Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ultimate amp setup for the Fly!  (Read 2618 times)

Offline Guit Fiddle

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 131
Ultimate amp setup for the Fly!
« on: November 22, 2006, 12:18:32 PM »
Just in case you wanted to know the ultimate amp setup for the Fly in my humble opinion, I think I’ve found it.  It’s a VOX Tonelab SE and a Carvin AG100D amp.  The AG100D has 3 channels. Channel 1 is specifically set up for a piezo signal, with a parametric mid EQ and two boost/cut buttons along with standard EQ.  Add in a touch of the built in chorus/verb, and it’s a beautiful thing.  Both left and right signals from the Tonelab go into channels 2 and 3 with the EQ set flat and no effects.  This also lets the Tonelab work in the way it was designed to work – through a full-range amp and not a guitar amp. The AG100D also has an adjustable horn for presence and high-end tweaking.  

The tones are just all-around awesome and there is complete control over everything.  The amp is small, loud and weighs 35 lbs so hauling it around is no biggie for those of us who are getting old and brittle. [;)]  It is more that loud enough for loud rehearsals, and when playing live you can just run a line out from the amp to the house sound, using the amp itself for a monitor.  I’m tellin’ ya, this is a killer setup and makes the most of the Fly’s versatility.  At $1000 for both the amp and Tonelab, it’s not terribly expensive either.

Just thought I’d share!  [8D]
 

Ultimate amp setup for the Fly!

jwrooker

  • Guest
Ultimate amp setup for the Fly!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 12:24:52 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Guit Fiddle

Just in case you wanted to know the ultimate amp setup for the Fly in my humble opinion, I think I’ve found it.  It’s a VOX Tonelab SE and a Carvin AG100D amp.  The AG100D has 3 channels. Channel 1 is specifically set up for a piezo signal, with a parametric mid EQ and two boost/cut buttons along with standard EQ.  Add in a touch of the built in chorus/verb, and it’s a beautiful thing.  Both left and right signals from the Tonelab go into channels 2 and 3 with the EQ set flat and no effects.  This also lets the Tonelab work in the way it was designed to work – through a full-range amp and not a guitar amp. The AG100D also has an adjustable horn for presence and high-end tweaking.  

The tones are just all-around awesome and there is complete control over everything.  The amp is small, loud and weighs 35 lbs so hauling it around is no biggie for those of us who are getting old and brittle. [;)]  It is more that loud enough for loud rehearsals, and when playing live you can just run a line out from the amp to the house sound, using the amp itself for a monitor.  I’m tellin’ ya, this is a killer setup and makes the most of the Fly’s versatility.  At $1000 for both the amp and Tonelab, it’s not terribly expensive either.

Just thought I’d share!  [8D]




I'll bet that's a nice sounding setup.  I use a Vox AD50VT and I love it and the ToneLab is more versatile.  The only thing I'd add is a D-Tar MamaBear in the Piezo line and then you'd have just about everything.

John Rooker
Rochester, NY
98 Fly Classic...coming soon!

Ultimate amp setup for the Fly!

Offline cy2989

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 901
    • http://chrisyoungportraits.com
Ultimate amp setup for the Fly!
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 05:41:20 PM »
"The only thing I'd add is a D-Tar MamaBear in the Piezo line and then you'd have just about everything"

John, what does the D-tar do exactly. I looked it up and it looks like it models the sound of acoustic guitars.  Do you get a better sound with the parker piezo?

Chris
Tom Anderson Crowdster, Huss & Dalton CM, Montalvo Cocobolo Flamenco, Godin Flat Five X, Godin Multiac Nylon SA, Pavan Classical

Ultimate amp setup for the Fly!

jwrooker

  • Guest
Ultimate amp setup for the Fly!
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 07:32:56 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by cy2989

John, what does the D-tar do exactly. I looked it up and it looks like it models the sound of acoustic guitars.  Do you get a better sound with the parker piezo?



that's pretty much what it does.  They modeled some pretty fantastic acoustic guitars when they designed the MamaBear.  I've always loved Martin Dreadnoughts so my favorite model is a rosewood dread.  It gives the input signal the acoustic qualities of the model.  Does it make a solid body, piezo equipped guitar sound like a pre war Martin?  No..but it really improves upon the acoustic sound.  With my setup, I can play an acoustic part and never have to lug around an acoustic guitar.



[img=left]http://jwrooker.com/images/parkerforum/sig.jpg[/img=left]
John Rooker
Rochester, NY
98 Fly Classic Emerald Green

Ultimate amp setup for the Fly!

