Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Coil Cuts for ALL of us  (Read 2374 times)

Offline Beezer

Coil Cuts for ALL of us
« on: March 10, 2005, 04:26:22 PM »
I am the proud owner of a Fly Classic Ala Natural! I was jelous when I heard that the new Parkers had the push-pull pot for the coil tap, as I'm sure most of you were too. I've been tinkering around with the pickup selector switch to try to find out if there is a way to add a switch in front of it or something enabling a coil cut on bothe pickups. Hell, I'de even add 2 mini switches if I hawd to split them one by one.
Someone out there, help! I don't have too much time (nor the knowledge of that pickup selector switch) to be fooling with it and figured I would use you forumers (new word) to put some info in.
Any help would be appreciated, Brian

Coil Cuts for ALL of us

Offline darkest_fugue

Coil Cuts for ALL of us
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2005, 10:05:30 AM »
if i were you i wouldnt be jealous...i have a mojo and an older supreme...although the coil tap is nice i can still get all the sounds i want from the supreme...when played clean i think the dimarzio HBs sound like full sounding single coils anyway..and when you distort them they are plenty heavy...so for me i get the best of both worlds without the coil tap.....even if there was a coil tap up grade for it i probably wouldnt bother to be honest

Coil Cuts for ALL of us

Offline kristian

Coil Cuts for ALL of us
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2005, 10:50:11 AM »
You do have a couple of options here.  The first option relies on the stereo/mono push button switch on the butt end of the guitar.  The main function of that switch is to tell the guitar whether or not you are using a stereo cable or a mono cable so it can route the signals accordingly.  If you find that you ONLY use a stereo cable or that you ONLY use a mono cable, then you could rewire the guitar so it runs ONLY in mono or stereo and then rewire that push button as a coil tap.  I like this option because you do not have to do any extra drilling and if in the future you decide that you no longer need the coil tapping, it is easily reversable.  Another option is (like you already mentioned) installing some mini switches.  You could install one or two depending on what kind of tapping capabilities you are looking for.  The only tough part about this option is there is not a lot of extra room in the electronics cavity so finding a convenient spot for one or two more switches could be tough.  The third is option is that you could upgrade your entire electronics package to the "new style" electronics that we are using today.  The only problems with that is it could be expensive and you would have some empty holes in the body from former control pots but some nice looking delrin plugs could be made to fill those holes.  Any of this work I would recommend having done at the Parker factory or bring it to a qualified luthier in your area
Kristian Strom
Parker Guitars Repair Department

Coil Cuts for ALL of us

Offline Lir11a

Coil Cuts for ALL of us
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2005, 04:36:02 PM »
Hi Kristian,

I am glad to hear about the mono switch - I have been thinking exactly about this option myself since I only use the guitar in mono. Are there any chances of posting a drawing on how to wire things to get the coils split via the mono switch? Even a scanned freehand drawing would be great. Also - how would the middle position work with coils split?

Thanks for the support. This forum is an excellent idea, a lot of us have been waiting for it.

Marko
« Last Edit: March 12, 2005, 04:55:10 AM by Lir11a »

Coil Cuts for ALL of us

Offline shadow

Coil Cuts for ALL of us
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2005, 06:48:40 PM »
quote:
The third is option is that you could upgrade your entire electronics package to the "new style" electronics that we are using today. The only problems with that is it could be expensive and you would have some empty holes in the body from former control pots but some nice looking delrin plugs could be made to fill those holes. Any of this work I would recommend having done at the Parker factory or bring it to a qualified luthier in your area

I asked about this a while back and was told by Parker tech support that it could not be done.  I guess the tech was concerned about the extra holes and filling them properly.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2005, 02:44:58 PM by shadow »

Coil Cuts for ALL of us

Offline 908ssp

Coil Cuts for ALL of us
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2005, 10:27:38 PM »
I would have no use for split humbuckers. The Humbuckers are plenty bright enough that I almost always have my tone control turned down 25%. That said if you are willing to put in extra switches it would be very easy to do. There are two sets of double wires going to the selector switch a red/green and black/white you remove those from the selector switch put each one on it's own switch and ground the remaining switch terminals. That's all there is to it. But be warned the singles will hum, they will be weak, the center position on the selector switch will have three options depending on the position of the split switches. Both humbuckers full, one full one split or visa versa.

1996 Parker Fly Deluxe
1998 Parker Fly Classic
200? Parker NiteFly S/S/H
2004 Maven Peal Ganesha
2004 Marshall 4x12 Scumbag
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG