Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wood Choices...  (Read 34315 times)

Offline kwcabs

• http://www.kwcabs.com
Wood Choices...
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2006, 06:55:35 PM »
Interesting, I assumed it had something to do with airyness (that can't be a word lol), hence why they probably have a little more of that snap semi hollow tone!

Owner of KWCABS guitar speaker cabinets.  We specialize in making simply the best speaker cabinets out there, constructed out of top-quality hardwoods, standard lines as well as custom work.  WWW.KWCABS.COM

Check out my Parker Supreme here www.kwcabs.com/parker%20page.htm

Kurt Wyberanec
Owner of KWCABS guitar speaker cabinets.  We specialize in making simply the best speaker cabinets out there, constructed out of top-quality hardwoods, standard lines as well as custom work.  WWW.KWCABS.COM

Wood Choices...

Offline Lwinn171

Wood Choices...
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2006, 12:39:14 PM »
I always wondered about "swamp ash". Thanks for the info, guys. I'm so glad there are some wood geeks at this site. It's been a cool thing to hear from you guys, and I've learned much (just when I tought I knew it all, LOL).

Lawrence Winn
"42.7 percent of all statistics are made-up on the spot."
2001 Fly Classic, Green
Larivee Parlour Guitar
Several inferior others
Mesa Boogie MK IV
Marshall 2-12 cab

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic, 98 Deluxe
various amps, various toys

Wood Choices...

Offline Lwinn171

Wood Choices...
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2006, 02:04:01 PM »
I thought I'd give a link to a MySpace page with some of my woodworks, in case anyone wanted to check it out. Yeah, I know, I need some Fly Pics in there. If someone hadn't stolen my digi camera, they'd already be there!

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=132917993

Lawrence Winn
2001 Fly Classic, Green
Larivee Parlour Guitar
Several inferior others
Mesa Boogie MK IV
Marshall 2-12 cab

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic, 98 Deluxe

Wood Choices...

Offline kwcabs

Wood Choices...
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2006, 05:33:16 PM »
Some nice work there Lawrence.  I especially like the end tables, interesting leg design there too.  What is the 3 piece top one, ribbon mahogany and is that possible Satinwood or is it something else dyed?  The clock is also really cool, the numerals are subtle but very interesting.  Great work, if you haven't seen it, I have a little of my furniture type stuff on my site under the other products section too.

Kurt Wyberanec

Wood Choices...

Offline Lwinn171

Wood Choices...
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2006, 06:18:50 PM »
Thanks, Kurt. The Coffee Table in ribbon mahogany (bookmatched), has flamed birch down the center. It is one of many "8 legged tables" I've done. The leg ends are on a sliding dovetail into the top. The clock design is something I've done for a while, now. The number design (copyrighted in 2004) has been used in about 18 clocks so far, although the shape of that one (#1) is unique among them. One day I might try to mass produce that one. All the rest of those photo's are one-off custom work. I'll probably add some more photo's soon.

Thanks for checking it out. I've seen your cabinets, but missed the furniture. I'll take a look...

Cool stuff, man [^] I especially like the lap desk and the coffee table. Beautiful wood, very well worked. Love the inlay work on the lap desk. [;)]

Lawrence Winn
2001 Fly Classic, Green
Larivee Parlour Guitar
Several inferior others
Mesa Boogie MK IV
Marshall 2-12 cab
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 06:23:50 PM by Lwinn171 »

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic, 98 Deluxe

Wood Choices...

Offline marvin jensen

Wood Choices...
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2007, 05:11:12 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Wilmington only

A Fly guitar is carved from a single piece of 8/4 wood. A LOT of material ends up in the dust collector. This makes it hard to wet a piece deep enough to make any difference on the Fadal. Also, the sculpted shape is cut with a ball nose endmill and the shape is so complex that only a small part of the endmill makes contact with the material at any time in the program. Ken spoke from experience on the birdseye. It was a real mess.

There's no money above the fifth fret

Just saw this old thread.  One reason the "curly" woods don't work well the way Parker CNC'd them when I was there is because the cutter speed of the center of a ball end mill is essentially zero which makes for major tear-outs.  Larry always wanted to try and design a program so the cutting was done with the outer radius of the ball mill but never got it done.  He thought about tilting the work in relation to the vertical axis of the machine but then some areas would be undercuts.  It would be fairly complicated.  If perfected it would really speed up the cutting process.

Wood Choices...

Offline Lwinn171

Wood Choices...
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2007, 02:13:21 AM »
I wonder if the answer to that question is to hollow out the center of the bit, and make it a little larger (reprogram the machine to compensate). Then there would be no cutting edge moving at zero rpm. This could be designed with a slight twist, to aid chip removal, and the slowest speed a cutting edge is moving would be a controled, by design, known factor. This might allow more "difficult" woods to be CNC'd to spec. Just a theory, fire away!

Lawrence Winn
You can hear me playing and see my woodworks at:
http://www.myspace.com/132917993
2001 Fly Classic, Green
Larivee Parlour Guitar
Several inferior others
Mesa Boogie MK IV
Marshall 2-12 cab

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic, 98 Deluxe

Wood Choices...

