Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: secure trem arm  (Read 1811 times)

Offline Craigy

• http://www.craignewhouse.co.uk
secure trem arm
« on: October 03, 2006, 05:19:16 AM »
Greetings all, I am suffering from trem embarrassment. The hex arm keeps dropping out whilst I am playing. Any ideas to keep it in place for the duration of the gig? Also It hangs too low and I want to bend it up. Presumably its safe to do this in a vice?

secure trem arm

Offline Ron Vermillion

secure trem arm
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 07:14:35 AM »
Craigy I don't know. It would seem that you could pad a vice probably with thick leather and put small slow bends into it and get by with it but I haven't ever done it. Anyone ever done this? The dropping out part could probably be cured with a very very tiny bend in the part that goes in the guitar so that it would be in a small bind in there when inserted. Making a major bend in the outside arm might be tougher to do correctly. If you depend on this part or this guitar for income I'd recommend getting a replacement arm in hand before bending on the one you have.

Ron

Ron Vermillion
ronvermillion@comcast.net
Ron Vermillion
ronvermillion2176@gmail.com
2007 Fly Mojo Natural Mahogany

secure trem arm

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
secure trem arm
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 08:15:34 AM »
I have adjusted mine using a vice without the leather pads. That arm is pretty hard metal. In a pinch, I put it all the way through a keyhole on my closet door and bend it (I live in an old house with skeleton key-type keyholes. Very slight bend does it.

Bob

2000 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail  *  1999 Parker Fly Deluxe w/DiBurro Roland Mod Metallic Red  * 1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue (thanks, Darren!) •  Now on a signature reduction program! Just the Flies, maam. *  www.rtmadvertising.com
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

secure trem arm

Offline 908ssp

secure trem arm
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 08:48:54 AM »
Yep bending the arm to keep it in place is exactly what is described in the owners manual. This is a very slight bend just the gentlest of curves is all you want on the lower section that sticks into the trem itself.

As to the arm it is stainless and takes quit a bit of force to get it to bend. You will have to go farther then you actually want as it will spring back. So just go in increments. Pull it up say 14mm then it will drop back to stay at 4mm approximately. Try that and if it isn't enough repeat until you got it.

I use wood in the vise to protect the bars finish.

[^]

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

secure trem arm

Offline Craigy

• http://www.craignewhouse.co.uk
secure trem arm
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 12:39:32 PM »
Hi All. It worked. Gently does it mind. I raised the angle of the bar gradually and it works beautifully. I also put a very slight(almost unnoticeable) angle in the arm portion going into the bridge and it is well secured. All the time I was sweating thinking how hard it is to get a replacement whammy. I used a damp chamois leather in the vice to stop the arm getting damaged and that worked a treat. Thanks for the advice everybody, you de men!

Re: secure trem arm

Offline Mapletop

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 08:18:46 AM »
hi my bar falls out to,how far down the bar  that will go into the bushing do you bend?

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 11:29:50 AM »
Make the bend at the halfway point.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline billy

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 12:01:55 PM »
you don't want a "bend" per se, but rather a gentle curve along the length of the section that fits into the trem.  How much curve controls how tightly it fits.  Easy to do with a vice or two pairs of pliers.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]