Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Harmos Electric Guitars, Evo or Intel Design?  (Read 37606 times)

Offline rt0412

Harmos Electric Guitars, Evo or Intel Design?
« on: July 18, 2006, 12:37:58 AM »
Guys, check this out http://www.harmosmusic.com/.

Looks like a tinkertoy guitar... [;)]
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 12:45:25 AM by rt0412 »

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 02:10:41 AM »
ugly, but at the same time it really appeals to my sense of individuality.  they are looking at the guitar with an open mind.  take away all the red bits and it would be something that buckminster would approve of!
2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo signed by Steve Vai, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 07:21:01 AM »
Evolution or intelligent design?

Neither!

Geodesic dome aside, I am pretty sure that Mr. Fuller would find that the "form over function" factor is not in keeping with his ideals!

Bob

2000 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail  *  1999 Parker Fly Deluxe w/DiBurro Roland Mod Metallic Red  * 1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue (thanks, Darren!) •  Now on a signature reduction program! Just the Flies, maam. *  www.rtmadvertising.com
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 10:24:47 PM by uburoibob »
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

Offline Musicman1

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 09:32:47 AM »
Too gimmicky.  Made for the modern art museum.  It looks like my son made it out of K'nex pieces.  I cant image it would really sound good. Some people here complain about the Parker design and how it bothers their comfort.  I cant image this would be good standing or sitting. Its like a gtr skeleton.

Musicman1

2005 Parker P44
2002 EB MM Axis Sport
1984 Custom made boutique Strat
1977 Guild D40 NT
1976 Gibson 335 Custom
Wide variety of amps and effects

« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 09:33:53 AM by Musicman1 »
Musicman1's current arsenal includes:
2007 EB MM JP6, Mystic Dream, piezo, matching headstock, dot inlays
2005 Parker P44, trans red
2002 EB MM Axis Sport  trans gold, rosewood fingerboard, hum/hum, vintage trem, matching headstock
1977 Guild D40 NT
1976 Gibson 335 Custom in sunburst
A variety of "tube free", absolutely non-boutique and completely replaceable amps and effects

Offline Musicman1

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 09:37:35 AM »
I looked at their website and...alright...I'll take some of it back. They are primarily known for lapsteels which I can sort of see working w/their "truss" design. I still say forget the gtr.

Musicman1

2005 Parker P44
2002 EB MM Axis Sport
1977 Guild D40 NT
1976 Gibson 335 Custom
Wide variety of amps and effects

« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 09:38:45 AM by Musicman1 »
Musicman1's current arsenal includes:
2007 EB MM JP6, Mystic Dream, piezo, matching headstock, dot inlays
2005 Parker P44, trans red
2002 EB MM Axis Sport  trans gold, rosewood fingerboard, hum/hum, vintage trem, matching headstock
1977 Guild D40 NT
1976 Gibson 335 Custom in sunburst
A variety of "tube free", absolutely non-boutique and completely replaceable amps and effects

Offline rt0412

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 10:16:57 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Musicman1

I looked at their website and...alright...I'll take some of it back. They are primarily known for lapsteels which I can sort of see working w/their "truss" design. I still say forget the gtr.

The Harmos lapsteel looks OK, does not really look that weird. The guitar is another story though... it is so far out, it makes the Parker guitars look vintage. For most of us, if we have $1600, and have to choose between a Parker NiteFly and a Harmos Matrax, the NiteFly would win most of the time, right? But what, if the Matrax really has a sound to die for (or kill for)? Unfortunately we have not heard it yet, not even a sample clip. If the Parker Flys are "hard" to market, for the Harmos Matrax, it would be several times harder, I think.

Offline trap

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 02:50:09 PM »
i could see a band, in that alien bar scene in star wars, playing that thing.but the guitarist would have to have antenna's.

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 03:02:26 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by uburoibob

, I am pretty sure that Mr. Fuller would find that the "form over function: factor is not in keeping with his ideals!

