Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wood Choices...  (Read 34357 times)

Offline jamrcat

Wood Choices...
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2008, 02:54:35 PM »
quote:
Is there anything Alex doen't know?

From my experience, no! [:)]

98' Fly Artist w/RMC (Thanks Dayn!)
93' Parker Fly Deluxe hardtail RP "Blackie" KP Signature (Thank You! Bob & Ken)
2FlyBob (Thanks Paul!)

jamrcat
Butte, Montana
"A Fly for each hand!"

Wood Choices...

Offline jeff

Wood Choices...
« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2008, 08:38:21 PM »
Check out www.ancientwood.com for a look at some kauri wood. I believe Joe Bonamassa and Anthony Gomes have electrics made of this stuff.

Wood Choices...

Offline bembamboo

Wood Choices...
« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2008, 09:41:50 PM »
lwinn:  try aloha woods at Kialua-Kona.  was there yesterday looking for planks of african tulip.  tons of koa. every size shape.  next door to goodall guitars!!!!

Wood Choices...

Offline rt0412

Wood Choices...
« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2008, 11:35:32 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by 908ssp

Or bamboo[:D][:o)][:D][:o)][8D]
[^]

Alex

I downloaded pictures of a Strat style guitar made of bamboo years ago from a website I can't even remember now. I think it was made by a luthier in the Philippines.
http://picasaweb.google.com/rolandotabora/BambooGuitar

Here's an article about Yamaha's all-bamboo acoustic guitar...
http://www.giles.com/yamaha1/pressreleases/PAC/bamboo.htm

And First Act's bamboo guitar...
http://shop.firstact.com/PublicStore/product/ME224-Bambusa-Electric-Guitar,645,93.aspx

Wood Choices...

Offline bembamboo

Wood Choices...
« Reply #64 on: July 04, 2008, 04:40:58 AM »
Wow.  Thanks Rolly.  I meant bamboo for speaker cabs, specifically bass, since it is so dense.  Lots of music gear is now coming from Vietnam (Marshall) and China (Celestion), and the bamboo products there are beautiful when new, but it weathers uglily (advb.)!  

Wood Choices...

Offline bembamboo

Wood Choices...
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2008, 02:55:18 PM »
picked up a piece of aspen the other day.  very light.  anybody plank and dry it for guitatr or amp use?  ceder?  is that what train wrecks are?  African tulip on hawaii , an invasive species, may be too light.  thanks.

Wood Choices...

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
Wood Choices...
« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2008, 06:07:12 PM »
I was warned of African transplant species in Hawaii.

It seems what grows slowly as a hardwood in Africa, grows too fast and is a spongy softwood in the wet zones of Hawaii.

When we were on Kaui we visited a huge wooded tract and these tree were literally falling over from their own weight.

I have no idea how this translates in tone wood but, be careful.

A few Flys in my soup
A few Flys in my soup

Wood Choices...

Offline bembamboo

Wood Choices...
« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2008, 11:54:33 PM »
Thanks, I'll try it and let you know.

Wood Choices...

Offline bembamboo

Wood Choices...
« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2009, 12:37:22 PM »
noticed that g&l uses basswood in its tribute(se asia?) series. that mean its cheap, or low quality?

Wood Choices...

Offline kwcabs

• http://www.kwcabs.com
Wood Choices...
« Reply #69 on: August 28, 2009, 01:24:28 PM »
Wow, it's been a long time since I made a post here, sorry.  Few quick notes, Bamboo is a great material, difficult to work with, but has a great look and interesting sonic properties.  If really sealed well it will stay beautiful for a long time.  

I could be wrong but I think Aspen is a softwood.  I've never used it for anything, but I tend to stay away from softwoods because of their general instability.  

As for the train wrecks, I'm almost positive that they were made from Cherry.  I've seen and played a few in person and that's my take, of course they have nothing to do with the sound of that amp.  

As for African Tulip, it is a hardwood, where you plant it doesn't change that, it's the botanical makup.  Hardwoods are simply angiosperms or trees that have encapsulated seeds, softwoods are conifers (at least 99% of them are), it's just a cell structure thing.  What might be going on in Hawaii with these African Tulip trees is that the climate is alowing them to grow faster and since they are a large dense tree the undergrowth and soil simply can't support it and hence they're falling over due to their own weight.  I don't know for sure obviously as I haven't been there to see, but that is my best assesment.  

