Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Parker, don't change....  (Read 3162 times)

Offline Lwinn171

Parker, don't change....
« on: September 18, 2006, 03:50:49 PM »
So, on a thread about string spacing and saddle notches in the Tone-Pro bridge on the Fly Single-cut, I've seen a reply from Parker...

"They are ok in my eyes as the saddles are cut with relation to the guitars fret board. We don't use bridges with pre cut saddles because we want to give the player the ultimate spacing across the fretboard. We have had and seen this debate with other customers and we are thinking of going with pre cut saddles to stop this nonsense."

Yes, I agree it's nonsense. I also feel you shouldn't bow to it. Here's why. Suppose you do make the change. That will affect the string spacing required by a wider than average fretboard. It will feel wrong, and it will garner complaints. The difference is, those complaining (post-change) will be right, and you will have sided with those who are wrong IMHO. Stand your ground and tell them you have made a decision to custom cut the saddles, tailored to the individual guitars needs. Tell them no one else does this because it is easier not to. Don't EVER make a decision to lessen the quality of your products, especially the flagship Fly line-up. You are already doing it right. Stick to your guns on this one. [;)]

Lawrence Winn
"42.7 percent of all statistics are made-up on the spot."
2001 Fly Classic, Green
Larivee Parlour Guitar
Several inferior others
Mesa Boogie MK IV
Marshall 2-12 cab
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 03:51:42 PM by Lwinn171 »

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic, 98 Deluxe
various amps, various toys

Parker, don't change....

Offline 908ssp

Parker, don't change....
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 04:01:14 PM »
Hey Lwinn what would you think if they put the standard Fly fixed bridge on instead of the LP style tone Pros bridge and stop tail piece? Do you think it would put off those players looking for a LP type guitar? Would it make the guitar too close to a standard Fly?

It would solve the alignment problem. They don't offer a standard fixed bridge guitar only the much more expensive Artist, Jazz, or Spanish. The Stone guitar or Hardtail was a limited edition. They could then offer the piezo as an option on the SC if they wanted. I see no advantage to the LP style setup over the Fixed Fly bridge (hardtail bridge) and the spacing is correct on it from the get go.

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Parker, don't change....

Offline Musicman1

Parker, don't change....
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 04:42:42 PM »
I agree w/Alex on this.  They could and probably should lose the LP style bridge and tailpiece and instead use a hardtail Fly bridge.  I personally think the hardtail bridge should be a no cost option on all Fly's and Nitefly's anyway.

Musicman1

2005 Parker P44
2002 EB MM Axis Sport
1984 Custom made boutique Strat
1977 Guild D40 NT
1976 Gibson 335 Custom
A variety of amps and effects

Musicman1's current arsenal includes:
2007 EB MM JP6, Mystic Dream, piezo, matching headstock, dot inlays
2005 Parker P44, trans red
2002 EB MM Axis Sport  trans gold, rosewood fingerboard, hum/hum, vintage trem, matching headstock
1984 Custom made boutique Strat
1977 Guild D40 NT
1976 Gibson 335 Custom in sunburst
A variety of "tube free", absolutely non-boutique and completely replaceable amps and effects

Parker, don't change....

Offline Lwinn171

Parker, don't change....
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 08:37:41 PM »
Alex,

Yeah, I could see the Fly fixed bridge on the Single-cut Fly. I don't know if it would appeal to the LP crowd, but they already have a plethora of instruments to choose from. The idea is that the Fly should be superior to any other, and the Fly fixed bridge would help. I like the idea that a piezo could be installed. Good idea. Seems like an easy enough change to make.

Lawrence Winn
2001 Fly Classic, Green
Larivee Parlour Guitar
Several inferior others
Mesa Boogie MK IV
Marshall 2-12 cab

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic, 98 Deluxe

Parker, don't change....

Offline ChicagoKid

• http://www.USCustomShop.com
Parker, don't change....
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 09:32:28 PM »
I guess I missed this thread, oops.

Two things.

First, Gil's response seems to be different than what was quoted here or did I miss another post?

Also, I've already talked with Parker about this in the past. If you want a SC with the Parker Hardtail... order one. It's just that easy. They're ready and willing. No Piezo's though. Don't ask. No Piezo's. They're "almost" on a roll up there now. 24-30 weeks baby! That's very reasonable. Piezo would slow things down.

Hope this helps.

www.USCustomShop.com <coming soon>

Parker, don't change....

Offline Lwinn171

Parker, don't change....
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 10:23:15 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoKid

I guess I missed this thread, oops.

Two things.

First, Gil's response seems to be different than what was quoted here or did I miss another post?

Also, I've already talked with Parker about this in the past. If you want a SC with the Parker Hardtail... order one. It's just that easy. They're ready and willing. No Piezo's though. Don't ask. No Piezo's. They're "almost" on a roll up there now. 24-30 weeks baby! That's very reasonable. Piezo would slow things down.

Hope this helps.

The quote was cut and pasted from a post by tideslash in the thread about this subject in the Fly Guitars section of the forum, who said he cut and pasted it from an email(I think) from Parker. No names given or implied. Gil's comments confirmed what I thought to be true. Nice to know things are rolling along at the factory, and thanks for the info on what they will/won't do.

Lawrence Winn
2001 Fly Classic, Green
Larivee Parlour Guitar
Several inferior others
Mesa Boogie MK IV
Marshall 2-12 cab

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic, 98 Deluxe

Parker, don't change....

Offline 908ssp

Parker, don't change....
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 10:23:49 PM »
Thanks ChicagoKid for the info on the Fly Hardtail bridge. I didn't know it was an option but it did seem like a natural. I am going to avoid posting up there and hope those threads are finally put to bed.

I do understand the marketing decision to go with the Tone Pros bridge but the Fly hardtail bridge honestly is probably better in any case. [;)]

Another partial solution would be to go to a string through body instead of the stop tail. While that would not solve the offset it would probably be less noticeable if the strings went straight back and through the body. It would save some weight too.

[^]

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Parker, don't change....

Offline portnoy

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/Huntingdon-United-Kingdom/MusicStreetUK/193947947906?ref=ts
Parker, don't change....
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2006, 04:50:55 PM »
i think parker should turn around and just say! "who's making these guitars eh?" after all they know whats bet for the guitar to be at its optimum playabillity and comfortness dont they? they make these things all the time! Dont mess with perfection i say!

Parker fly deluxe ice blue burst, Ibanez DMM1, Marshall MG250dfx. Boss GT8