Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Effects rack  (Read 1767 times)

Offline Dazmundo

• http://www.myspace.com/sidewinderbandspace
Effects rack
« on: December 21, 2006, 09:01:17 PM »
Presently with my band I use limited effects i.e chorus and distortion.  I was thinking about getting some rack effects so I could experiment with some presets to broaden my sound range.  Any recommendations?  Check out my limited range of sounds at www.myspace.com/sidewinderbandspace.

I use a parker fly classic thru a TSL100 marshall head.

Peace

Effects rack

Offline 908ssp

Effects rack
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 09:22:17 PM »
Racks are so yesterday. [;)] Except for a couple effects you run in your loop you're just as well if not better off with pedals. Marshall loops are not particularly good. They use transistors in the loop buffering stages and they do effect the sound quality. Many guys run an attenuator and use the line out from it for their wet side it goes to their effects then into a power amp and into a second cab for their wet effects. They run the dry signal to their main cab. Anyway it can get complicated have fun.

[^]

Alex

« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 09:23:11 PM by 908ssp »
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Effects rack

Offline kwcabs

• http://www.kwcabs.com
Effects rack
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 01:19:02 AM »
One excellent hidden gem unit I discovered quite a while ago is the Roland GP-100, it's a very powerful do it all box, that is very similar to the Current GT-Pro although I have not used the new unit so I cannot say how it sounds in comparison.  You have just about everything you will need and it has some excellent preamps as well.  You can pick one up off ebay used for under $400 since they don't make them anymore.  I've tried just about everything out there, and that unit can certainly hold it's own with all but the absolute best.  However, that said, if you are looking for a relatively small rig you might look into an all in one pedal board such as a Boss GT-8 or Line 6 Pod XT Live.

Owner of KWCABS guitar speaker cabinets.  We specialize in making simply the best speaker cabinets out there, constructed out of top-quality hardwoods, standard lines as well as custom work.  WWW.KWCABS.COM

Check out my Parker Supreme here www.kwcabs.com/parker%20page.htm

Kurt Wyberanec
Owner of KWCABS guitar speaker cabinets.  We specialize in making simply the best speaker cabinets out there, constructed out of top-quality hardwoods, standard lines as well as custom work.  WWW.KWCABS.COM

Check out my Parker Supreme here www.kwcabs.com/parker%20page.htm

Effects rack

Offline BrainWorm

Effects rack
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 01:53:30 AM »
Dazmundo, got to take the . period off the end of your url to get it to work.

http://www.myspace.com/sidewinderbandspace

Sue has the same last name as you,  I couldn't tell if she is your sister or wife. Since she got top billing on the myspace page I'll guess wife.

"Brainverms come crawling and creeping and eat you when you're sleeping."
"Brainverms come crawling and creeping and eat you when you're sleeping."

Effects rack

Offline baronthecat

Effects rack
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 08:50:54 AM »

Cool band, I'm in Boston, I'll check you guys out at the Bulfinch.

I've been using a GP-100 since the early 90's. Great little unit, LOTS of control. I run a Mesa V-Twin rackmount through the FX sends, warms up the solid-state sound. I can even switch amp channels through the GP-100. 2 stereo outs! I can't wait to add a GT-Pro.

You have to figure out if you want to run the FX through your amp's FX sends, or run the amp through the FX unit sends. Either way has it's pros and cons. You need to figure that out before you decide which unit, so that you can control the effects the way you want.

2006 Parker Fly Classic, transparent cherry.
2006 Parker Fly Custom, majik blue.
Roland GP-100.
Mesa V-Twin rackmount.
2005 Parker Fly Classic, transparent cherry.
2006 Parker Fly Custom, majik blue.

You could spend forever picking the right amp for each string.