a bass amp. It is such a bummer buying something and finding out a week later you bought the wrong thing. Of course most mail order companies allow you to return stuff for quit a long time.

Hey Bob I just put the new speakers and changed the chorus switch on my G&K 250ML. I can't wait for an opportunity to use it. Bill the 250ML is about the size of a lunch box with two 4 inch speakers.

[^]

Alex

Alex

bass amp

Offline uburoibob

bass amp
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2006, 06:20:27 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by 908ssp

Hey Bob I just put the new speakers and changed the chorus switch on my G&K 250ML. I can't wait for an opportunity to use it. Bill the 250ML is about the size of a lunch box with two 4 inch speakers.

[^]

Alex

Hey Alex, Did you put direct replacements in, or is there a hi-fi alternative? The only maintenance I've really needed to do to mine is cleaning the input jack. During the mid to late 80s, it was literally lit every night of the week for a minimum of 4 hours per night (we practiced like crazy). Still quite a little dynamo.

Bob

2000 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail  *  1999 Parker Fly Deluxe w/DiBurro Roland Mod Metallic Red  * 1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue (thanks, Darren!) •  Now on a signature reduction program! Just the Flies, maam. *  www.rtmadvertising.com
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

bass amp

Offline uburoibob

bass amp
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2006, 06:22:25 PM »
Bill, feel free to email, call, whatever you like.

Bob

bass amp

Offline 908ssp

bass amp
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2006, 09:55:44 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by uburoibobHey Alex, Did you put direct replacements in, or is there a hi-fi alternative?

Hi Bob I ordered them from G&K. I was think you told me to? Some one some where told me to call G&K and I did and they were out of stock at the time but said they had new ones coming because they were going to reissue that amp. So I got whatever they are putting in the new ones. They were $45 a piece not bad for a specialty speaker like these. This is the first time I have replaced a switch on a printed circuit board so I was pleased that went well. I couldn't try it tonight I have been without power for the last four hours. So I had to play my acoustic while it was light enough out doors. [;)]

[^]

Alex

Alex

bass amp

Offline gbass56

bass amp
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2006, 11:10:07 PM »
Bill,

I play through a GK 400RB, which powers a Hartke 15 cabinet and 2 X10 cabinet...great sound and it serves me well in a "Jam" band situation that I'm currently doing.  I also use a GK MB-S for jazz gigs and shows...I believe it's roughly 150 watts with a 10" speaker.  It's a terrific amp...it can get loud and not distort...I love it.  It's a one piece design that is small, light and a breeze to transport.  Good luck.

quote:
Originally posted by Bill

ok I may be on thin ice with this thread but this is really a bass player question.

My son wants a new (better) amp for his Dean Base guitar (it will be a long while before he could even consider a Parker base--but maybe someday)

A new amp may be a present for his 15th birthday--maybe. He bought his own base. I pay for the lessons. Not sure about the cost of the base amp.

Anyway his teacher recommended a Gallien-Krueger? Is that a good brand base amp?

Of course I wanted to pass it by the Forum Gurus for any input/help

Thanks, bill

Gerry

bass amp

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
bass amp
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2006, 08:12:44 AM »
Thanks Gerry. That really helps [:)]

A few Flys in my soup

bass amp

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
bass amp
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2006, 08:09:21 PM »
OK I went to GC today to Buy the base for my 15 yo.

The GK micro combo was not in stock and although looked incredable, at almost 800 bucks it was out of my price range anyway.

They had other GK/ "Backstage" stuff there with lots of bells and whisles. But armed with very little knowledge, I decided to keep it simple.

I narrowed it down to the Ampeg BA115 (100 watts, 15 inch speaker,tweeter?, 60lbs; on sale for 349) and the Ampeg BA115HP (220 watts, 15 inch, horn, 80lbs; on sale for 549).

The electronics/effects were sparse and seemed the same except the HP had a tuner(big deal) and more adjustments/shaping for the highs. The limited eq and sparse effects looked the same. The salesman, who I had dealt with before, is good at what he does.

To make a long story short, I walked out with the 220 watt HP. I do have 30 days to take it back. The down side of both these amps is (1)no external loop and (2)no jack for an external cab. So not the usual versatility for this price range. But from what I have read they do have good tone and are built like a tank. I would think either would be OK for practice with his 4 piece band and any small teenage-type venue.

I am not sure the extra 200 bucks for the extra 100 watts and tuner/horn was a value but in the spur of the moment, the salesman convinced me otherwise.

Anyone know these particular base amps?

Custom '03 Hardtail Artist ; Fly Deluxe 2000; Gibson ES137; 1974 K.Yari DY85; Waterproof SchecterDisposable; Martin Backpacker/paddle combo;LarriveeParlor; numerous borrowed amps
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 08:11:22 PM by Bill »
A few Flys in my soup