Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: For voice and acoustic  (Read 5321 times)

jwrooker

For voice and acoustic
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2006, 11:22:18 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by jamrcat

quote:
I had a Marshall AS50R and it looked great. I sold it when I bought my UltraSound. I think the UltraSound sounds better than the AS50R.
John, thanks for chiming in on this one. The UltraSound for comparable wattage and speakers appears to cost more than the Marshall. What model of UltraSound do you have and what about it do you think sounds better specifically? [:)]

I have an AG50DS3 which was just replaced with the AG50DS4.  I think the UltraSound is built better, this little thing is a tank.  As far as sound, it just seemed more natural.  It happened like this..I had the AS50R and my wife had an electric violin so I bought her the AG30 UltraSound and I was amazed that it sounded better than the Marshall.  I started using the little AG30 for rehearsals and then decided to get the 50 so I sold both the Marshall and the AG30.  I think it has a feature set that stands up to its competition, Digital Effects (I don't use any), both 1/4" and XLR inputs on both channels.  I use it with a MamaBear, as you probably will and I have no reason to change at this point.  I bought mine from www.guitaradoptions.com and I highly recommend them.  They carry some classy stuff!  I could easily run us into bankruptcy buying from that place.

John Rooker
Rochester, NY

For voice and acoustic

Offline jamrcat

For voice and acoustic
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2006, 12:25:32 PM »
quote:
I bought mine from www.guitaradoptions.com and I highly recommend them. They carry some classy stuff! I could easily run us into bankruptcy buying from that place.
Thanks John, I see what you mean! This looks like a class act of a store. The new AG50DS4 is very tempting and very affordable! This unit and maybe a Valvetronix AD50VT might be a good combo for me. I have been looking at bigger amps but the weight is really an issue. Though I plan to keep these at home, my wife disagrees. She is probably right, she is right all the time! If I like them well enough I'll be hauling them all over![:D]

Parker TR P-36 Modified
Adamas 12 String
Washburn RS-10V
jamrcat
Butte, Montana
"A Fly for each hand!"

For voice and acoustic

Offline portnoy

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/Huntingdon-United-Kingdom/MusicStreetUK/193947947906?ref=ts
For voice and acoustic
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2006, 04:43:43 PM »
ive played my parker through a aer compact 60, i love them, certainly better than any other acoustic amps ive tried so far. I'm tempted to get one with my laney

Parker fly deluxe ice blue burst, Ibanez DMM1, Marshall MG250dfx. Boss GT8

For voice and acoustic

jwrooker

For voice and acoustic
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2006, 09:01:41 PM »
quote:
[Thanks John, I see what you mean! This looks like a class act of a store. The new AG50DS4 is very tempting and very affordable! This unit and maybe a Valvetronix AD50VT might be a good combo for me. I have been looking at bigger amps but the weight is really an issue. Though I plan to keep these at home, my wife disagrees. She is probably right, she is right all the time! If I like them well enough I'll be hauling them all over![:D]

jamrcat
Butte, Montana

I'll have to send you a pic of my little rig with the UltraSound, MamaBear and Vox AD50VT.  They look kind of cool in a minit stack of sorts. [8D]

John Rooker
Rochester, NY

For voice and acoustic

Offline sfw

For voice and acoustic
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2006, 08:43:37 AM »
While were sort of on this topic, here is a question. I've been playing directly through my Mackie mixing board into my Mackie SRM350 (Active PA). I REALLY like the sound reproduction. What I'm missing (obviously) is some effects. I was looking at the Korg PX4A and Mama Bear, but think just some simple eq, chorus, reverb might be all that is needed. Is there a single unit that might handle such things well on the accoustic side? Does the PODXT and/or Boss GT8 handle the effects for accoutics well too? I'm really just looking for something to put in the loop to give me some effects, not nec. looking to "model" different sounds. I like the sound I get from the P6 and through piezo with my DIY buffer (Thanks Paul!). Hopefully not too far off topic.

- Scott

Fly Artist (purchase fund started)
P6 Black
PM10; PM20; Franken-Fenders
Randall RM4,RT2/50 (1086, Clean, TopBoost)
Wiggles Murray, Barbie Electric w/matching mic, American Idol electric
- Scott

PM10; Few Nitefly's; Franken-Fenders
Wiggles Murray, Barbie Electric w/matching mic, American Idol electric, Pink Hello Kitty

For voice and acoustic

jwrooker

For voice and acoustic
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2006, 11:57:16 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by sfw

While were sort of on this topic, here is a question. I've been playing directly through my Mackie mixing board into my Mackie SRM350 (Active PA). I REALLY like the sound reproduction. What I'm missing (obviously) is some effects. I was looking at the Korg PX4A and Mama Bear, but think just some simple eq, chorus, reverb might be all that is needed. Is there a single unit that might handle such things well on the accoustic side? Does the PODXT and/or Boss GT8 handle the effects for accoutics well too? I'm really just looking for something to put in the loop to give me some effects, not nec. looking to "model" different sounds. I like the sound I get from the P6 and through piezo with my DIY buffer (Thanks Paul!). Hopefully not too far off topic.