Absolutely correct. Bucky would have asked "how is this doing more with less?" The answer is it isn't. On the other hand the Parker is very much in the thinking of Mr. Fuller. You take a shape that gives you a neck that is impossibly thin right down to the 24th fret and then with adding the least amount of the strongest lightest substance known make it ten time stronger then it would be without it and achieve something that was not possible before. That's synergy, that's creative, that's intelligent.

[^]

Alex

« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 03:02:52 PM by 908ssp »
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 06:30:18 PM »
MIT Tinker Toy project taken further than it should have.

I'd call it a hollow body except, well, it has no body.

Could just call it Hollow electric ?

Still interesting. Don't blow it off right away just cause its cheezy.

Back to the wonderful Star Wars reference: imaginge what you could do if each of the "nodes" of the "structure" were actually some type of New vibration sensitive pick up.

The only thing resonating aside from the strings would be that "infrastructure" and each "nodal pickup" could be split or synchronized with others (or all) in an infinatly variable array of combinations that would take a lifetime just to touch the surface of.

Still the neck doesn't fit the theme-- it should be plexi glass/transparant.

The neck could have impregnated diodes that light up at the fretted note. Each nodal pichup could light up when activated too. Then the guitar could be simultaneously "signing music" to all the deaf rock and roll fans. We could assign a mathamatical meaning to each sequence  and Herman Hesse's Glass Bead Game would become actualized.

ET could finally phone home.

Or , more important than all that, Do chicks dig it [?]

Custom '03 Hardtail Artist ; Fly Deluxe 2000; Gibson ES137; 1974 K.Yari DY85; Waterproof SchecterDisposable; Martin Backpacker/paddle combo;LarriveeParlor
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 06:32:51 PM by Bill »
A few Flys in my soup

Offline jamrcat

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006, 10:43:49 PM »
Strap a rocket to it and send it to space where it belongs![:D]

Bellingham, WA
"A Fly for each hand!"

Offline darc

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2006, 02:18:44 PM »
That's nothing.  This guy builds the real deal:

http://www.teuffelguitars.de/instrumente/birdfish/index_e.html

Offline jamrcat

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2006, 03:28:30 PM »
quote:
That's nothing. This guy builds the real deal:
Replaceable resonating tubes, not in my wildest imagination. Maybe this is the future! Not for me, and I suspect the same for the majority of serious players. Hand finished, carved and otherwise wood is one of the appealing factors in a guitar. Until that changes and I don't believe it will in my lifetime, these techno gimmick guitars will only be a novelty. IMHO [^]

Bellingham, WA
"A Fly for each hand!"

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2006, 06:14:04 PM »
That's nothing. This guy builds the real deal:

I'm speechless. "Techno gimmick" for sure but I'd love to test drive one.

I'm probably more old fasion than Jamcat. In fact, I still play my old wood acoustics because there is something wonderful about old wood and something wierd about having to plug in an instrument.

Then I remember the guitar is a fairly modern instrument. Can you imagine what hell the first guitar player caught from the "classic musicians"  of the day ? (who were probably percussionists).

They probably looked at the new guy with gut strings strapped over a hollow wooden box and sneared "what a techno gizmo--a real instrument is something that sounds good when you beat it with a stick" [:)]

Custom '03 Hardtail Artist ; Fly Deluxe 2000; Gibson ES137; 1974 K.Yari DY85; Waterproof SchecterDisposable; Martin Backpacker/paddle combo;LarriveeParlor
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 06:28:23 PM by Bill »
A few Flys in my soup

Offline rt0412

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2006, 10:30:31 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by darc

That's nothing.  This guy builds the real deal:

Both the Harmos Matrax and the Teuffel BirdFish looks more like space-age weapons of mass-destruction...

Anyway, some people do call the electric guitars axes, so maybe it's consistent with the "evolution" of the guitar.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 10:37:03 PM by rt0412 »

Offline pikliakit

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2006, 09:54:02 PM »
Have I seen a ZZ Top guy with one of those?
I think that these guitars are cool, but not for me.  The RKS wave type stuff is about where I draw the line of guitar shapes I can picture as blues-rock guitars.  Speaking of axes, what about those old Ovation solid-bodies?