Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Parker Plectrums/Picks  (Read 12367 times)

Offline 908ssp

Parker Plectrums/Picks
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2005, 11:36:42 PM »
The typical street Ducati weighs around 450lbs wet no gas, a World Superbike racer weighs 365lbs without its gas tank.[8D]

I don't know anything about PVA. Graphite and carbon are related but I think the molecular structure is different. Carbon fiber is all about the long chains of interlocked carbon molecules. [:p]

I found some carbon fabric picks made in Germany on eBay but I think it is a gimmick. I have made lots of stuff from carbon stock and I just think it would wear way too fast for a guitar pick. Plus the powder is hazardous to your health so manufacturing and grinding and sanding the shape would have to be done under safe conditions. [^]

Alex
1996 Parker Fly Deluxe
1998 Parker Fly Classic
1999 Parker NiteFly S/S/H NFV7
2004 Maven Peal Ganesha
2004 Marshall 4x12 Scumbag
« Last Edit: May 08, 2005, 11:38:10 PM by 908ssp »
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Parker Plectrums/Picks

Offline bostjan

• http://hometown.aol.com/__121b_L3tSnijvtzp0yjselCuPrmUti1/crMEW
Parker Plectrums/Picks
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2005, 12:48:33 AM »
graphite is sheets of carbon molecules bonded together.  a chain of carbon would be pretty much the same thing.  i'm not aware of any particularly dangerous hazards with carbon, but i know pretty much any kind of dust is bad.

if i already had the epoxy, i could easily doctor blade a pick without any sanding, as long as i didn't mess up really bad.

wow, i had no idea they weighed so much.  i used to have a little yugo that weighed just about five hundred pounds. [:)]

Parker Plectrums/Picks

Offline The Real One

Parker Plectrums/Picks
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2005, 11:58:11 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by 908ssp

Actually there are carbon and carbon graphite picks on the market they are even on eBay. [;)]

Carbon is not that good a material for abrasion resistance. It is the stiffest of all the fabrics but not the best. Glass has more impact resistance and Kevlar has more abrasion and cutting resistance. [8D]

I can't see what value a carbon pick is except that it would look cool and I am up for that. I bet I own more carbon fiber then anyone on this board. It is a little off subject but here is a picture of my carbon fiber Ducati. I built this you can find a lot more info on my web site.

Yes that has a carbon fiber frame and carbon bodywork and carbon wheels .......[^]

Alex
1996 Parker Fly Deluxe
1998 Parker Fly Classic
1999 Parker NiteFly S/S/H NFV7
2004 Maven Peal Ganesha
2004 Marshall 4x12 Scumbag

Parker Plectrums/Picks

Offline The Real One

Parker Plectrums/Picks
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2005, 12:00:38 AM »
Sorry new at this who ever is the member of the bike please reply or whom has info on the recent picks on the market!!! Thank you

I was browsing on google on who else has done my idea  on carbon fiber picks and  it seems  no one has blown it up or succeded so im very happy for that.

I wanted to first give you a props to the DUCATI! I love carbon fiber and I love Ducati's. excelent Job!

I am actually a young lad that I think is the first inventer of the first ever carbon fiber pick. years back I did my trial and errors on carbon picks and have finally came up with the best carbon fiber pick yet to date. I reside in AZ and  am working on stages of a deal with Alice Cooper and Guitar center to blow these babies up.

I'll tell you what Im no guitar player, just a artist and the people that have tested these out hAVE NOT COMPLAINED ONE BITE THEY ARE KEEPERS! If you have any info on other brands of carbon picksI would love to know.

Also  I really want to know what is up with your bike whats the website!!!!!!!  

kind regrads,

Dawid

Parker Plectrums/Picks

Offline loumt123

Parker Plectrums/Picks
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2005, 06:56:02 PM »
Bostjan  and 908ssp sound like really educated chemical engineers lol. If carbon is that hazardous, how do they aply it to the parker?

Parker Plectrums/Picks

Offline bostjan

• http://hometown.aol.com/__121b_L3tSnijvtzp0yjselCuPrmUti1/crMEW
Parker Plectrums/Picks
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2006, 01:12:39 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by cmpkllyrslf96

Bostjan  and 908ssp sound like really educated chemical engineers lol. If carbon is that hazardous, how do they aply it to the parker?

Oh, I'm not an engineer...I'm a physicist.  Alex is an engineer, though.  If we teamed up with Ken Parker, we could take over the world!  Muahaha.
[):]
Actually, there is nothing hazardous about carbon fibre or graphite or anything like that, but I mentioned that the dust may be bad to inhale...pretty much any kind of dust is bad to breathe in.

I've seen quite a few carbon picks on the market, including Cool Brain.  Seen two companies now making seven string guitars with carbon composites, but neither of them are Parker- argh.

Parker Plectrums/Picks

Offline sfw

Parker Plectrums/Picks
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2006, 01:12:27 PM »
The Carbon Fiber is not a problem. Note however, CUTTING carbon fiber is a BIG problem. The dust = VERY BAD for the lungs and eyes. You use a lot of carbon fiber arrows in KY and must have a special blade and ventilation system to cut them safely. That's what Alex was refering to. So cutting your own pick from a sheet would be dangerous without the proper cutting blades and ventilation system. The blades they use for cutting arrows typically with have a hooded area that covers the blade and a very strong vacuum system to suck up anything as it is cut.