As for Basswood, it is fairly cheap, and is readily available in thick cuts, hence why it was such an obvious choice for guitar makers.  Not to mention it is light which is another good selling point.  That said, it's a great tonewood and has been used for many years by a lot of major companies.

Best to all.

Kurt Wyberanec
Owner of KWCABS guitar speaker cabinets.  We specialize in making simply the best speaker cabinets out there, constructed out of top-quality hardwoods, standard lines as well as custom work.  WWW.KWCABS.COM

Check out my Parker Supreme here www.kwcabs.com/parker%20page.htm

Wood Choices...

Offline Strandwolf

• http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577969013
Wood Choices...
« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2009, 02:56:56 PM »
I was mis(?)informed by a friend to the effect that "hardwood" means a wood used in woodworking endeavors.

Ergo, balsa is a hardwood.

I wonder if a custom Parker with balsa body and neck would

(1) be feasible
(2) be under 2 pounds.

Might have to use very light tuners and go piezo only to break the 2 pound sound barrier.... Not sure the neck would be stable enough. Talk about dingy, that contraption would be rather bruise-liable.
Parkers: Pick, cap, T-shirt, clock, and other assorted accouterments

Wood Choices...

Offline bembamboo

Wood Choices...
« Reply #71 on: October 15, 2009, 06:58:49 PM »
KW: did u wind up showing at the east coast amp show?  Did they eat up your cabs?  I would think so.  I personally think there is a cabinet idea shortfall in the biz. Guitar cabs haven't come very far, except yours.  Awhile back all the naked yellow pine/dovetailed custom cab shops seem to have gone out of business or off the web, anyway.  Shipping has to be a big part of the equation.

Wood Choices...

Offline WellYourMomLikesMe

Wood Choices...
« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2011, 04:02:00 PM »
I just want a REAL Fly with mahogany body and maple neck. Probably the most popular combination and USM still doesn't have one! Get with it USM/Parker!!

*** '08 Fly Mojo Flame, Schecter 006 Elite, Korg PitchBlack, Boss NS-2, BlackStar HT-DUAL, MXR M-108, Boss FV-50H, Rogue Analog Delay, Boss DD-7, Mesa HeartBreaker Head, Marshall 1960B, Crate/Palomino V16 w/ V30 ***
*** '08 Fly Mojo Flame, Schecter 006 Elite, Korg PitchBlack, Boss NS-2, BlackStar HT-DUAL, Boss FV-50H, Rogue Analog Delay, Boss DD-7, Mesa HeartBreaker Head, Marshall 1960B, Crate/Palomino V16 w/ V30 ***

Wood Choices...

Offline redcloud

Wood Choices...
« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2011, 07:15:35 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by loumt123

a splated maple fly...or...Paduak...or my favorite...

BUCKEYE BURL [:p]

mmmm exotic woods

Then you really need to explore Alembic guitars and basses.

Alembic "Studio Further"
Alembic "Lil' Darling"
Gibson LP "Traditional"
Collings "City Limits Jazz"
Parker Fly Supreme LTD Koa #17/25
Parker Fly Bronze
Fender Custom Shop Road
Show '10 LTD
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Taylor Solid Body Builder's
Reserve #4

Peavey "Delta Blues"
Fender "Acoustasonic SFXII"
Schertler "Unico"

Many Acoustic Guitars

Wood Choices...

Offline mountaindewaddict

Wood Choices...
« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2011, 07:56:56 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by WellYourMomLikesMe

I just want a REAL Fly with mahogany body and maple neck. Probably the most popular combination and USM still doesn't have one! Get with it USM/Parker!!

*** '08 Fly Mojo Flame, Schecter 006 Elite, Korg PitchBlack, Boss NS-2, BlackStar HT-DUAL, MXR M-108, Boss FV-50H, Rogue Analog Delay, Boss DD-7, Mesa HeartBreaker Head, Marshall 1960B, Crate/Palomino V16 w/ V30 ***

In another thread (it's one of the newer ones in the Custom Fly section), Terry (BillyT), the VP of Production at USM said that with the carbon fiber wrap, a good piece of maple is just too stiff for the truss rod to do anything if any adjustment is needed.  That's probably why they don't do it.

Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, NiteFly NFV2, Way Huge Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff...
God Bless!
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!