Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Replace MIDIFly phantom power w/ battery?  (Read 1204 times)

Offline darc

Replace MIDIFly phantom power w/ battery?
« on: November 01, 2006, 01:34:29 PM »
This is something I revisit about once a year, and start asking questions on the web hoping someone smarter than me has thought about it and can help. Basically, I think the MIDIFly would be the perfect MIDI controller if only I could come up with a way to get rid of the phantom power box and use a battery or battery pack instead. That might sound kind of fussy, but I'm a laptop warrior and the AC requirement for MIDI is frequently a thorn in my side. As it happens, I just about never use the piezos on this axe, so I would be willing to reroute that 9V battery if it were sufficient. But my guess (just that, a guess) is that the current draw would kill the 9V right quick.

So... does anybody have any experience with this sort of conversion? I'm thinking that the phantom power delivers DC across 2 pins on the MIDI cable, and if I could determine the voltage and current I could just wire a battery with switch directly into those two wires in a MIDI cable... and that would be that. But I've had no luck measuring this (tried all pins, found nothing meaningful) and even given those figures I would probably not know how best to choose a battery.

The most important thing of course is that I do not fry the now quite uncommon MIDIAxe guts in the process. :)

So any MIDIFly owners here with a similar interest or experience?

Thanks!