Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: parker guitars in general  (Read 1570 times)

Offline bobbya

parker guitars in general
« on: September 13, 2006, 01:21:50 PM »
There are no parker guitars in richmond,va. how would anyone compare the feel/radius of the necks..I am 51 and cant do shinnky feeling necks  thanks

Offline Ron Vermillion

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 01:48:52 PM »
There may be a forum member that lives there that would allow a jam session for you. If you are ever in Chattanooga, TN I certainly would let you play on my Classic Fly and my soon to arrive PM20 single cut.

How about it guys, anyone in Richmond, VA. that could help bobbya out?

Ron

Ron Vermillion
ronvermillion@comcast.net
Ron Vermillion
ronvermillion2176@gmail.com
2007 Fly Mojo Natural Mahogany

Offline Musicman1

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 04:25:43 PM »
I dont find my P44 to have too skinny a neck.  In fact the gtr is listed to have a medium fat neck under Parker's own specs sheet.  It is thin from front to back but has a nice width across.  Its very similar to an Ibanez neck but a little wider. I do not have any problem w/feeling cramped at the 1st fret which is the problem I have w/my Musicman neck. Its really a well designed neck. Im sure the Fly's have far thinner necks.  Most posters indicate that the Nitefly neck is a little beefier than the Fly neck.  The P necks are most likely a little thicker yet.

Musicman1

2005 Parker P44
2002 EB MM Axis Sport
1984 Custom made boutique Strat
1977 Guild D40 NT
1976 Gibson 335 Custom
Wide variety of amps and effects

« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 04:27:27 PM by Musicman1 »
Musicman1's current arsenal includes:
2007 EB MM JP6, Mystic Dream, piezo, matching headstock, dot inlays
2005 Parker P44, trans red
2002 EB MM Axis Sport  trans gold, rosewood fingerboard, hum/hum, vintage trem, matching headstock
1984 Custom made boutique Strat
1977 Guild D40 NT
1976 Gibson 335 Custom in sunburst
A variety of "tube free", absolutely non-boutique and completely replaceable amps and effects

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 07:45:51 PM »
Welcome bobbya.

There are no skinny necks here. A few red necks maybe.[:D]

In the Fly series, the Artist neck tends to be a little fatter/wider than the Deluxe and Classic. The Mojo neck I tried felt to be a little thicker. There is some small variation of width and thickness even within the same models (Flys are handmade guitars). But none of the Flys are skinny. I can't speak to the neck/wieght of the imports.

I bought my first fly because I was getting old(er) and wanted something lighter and easier to play. For bad backs and soar arthritic  finger joints, the Fly (any model) is the way to go [;)]

Custom '03 Hardtail Artist ; Fly Deluxe 2000; Gibson ES137; 1974 K.Yari DY85; Waterproof SchecterDisposable; Martin Backpacker/paddle combo;LarriveeParlor; numerous borrowed amps
A few Flys in my soup

Offline Ron Vermillion

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 11:33:39 AM »
I have to echo Bill's response. I bought my Fly out of an internet search for "lightest electric guitar" a couple of years ago. (I'm 62)

The neck on my 2001 Classic is wide but not thick. In all honesty in the past few months the Fly has been in the case while I played mostly on a '52 Tele reissue that I got at a guitar show. I also have a modern version of the Tele and switched back and forth between them a lot for the last six months or so. In general the '52 neck felt a bit fatter in depth, about the same width of fretboard, and the new Tele had a thinner neck. ( I can hear the groans of "who cares" from you guys - hang in there.)

In anticipation of receiving my PM20 that DHL left a "you weren't home" note on the door today I had been playing the Fly for a couple of days. Last night another guy came over and we played the Fly and the new Tele with the "thin neck". We would switch guitars back and forth. He is a big country style string bender and prefers the stop tail type of bridge, so I had locked the trem down on the Fly. When switching from one to the other the neck on the Tele felt like playing a baseball bat compared to the neck on the Fly. The Fly fretboard is not skinny or narrow ( like a Gibson Birdland, an old Mosrite or something) but it is thin front to back.

The Tele went back in the case and the Fly is on duty again. Plus the sound I get out of the Fly is really amazing. Tone wise the FLy blows the new Tele away. And my Fly has the original DeMarzio pickups in it; which by the way I like really well.

So there... that's my story until I get over to DHL tonight and get the Bubba wood special.

Ron

Ron Vermillion
ronvermillion@comcast.net
Ron Vermillion
ronvermillion2176@gmail.com
2007 Fly Mojo Natural Mahogany