Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Anyone else receiving scam emails from this forum?  (Read 9298 times)

Offline GuitarGuy510

Anyone else receiving scam emails from this forum?
« on: July 31, 2006, 07:17:45 AM »
Hey guys,

I recently signed up for this forum, it's been like a week and already I'm getting scam emails from some tool in Africa.  The email is addressed as having come from the forum, wasn't sure if this has happend to anyone else?  Here's what he sent to me:

From frank kufo.
frankkufo0@yahoo.fr
Abidjan,Ivory Coast

Dear one,

I am frank kufo, The only child of late Mr and Mrs  kufo, My Late father was a very wealthy cocoa merchant based in abidjan, the economic capital of ivory coast before he was poisoned to death by his business associates on one of their outing to discuss on a business deal.

When my mother died on the 21st october 1990, my father took me so special because iam motherless. Before the death of my father on 24th januery 2004 in a private hospital here in abidjan.

He secretly called me on his bedside and told me that he has a sum of (US$4,500,000.00)four million five hundred thousand united states dollars) left in a suspense account in a local bank here in abidjan, that he used my name as his only son for the next of kin in deposit of the fund.

He also explained to me that it was because of this wealth that he was poisoned by his business associates, that i should seek for a foreign partner in a country of my choice where i will transfer this money and use it for investment purpose ,(such as real estate management). Dear,i am honourably seeking your assistance in the following ways .

1) To provide a bank account where this money would be transfered.
2) To serve as the guardian of this fund.
3) To make arrangement for me to come over to your country to further my education and to secure a residential permit for me in your country.
 moreover, dear, i am willing to offer you 15% of the total sum as compensation for your effort input after the successful transfer of this fund to your nominated account oversea.

Hoping to hear from hearing  you soonest.

Thanks And God Bless.

Best regards.
Frank Kufo.

How lame is that?  Of course, let me pay for your plane ticket to the US.... and then you can give me some money?!  SWEET DEAL!!!  Sign me up, sir! [V]

-[matt]-

My Gear:
Thorn # 153 (in progress), PRS CE-24, Ibanez RG 7620

Egnater M4, Mesa 50/50, EarCandy BuzzBombs, Mesa Thiele (EVM12-L)

PumaBoard #11, HBE Psilocybe, Boss DD-20, BYOC Delay and Deluxe Chorus, Line 6 Verbzilla
-[matt]-

My Gear:
Thorn # 153
Assorted other guitars :)

Hughes and Kettner - TriAmp MKII Alex Lifeson sig model

Bogner 4x12 cabinet

Offline kwill

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 08:02:21 AM »
Yes, I'm getting them too. :(

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 09:27:34 AM »
Yeah, I got that stoopid email, too. All admin has to do is delete that user. I get these phony members at my forum, too, and I have to delete them. It's just annoying! [:(!]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com

Offline rt0412

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 10:26:10 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by GuitarGuy510

Hey guys,

I recently signed up for this forum, it's been like a week and already I'm getting scam emails from some tool in Africa.  The email is addressed as having come from the forum, wasn't sure if this has happend to anyone else?  Here's what he sent to me:

From frank kufo.
frankkufo0@yahoo.fr
Abidjan,Ivory Coast

Dear one,

I am frank kufo, The only child of late Mr and Mrs  kufo, My Late father was a very wealthy cocoa merchant based in abidjan, the economic capital of ivory coast before he was poisoned to death by his business associates on one of their outing to discuss on a business deal.

When my mother died on the 21st october 1990, my father took me so special because iam motherless. Before the death of my father on 24th januery 2004 in a private hospital here in abidjan.

He secretly called me on his bedside and told me that he has a sum of (US$4,500,000.00)four million five hundred thousand united states dollars) left in a suspense account in a local bank here in abidjan, that he used my name as his only son for the next of kin in deposit of the fund.

He also explained to me that it was because of this wealth that he was poisoned by his business associates, that i should seek for a foreign partner in a country of my choice where i will transfer this money and use it for investment purpose ,(such as real estate management). Dear,i am honourably seeking your assistance in the following ways .

3) To make arrangement for me to come over to your country to further my education and to secure a residential permit for me in your country.
 moreover, dear, i am willing to offer you 15% of the total sum as compensation for your effort input after the successful transfer of this fund to your nominated account oversea.

Thanks And God Bless.

Best regards.
Frank Kufo.

How lame is that?  Of course, let me pay for your plane ticket to the US.... and then you can give me some money?!  SWEET DEAL!!!  Sign me up, sir! [V]

-[matt]-

My Gear:
Thorn # 153 (in progress), PRS CE-24, Ibanez RG 7620

PumaBoard #11, HBE Psilocybe, Boss DD-20, BYOC Delay and Deluxe Chorus, Line 6 Verbzilla

Here's my reply to frank kufo (or frank01 or is it prank?) [}:)]

Dear Frank,

Ok, I'm going to setup a new bank account to receive the money you're talking about. But first of all, I'm not willing to do it for 15% only. My cut have to be 25%. If this is OK with you, please advice and give me the suspended bank account number so I can get things moving. :-)

Have a good day,

rt0412

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 10:52:13 AM »
Can you say "phishing"?! [xx(]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com

Offline RareBird0

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 11:26:39 AM »
I got the same thing today 7/31/06 (below). I'm really sick of this nonsense. I'm getting three of these type things a day on my regular e-mail and now one with my username and through this forum. WTF?