- Scott

This isn't a direct response, but I've been a little critical of the sound of the MamaBear in the past and it is beginning to dawn on me that the sounds in the MamaBear were made to sound like a guitar recorded with a really good mic, including some room ambience.  I find that running the MamaBear without reverb or any kind actually improves the sound because there is already some room ambience in the sound???  I dunno, I may be completely wrong..wont' be the first time today. [8D]

John Rooker
Rochester, NY

For voice and acoustic

Offline jamrcat

For voice and acoustic
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2006, 03:29:08 PM »
quote:
I'll have to send you a pic of my little rig with the UltraSound, MamaBear and Vox AD50VT. They look kind of cool in a minit stack of sorts.
I'd love to see it John, since I will be dealing with the same configuration soon. Your comment about the Mama Bear and reverb is interesting. I have not used any effects in with my MB because I've liked the raw sound I get. Wouldn't surprise me if there was some added. The idea I'm sure is an attempt to emulate the natural resonance of each instrument! [:p]

Parker TR P-36 Modified
Adamas 12 String
Washburn RS-10V
jamrcat
Butte, Montana
"A Fly for each hand!"

For voice and acoustic

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
For voice and acoustic
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2006, 12:31:26 PM »
quote:
...it is beginning to dawn on me that the sounds in the MamaBear were made to sound like a guitar recorded with a really good mic, including some room ambience.  I find that running the MamaBear without reverb or any kind actually improves the sound because there is already some room ambience in the sound??? [8D]

John Rooker
Rochester, NY

Hey John, Precisely. If you were recording, you'd use some studio reverb to put your guitar "into your recording" or, for your amp in a live situation, you'd treat it exactly as you would an acoustic guitar going into your amp. If you wanted your acoustic guitar to have a spring reverb sound, you'd use some. But if you wanted it to sound natural, you wouldn't. Also, keep in mind that a light touch when using an electric guitar is called for (unless you use 12-54 or 13-56 strings with a wound G on your electrics. You may not hear the strings whacking the frets, but when you have light strings, they have a very different dynamic than the strings you'd typically use on an acoustic instrument.

Bob

2000 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail  *  1999 Parker Fly Deluxe w/DiBurro Roland Mod Metallic Red  * 1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue (thanks, Darren!) •  Now on a signature reduction program! Just the Flies, maam. *  www.rtmadvertising.com
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

For voice and acoustic

jwrooker

For voice and acoustic
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2006, 01:32:59 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by uburoibob

Hey John, Precisely. If you were recording, you'd use some studio reverb to put your guitar "into your recording" or, for your amp in a live situation, you'd treat it exactly as you would an acoustic guitar going into your amp. If you wanted your acoustic guitar to have a spring reverb sound, you'd use some. But if you wanted it to sound natural, you wouldn't. Also, keep in mind that a light touch when using an electric guitar is called for (unless you use 12-54 or 13-56 strings with a wound G on your electrics. You may not hear the strings whacking the frets, but when you have light strings, they have a very different dynamic than the strings you'd typically use on an acoustic instrument.

Bob, I'm a slow learner but I ultimately do learn! [8D]  The guitar I use is strung with 10's and I'm one of the few people I know that uses a thin pick.  I go through a lot of them, but I like the sound I get from them.  

I may not own a Parker at this point in time, but it was owning a Parker that started me using a piezo/magnetic equipped guitar and I haven't been without one since.  There are very few songs in which I use a straight acoustic voice, but mixing in the acoustic with the electric opens up a whole new range of tones.

John Rooker
Rochester, NY

For voice and acoustic

Offline delucmi

For voice and acoustic
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2006, 10:03:32 AM »
quote:

Hey guys, Help!!! I've caught the acoustic amp bug. I appreciate your info and have been researching all these great acoustic amps. Has anyone tried the Marshall AS100D? I've read good reviews on it but cannot try one before I buy! Any thoughts? [:p]
Butte, Montana

Hey there! Here is my change to offer you some valuable info after you helped me so well with my pickguard... rather than recap, read my post here: http://forums.parkerguitars.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3533

'89 Ovation Custom Legend
'06 Ovation NEB Elite 12
'69 Fender Reissue
NEW Parker P36 Black
NEW Parker Fly Mojo - Natural Mahogany
Fender Nashville Power Telecaster (Fishman Piezo set up)
Band: http://www.philnthevoid.com

For voice and acoustic

Offline jamrcat

For voice and acoustic
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2006, 10:48:54 AM »
quote:
Hey there! Here is my change to offer you some valuable info after you helped me so well with my pickguard... rather than recap, read my post here: http://forums.parkerguitars.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3533
Mike, thanks for the info! I'm curious though why you wouldn't run your P-36 stereo with your mags going through the Fender and your piezo's run through the Marshall? I have a Fender Cyber Twin and was going to add an acoustic amp probably for the same reason that you have, but I can't imagine giving up my twin sound! Just curious![;)]

Parker TR P-36 Modified, Adamas 12 String, Washburn RS-10V
Fender Cyber Twin, Korg AX1500G, d-tar Mama Bear, Crown CE2000 & JBL cabinets.
jamrcat
Butte, Montana
"A Fly for each hand!"

For voice and acoustic

Offline delucmi

For voice and acoustic
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2006, 11:59:54 AM »
quote:

Mike, thanks for the info! I'm curious though why you wouldn't run your P-36 stereo with your mags going through the Fender and your piezo's run through the Marshall?

Simple... My P36 took the place of my acoustic. I never use the mags. [:D]

'06 Ovation NEB Elite 12
'69 Fender Reissue
NEW Parker P36 Black
NEW Parker Fly Mojo - Natural Mahogany
Fender Nashville Power Telecaster (Fishman Piezo set up)
Band: http://www.philnthevoid.com