Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wood Choices...  (Read 27790 times)

Offline WellYourMomLikesMe

Wood Choices...
« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2011, 11:46:06 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by mountaindewaddict

quote:
Originally posted by WellYourMomLikesMe

I just want a REAL Fly with mahogany body and maple neck. Probably the most popular combination and USM still doesn't have one! Get with it USM/Parker!!

*** '08 Fly Mojo Flame, Schecter 006 Elite, Korg PitchBlack, Boss NS-2, BlackStar HT-DUAL, MXR M-108, Boss FV-50H, Rogue Analog Delay, Boss DD-7, Mesa HeartBreaker Head, Marshall 1960B, Crate/Palomino V16 w/ V30 ***

In another thread (it's one of the newer ones in the Custom Fly section), Terry (BillyT), the VP of Production at USM said that with the carbon fiber wrap, a good piece of maple is just too stiff for the truss rod to do anything if any adjustment is needed.  That's probably why they don't do it.

Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, NiteFly NFV2, Way Huge Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff...
God Bless!

I'm sure they can solve that problem. Maybe do a partial wrap or partially treat the piece of wrap to make it less rigid, etc. I trust USM can make it successfully and I will one of the people that will be very grateful because that wood combination is perfect.

*** '08 Fly Mojo Flame, Schecter 006 Elite, Korg PitchBlack, Boss NS-2, BlackStar HT-DUAL, MXR M-108, Boss FV-50H, Rogue Analog Delay, Boss DD-7, Mesa HeartBreaker Head, Marshall 1960B, Crate/Palomino V16 w/ V30 ***
*** '08 Fly Mojo Flame, Schecter 006 Elite, Korg PitchBlack, Boss NS-2, BlackStar HT-DUAL, Boss FV-50H, Rogue Analog Delay, Boss DD-7, Mesa HeartBreaker Head, Marshall 1960B, Crate/Palomino V16 w/ V30 ***

Re: Wood Choices...

Offline bembamboo

« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2013, 11:58:19 PM »
i cant think of a mahogany body/maple neck guitar other than some oddball fenders, maybe tele varieties w/p90s or something.  clue me in to this popular guitar pls.  thx

Offline mountaindewaddict

« Reply #77 on: July 03, 2013, 09:34:21 AM »
bembamboo, AFAIK, Ibanez and Schecter both make TONS of guitars in that configuration (mahogany body, maple neck).  I owned an Ibanez like that.  Also, aren't most Les Paul's that combination as well?
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!

Offline lucgravely

• the odds have it.
« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2013, 09:52:52 AM »
Most all LPs and SGs are mahogany body mahogany neck with a maple top on the body and a rosewood fretboard. And the majority of Fender guitars are ash/alder bodies with maples necks and maple/rosewood fret boards. So with those two guitar types making up the majority of guitars, I'd disagree that mahogany body/maple neck is the most popular wood combo. Having now played my NiteFly with basswood/maple combo, It sounds pretty much like a Strat with maple/alder combo. I think Parker is making the best choice sticking with basswood neck on the DF800 series and maples on the 400/500/600/700 series. It makes sense for production  as maple is a great stable stand alone neck material and basswood and the carbon wrap seem to go well together.

I seem to remember Pats S3 voodoo having the exact maple/carbon issue that they had in the past. So I doubt USM would ever what a production model like that ever again. http://forums.parkerguitars.com/index.php/topic,12382.0.html

Luc Gravely
Parker Fly Mojo Singlecut
Parker NiteFly NV1
Mesa/Boogie Mark I
1966 Fender BandMaster
A few pedals...

Offline bembamboo

« Reply #79 on: July 04, 2013, 10:08:46 AM »
thx, yeah i wasnt thinking...but ibanez, maybe a satch model is mahogany in the body