- Scott

PM10; PM20; P-38
Franken-Fenders
Mackie SRM350 (piezo & modeller killer)
Randall RM4,RT2/50 (still needs Cabs ):
Wiggles Murray, Barbie Electric w/matching mic, American Idol electric
- Scott

PM10; Few Nitefly's; Franken-Fenders
Wiggles Murray, Barbie Electric w/matching mic, American Idol electric, Pink Hello Kitty

Parker Plectrums/Picks

Offline Ocker

• http://www.shesayselectric.com
Parker Plectrums/Picks
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2006, 01:28:03 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by 908ssp

Here is what i think a carbon bike would look like if parker made it

I saw this in popular science mag a month or two ago its a $50'000 bike made almost entirely of carbon fiber and weigs dry about 350 lbs
more info at http://www.confederate.com

Only through death may one truly live!
2005 Mojo Flame BCH
2003 MWC handcrafted Dragonfly W GK internal
1988 Vantage Vp850 W GK2
A myriad of accoustics
VG*8ex
GR*30
Rawda industries custom pedal board
A plethora of effects
1974 VT Twin 60
1972 VT Phasor Twin
2006 P8En
2005 Mojo Flame BCH
2000 Fly Classic *hardtail*
1988 Vantage Vp850 W GK2
A myriad of accoustics
VG*8ex
GR*30
A plethora of effects
1974 VT Twin 60
1972 VT Phasor Twin

Parker Plectrums/Picks

Offline loumt123

Parker Plectrums/Picks
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2006, 02:45:24 PM »
so i guess cutting carbon fiber is kind of like working with surboard epoxy/fiberglass? I have a little bit of experience with that sanding down fiberglass produces alot of dust you probablyyyyy dont want to breathe in

Parker Plectrums/Picks

Offline 908ssp

Parker Plectrums/Picks
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2006, 04:23:50 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Ocker

Here is what i think a carbon bike would look like if parker made it

I saw this in popular science mag a month or two ago its a $50'000 bike made almost entirely of carbon fiber and weigs dry about 350 lbs
more info at http://www.confederate.com

2005 Mojo Flame BCH
1988 Vantage Vp850 W GK2
A myriad of accoustics
VG*8ex
GR*30
A plethora of effects
1974 VT Twin 60
1972 VT Phasor Twin

Oh I hope not. I happen to know the guy hired to make that bike ridable. He told it was darn near impossible the design and geometry is so bad. Don't believe all the stuff you read in the magazines. That bike is a death trap.

I really think that is totally alien to Parkers thinking and way of doing something. The Parker is not different for the sake of being different. It is an evolutionary step in guitar design. Changing just enough to make it better not change for change sake. [^]

Alex
2005 Parker Mojo
1996 Parker Fly Deluxe
1998 Parker Fly Classic
2005 Fly Bass
2005 Emerald Acoustic X10
1968 Marshall JMP50
1982 Boogie MKIIC+
2004 Maven Peal Ganesha
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Parker Plectrums/Picks

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
Parker Plectrums/Picks
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2006, 10:08:28 PM »
Nice bike Alex. Reminds me of a Deluxe in Ruby Red/HeatherGrey Combo. Bet it screams like one too!

Fly Deluxe 2000;Gibson ES137;1974 K.Yari DY85; Waterproof SchecterDisposable; Martin Backpacker/paddle combo
A few Flys in my soup

Parker Plectrums/Picks

Offline Dann Glenn

• http://www.dannglenn.com
Parker Plectrums/Picks
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2006, 09:23:51 AM »
Wow...nice bike indeed. [:p]

Dann

Dann Glenn
Parker Guitarsâ„¢ Endorser
http://www.dannglenn.com

Parker Plectrums/Picks

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
Parker Plectrums/Picks
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2006, 09:35:08 AM »
what is different with that black bike compared to a 'normal' bike (ie ducati)>  it doesn't look too much different to my casual (non-bike-riding)eye.  you mentioned something abut the geometry..?
2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo signed by Steve Vai, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!

Parker Plectrums/Picks

Offline 908ssp

Parker Plectrums/Picks
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2006, 12:01:24 PM »
Hi David I assume your asking me about the Wraith? Not enough trail on the front, swingarm angle wrong on the back, wrong spring rates, falling rate rear spring, foot pegs high and forward, nothing to put your knees against when leaning...

Traxxion Dynamics was able to fix some of the problems some are just inherent in the design. [^]

Alex
2005 Parker Mojo
1996 Parker Fly Deluxe
1998 Parker Fly Classic
2005 Fly Bass
2005 Emerald Acoustic X10
1968 Marshall JMP50
1982 Boogie MKIIC+
2004 Maven Peal Ganesha
Alex

Parker Plectrums/Picks

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
Parker Plectrums/Picks
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2006, 07:53:38 AM »
oh dear....   can anyone translate?[|)]  actually i think i get you apart from not knowing what a spring rate is.  good job there are peple like you out there - i think the bike looks ace and if i was a millionaire i would probably buy one.  and die.  exhaust looks like it is in an unlikely place.  burnt boots, perhaps?
2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo signed by Steve Vai, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!