Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Parker Trem on P series.  (Read 5033 times)

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
Parker Trem on P series.
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2005, 08:51:56 AM »
there is a subtle difference between:
"in my opinion i think you are being close minded"

and

"you ARE incredibly close minded"  perhaps you ought to use the smileys to convey the thoughts that text doesn't.
anyway, i'll go away now and say no more on the matter[:)]
2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo signed by Steve Vai, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!

Parker Trem on P series.

Offline bostjan

• http://hometown.aol.com/__121b_L3tSnijvtzp0yjselCuPrmUti1/crMEW
Parker Trem on P series.
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2005, 07:48:19 PM »
ok, the fact of the matter is that the company is in business to sell guitars and to offer a unique product.

parker is certainly not the quaker oats of guitars.  we expect more of parker than they could ever possibly live up to.  i don't mean this at all in a negative way, quite the opposite actually! [:)]  parker came out with the fly!  then, they came out with a fly bass!  i mean, come on, you have to admit that it seems like strokes of genious come naturally for these people.  when you ask them for something you think wouldn't be such a big deal, you set yourself up for disaster because not even the greatest company can please all of the people all of the time.

the godin eleven string fretless thing is awesome.  i love weird stuff like that.  i would love to see parker do something weird, but i don't expect them to do it unless it's practical.

that being said, i don't see how different scale lengths and different numbers of string and especially different pickup configurations is weird.  seven string guitars have become commonplace over the last ten years, out-selling twelve strings for a while.  scale length has always been a subject of debate and there is no 'standard' scale length unless you are talking about a particular brand.  different pickup configurations?  the parker fly was one of the first guitars i ever saw with magnetic and piezo pickups.  now, the question is if a guitar would be economical to produce.

i agree that experimentation with a slightly shorter scale would please quite a few people.  i would say 'go for it.'  i'm sure not going to buy an electric with twenty-four and three-quarters inch scale when i can get the same thing with twenty-five or twenty-five and a half inch scale.  i'd love a fanned-fret guitar though.  i highly doubt it'd be economical for parker to market,considering very few players feel the same way i do about compound scale lengths or even scale lengths in general.  anyway, many les paulers out there would probably prefer the shorter scale length.

different numbers of strings- many different string configurations have come and gone over the years.  one thing i can say is that three types are here to stay: six string, twelve string, and seven string.  the seven string has been around about as long as the six string has.  fine don't believe me.  why do you think they made a six string to begin with?  it was to one-up the french and their five-string guitars.  the russians made seven strings shortly thereafter to one-up the spanish and so on.  i've seen eight string guitars from the eighteenth century in magazines.  the modern seven string has been around a lot longer than steve vai.  many of the old-time jazz players used seven strings exclusively.  in modern rock, the instrument has become increasingly popular, and now dozens of players in each style of music can be seen with them.

the stability of a parker lends itself to solve the multi-string issue.  luthiers making instruments with more and more strings run into neck problems all of the time.  the eight string nevborn guitars are notorious for warpage and tuning nightmares, bill conklin uses all sorts of perpleheart, bubinga, wenge, etc. to stabilize the necks of guitars with eight or more strings.  parker has the technology to make super stable seven-, eight-, and more-stringed guitars that would totally blow everything else out of the water.  does this mean they have to make it?  well, no, but it really does beg the question.  imagine you drive a coupe that you really love and someone designs a engine that doesn't wear out for a hundred years, uses less fuel, and gets more horsepower, but they only make it for sedans and they tell you there is no way that they can make you one for a coupe.  you would think this was rather arbitrary, but it is true that making one for a coupe would cost money and more people drive sedans (even though a large minority drive coupes).  so you buy a coupe and a sedan and wait patiently for the coupe with the super-engine...for about ten years.  then you start to feel like it will never happen, until one day you the company says that they don't make the engine for a coupe ...yet.  and start an online forum for people to make suggestions.  then you post non-stop about how great it would be if they could just make you an engine for a coupe.  other coupe-drivers congregate on the forum until someone blows their top and then someone else types out a big long post with horrible analogies that really lead nowhere.  then the doorbell rings and they have to answer...hang on.

ok, anyway, we are all close minded, but as guitar players, we ought to be more open. [:)]  (lol as if any of us are)  i admit i am very close minded, especially on this issue.  well, good luck with your p-series seven string and i'll keep begging mercilessly for a deluxe seven string lol.  [:D]

Parker Trem on P series.

Offline bostjan

Parker Trem on P series.
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2005, 07:53:04 PM »
omg! let me apologize for that, i had no idea how long i was babbling.

let me point out that i'm sure none of us have the intent of upsetting you.  alex just likes see things from the 'parker isn't about to make a seven string view,' where as we see it as 'parker ought to think about making a seven string' view.  both are correct, but they are different views. [:)]

Parker Trem on P series.

Offline loumt123

Parker Trem on P series.
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2005, 08:29:13 PM »
Bostjan you hit my point on the head..that's exactly what i was trying to say by experimenting with the fly, what's wrong with trying a few things like a seven string through the p line. I don't think they should take it to an extreme...but i don't see what's wrong in relation to exploring other possibilities.[:D]

Parker Trem on P series.

Offline bostjan

Parker Trem on P series.
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2005, 11:41:19 PM »
i think experimenting would be great, but imho, i think a seven string parker would be more of a sure thing for us seven string players.  [8)]

Parker Trem on P series.

Offline loumt123

Parker Trem on P series.
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2005, 06:07:20 PM »
yes im in the process of looking for a nice seven string electric..but i recently ordered a 7 string nylon acoustic/electric guitar [8D]. I should have some fun with that

Parker Trem on P series.

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
Parker Trem on P series.
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2005, 02:12:13 AM »
the car engine analogy is good - iam starting to agree with bostjan
 !!!!!
2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo signed by Steve Vai, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!

Parker Trem on P series.

Offline Nomad

Parker Trem on P series.
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2005, 05:38:15 PM »
Tremolo part suggestion for P series: (sorry to bring back the original topic)

I have seen a new device on the net. Maybe this could be a good thing to put in:
www.dircksons.com

It is my understanding that it will fit on most 'traditional' tremolo's which then gives all the trem modes we know from the Parker tremolo system...good be a nice thingy.

I think StewMac will offer it (soon?)

Parker Trem on P series.

Offline loumt123

Parker Trem on P series.
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2005, 07:18:52 PM »
AMAZING find...wow what an idea...I certainly hope parker utilizes this...

Parker Trem on P series.

Offline Nomad

Parker Trem on P series.
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2005, 07:54:19 AM »
It looks simple and effective, and probably cheap to produce.
Also very simular to the adjustmemt procedure we known from the Parker tremolo sytem. So...?, maybe..?!!