Hello RareBird0

You received the following message from: frank01 (frankkufo0@yahoo.fr)

At: http://forums.parkerguitars.com/

From frank kufo.
frankkufo0@yahoo.fr
Abidjan,Ivory Coast

Dear one,

Thanks And God Bless.

Best regards.
Frank Kufo.

Parker NiteFly M
Steinberger Synaspe
Taylor 414 Koa
Blake Bass(Steinberger clone)
Parker NiteFly M
Breedlove AD25SR plus
Martin XC1T Eclipse
Fender Jazz Bass (Geddy Lee signature model)

Offline Musicman1

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 11:56:58 AM »
Oh...so this is where these are coming from!!! Thanks for the info 510.

Musicman1

2005 Parker P44
2002 EB MM Axis Sport
1984 Custom made boutique Strat
1977 Guild D40 NT
1976 Gibson 335 Custom
Wide variety of amps and effects

Musicman1's current arsenal includes:
2007 EB MM JP6, Mystic Dream, piezo, matching headstock, dot inlays
2005 Parker P44, trans red
2002 EB MM Axis Sport  trans gold, rosewood fingerboard, hum/hum, vintage trem, matching headstock
1984 Custom made boutique Strat
1977 Guild D40 NT
1976 Gibson 335 Custom in sunburst
A variety of "tube free", absolutely non-boutique and completely replaceable amps and effects

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 12:19:05 PM »
Me too. Posted about it the GENERAL forum earlier today....

Bob

2000 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail  *  1999 Parker Fly Deluxe w/DiBurro Roland Mod Metallic Red  * 1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue (thanks, Darren!) •  Now on a signature reduction program! Just the Flies, maam. *  www.rtmadvertising.com
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 06:48:19 PM by uburoibob »
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 12:35:53 PM »
Apparently, there are scripts that get into various forums and make phony members. Most of the time, the end up on the member list with a website address and it never gets farther than that. This is the first time I have been spammed from a forum, though! [V]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com

Offline Lwinn171

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006, 12:45:57 PM »
Yeah, I just got that crap too. I hope this kind of thing doesn't start happening often (1st time for me).[:(!]
Can his profile be removed from here? Seems like a violation of membership, and should be stopped.

Lawrence Winn
"42.7 percent of all statistics are made-up on the spot."
2001 Fly Classic, Green
Larivee Parlour Guitar
Several inferior others
Mesa Boogie MK IV
Marshall 2-12 cab
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 01:28:10 PM by Lwinn171 »

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic, 98 Deluxe
various amps, various toys

Offline bno

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2006, 01:03:00 PM »
You mean that was a hoax!?  Dang, I was all set to order my new Parker seven string.  And a new BMW 760i.  And that cabana down on St. Croix.  And a new house with a swimming pool, tennis court and putting green.  A couple of baubles for the wife and college was fully funded.  You guys wreck everything.[xx(]
'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.

jwrooker

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2006, 01:28:50 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by bno

You mean that was a hoax!?  Dang, I was all set to order my new Parker seven string.  And a new BMW 760i.  And that cabana down on St. Croix.  And a new house with a swimming pool, tennis court and putting green.  A couple of baubles for the wife and college was fully funded.  You guys wreck everything.[xx(]

'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.

The guy at the Porsche dealership is going to be so disappointed..

John Rooker
Rochester, NY

Offline portnoy

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/Huntingdon-United-Kingdom/MusicStreetUK/193947947906?ref=ts
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2006, 02:38:29 PM »
i havent got any of those emails :-(

that could have helped me pesuade Parker to make an 8 string (just to be differant to the current trend of parker 7 strings)

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2006, 03:42:20 PM »
Hey, how about a Charlie Hunter signature 8-string guitar?! [:D]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com

Offline GuitarGuy510

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2006, 03:45:02 PM »
Is there a way to contact the admins on this forum?  All they have to do is remove him from here and then he can't access email addresses.  I think it's lame that these bogus African scams are still going around.... the jokes above are funny but I guess there's one sucker for every one of us 15,000 logical people.... [B)] [:D]

-[matt]-

My Gear:
Thorn # 153 (in progress), Parker Nitefly-M, PRS CE-24, Ibanez RG 7620

-[matt]-

My Gear:
Thorn # 153
Assorted other guitars :)

Hughes and Kettner - TriAmp MKII Alex Lifeson sig model

Bogner 4x12 cabinet