Offline kwcabs

Wood Choices...
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2007, 02:56:57 AM »
Hey Lawrence, it's been a while since we've been on this thread it would seem.  I think you're spot on with the recommendation, I can't recall exactly what the cutter head looked like when I was in the factory hmmm I wonder if I met Marvin, but some sort of spiral upcut bit might leave a much cleaner cut.  If the 0 rpm section of the head is causing tearout an even easier solution is what Marvin suggested with just cutting with the edge of the cutterhead.  The real issue though I'm sure is that it would cost them a significant amount of R&D to reprogram the machine, and they could certainly not afford for the machine to be down for a long period due to testing.  When I was there I think they had 2, not sure if they ever expanded on that or not.  So again, it the world of greed we live in, it probably all comes down to a cost viability standpoint.  If they really think it would make them more money (which is probably would only marginally) then they might do it.  From what we've seen in past efforts though, it seems they are continually trying to cut costs rather than spend any more money. A nice addition to the custom shop (just a suggestion) would be to have one dedicated lutier or carver where the machine could rough out the bodies leaving more excess than usual and then they could be cleaned up by hand with traditional carving tools as opposed to the sanding.  Having a single worker making say 65k a year, he would only have to turn out a small number of special guitars for it to be cost effective for the company.  I'm sure there are a lot more details to consider, but who knows could work. Hey they've made plenty of supremes, and now some Koa's so there aren't too make woods out there that are trickier than curly maple.  Oh how I would love a tulipwood or macassar fly :(

Kurt Wyberanec

Wood Choices...

Offline bembamboo

Wood Choices...
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2008, 03:18:36 PM »
Anybody have another opinion on speaker cab wood resonance between solid dry pine or ply?

Wood Choices...

Offline kwcabs

Wood Choices...
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2008, 01:17:48 PM »
Wow, I can't believe it has been a year since there was a comment on this thread!  Pine vs Ply is a challenging one.  Pine can sound very nice, very springy and bell like especially if you're going for a vintage sound and combine it with a nice Alnico, however, Pine is incredibly unstable and likewise is one of the woods most prone to climatic changes.  Ply is standard, so there's not much to say about it if you've ever played just about any speaker cabinet out there.  Personally we very rarely use Pine, but will on special orders.  Again it can sound very nice, but due to the fact that it can move so much no matter how well sealed it offers construction concerns that outweigh any tonal issues for us.  I also notice that you wrote "dry" pine.  All woods used for production use should always be within an acceptable moisture content, and that varies in the U.S. between 6-12% however, even if a piece has been dry for many years it still experiences climatic change and likewise Pine is among the most drastic of these, flat today pretzel tomorrow :)  If you have any questions, feel free.

Kurt Wyberanec

Wood Choices...

Offline bembamboo

Wood Choices...
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2008, 02:09:07 PM »
Since Steamboat Springs Speaker Company is gearing up, we are concerned only about tone and weight between the two.  Dovetailed pine is what I prefer on both concerns. Appreciate your (KW) suggestions about moisture and stability.  In fact,living in Hawaii, both Sonny Landreth an I both (not personally) experience hummid enviroments causing unsealed cabs to soak up miosture. Bad.  I do not think we will compete since our two piggy back amp speaker cabs will be very cheap, and personalized to fit their respective heads only.  We are mainly selling state of the art tube tone.  

Wood Choices...

Offline Lwinn171

Wood Choices...
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2008, 12:41:50 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by bembamboo

Since Steamboat Springs Speaker Company is gearing up, we are concerned only about tone and weight between the two.  Dovetailed pine is what I prefer on both concerns. Appreciate your (KW) suggestions about moisture and stability.  In fact,living in Hawaii, both Sonny Landreth an I both (not personally) experience hummid enviroments causing unsealed cabs to soak up miosture. Bad.  I do not think we will compete since our two piggy back amp speaker cabs will be very cheap, and personalized to fit their respective heads only.  We are mainly selling state of the art tube tone.  

Good lord, man... If you're in Hawaii, MAKE THEM OUT OF KOA! They'll be extra-special! Nice and warm, I'd think. And both unusual, and beautiful. Just my 2 cents.[:D]

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic,1998 Classic
Boogie MK IV, Behringer ACX-1800, Zoom A2, various effects

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic, 98 Deluxe

Wood Choices...

Offline 908ssp

Wood Choices...
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2008, 09:12:39 AM »
Or bamboo[:D][:o)][:D][:o)][8D]
[^]

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Wood Choices...

Offline kwcabs

Wood Choices...
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2008, 01:16:42 PM »
And send some of that Koa my way, it's so darned hard to get!!!!

Kurt Wyberanec

Wood Choices...

Offline bembamboo

Wood Choices...
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2008, 01:48:18 PM »
Wow.  Koa guitars aren't my spot'o tea, but I suppose bamboo HAS been used historically in Asian instruments.  And I just saw Donna's (a blind date somebody is trying to set me up with, but frankly, beautiful women are getting too dangerous for an old man) bamboo flooring at her new store in Kapa'au from Home Depot (for $1.99 a sq ft which I guess is cheap)and it was georgeous unfinished.  I'm thinking its too dense for cabinet resonation, or would be mostly glue, but I will definitely check it out!  Is there anything Alex doen't know?  (see where flattery will get me.)