Offline Bill

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4839
  • What is this ?
Ultimate amp setup for the Fly!
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 09:19:13 PM »
Hi John. You and Jamcat have convinced me to get the D-tar Mama Bear.

Jamcat mentioned he got one for less than 300. Cheapest I found on ebay was a buy it now new for 349. Is there a cheaper way? Seems expensive. Is that what you paid for yours?

I gather it asks for your guitar/pick up type. The ad said you pick it by body type? Does it specifically have a preset for for the Fly Piezo or a Fishman piezo or do you just call it a solid body piezo?

Custom '03 Hardtail Artist ; Fly Deluxe 2000; Gibson ES137; 1974 K.Yari DY85; SchecterDisposable; Martin Backpacker/paddle combo;LarriveeParlor;VoxAD30VT
A few Flys in my soup

Ultimate amp setup for the Fly!

Offline jamrcat

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3137
Ultimate amp setup for the Fly!
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2006, 09:36:22 PM »
Bill, the Mama Bear has 16 inputs you can choose from and 16 outputs. Some of the inputs sound better with a piezo. The unit is designed for all sorts of acoustic pickups and they all have different characteristics. I have like 2 or 3 settings that I use all the time. You pick and choose them to your liking. Primarily I use my MAma Bear to create a warm acoustic sound and then leave it there all the time. It really improved the sound of my piezo and got rid of the common but dreaded "quack" sound of the piezo. I only use my mag pickups now for blending in leads or when I need a real classic sound for a rock style song. Otherwise it's on Mama Bear all the time!

A note about the price: I found a store who basically didn't know what the Mama Bear was and wanted to clear out their inventory. MB's are almost exclusively listed at $349. I was just patient and found one nobody bid on! [:p] Goodluck! [^]

Parker TR P-36 Modified, Fender Cyber Twin, Korg AX1500G, d-tar Mama Bear
jamrcat
Butte, Montana
Liquidating for a Fly!!!
"A Fly for each hand!"

Ultimate amp setup for the Fly!

Offline Bill

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4839
  • What is this ?
Ultimate amp setup for the Fly!
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2006, 09:47:15 PM »
Thanks Jamcat. You guys really got me excited now. I can't imagine playing my flys with just piezo. MB must really make it sound good.

Just ordered one. Can't wait and thanks for your help.



Custom '03 Hardtail Artist ; Fly Deluxe 2000; Gibson ES137; 1974 K.Yari DY85; SchecterDisposable; Martin Backpacker/paddle combo;LarriveeParlor;VoxAD30VT
A few Flys in my soup

Ultimate amp setup for the Fly!

Offline cy2989

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 901
    • http://chrisyoungportraits.com
Ultimate amp setup for the Fly!
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2006, 08:27:49 AM »
Bill,

Please post once you receive it and have had time to play a little.

Chris
Tom Anderson Crowdster, Huss & Dalton CM, Montalvo Cocobolo Flamenco, Godin Flat Five X, Godin Multiac Nylon SA, Pavan Classical

Ultimate amp setup for the Fly!

Offline Bill

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4839
  • What is this ?
Ultimate amp setup for the Fly!
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2006, 09:15:45 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by cy2989

Bill,

Please post once you receive it and have had time to play a little.

Chris
Tom Anderson Crowdster, Huss & Dalton CM, Montalvo Cocobolo Flamenco, Godin Flat Five X, Godin Multiac Nylon SA, Pavan Classical




[;)]




Custom '03 Hardtail Artist ; Fly Deluxe 2000; Gibson ES137; 1974 K.Yari DY85; SchecterDisposable; Martin Backpacker/paddle combo;LarriveeParlor;VoxAD30VT
A few Flys in my soup

Ultimate amp setup for the Fly!

Offline ZenFly

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 152
    • http://www.dpopro.com
Ultimate amp setup for the Fly!
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 10:20:19 PM »
The dTar looks interesting, but;
my "ultimate" amd set up is still
H&K zenTera combo for the mags and piezos
and
a small mixer through 2 Mackie SRM450's for my vg8ex and gr33. I also run a direct out from the zenTera to the mixer to blend my tones.

It is all a personal opinion and experience, but I find my RMC's sound great through a clean patch (fender or roland) on my zenTera. Blend in a 6 or 12 string acoustic patch from the VG8ex and it is an amazing sound.



'99 Parker Fly Classic w RMC mod
'99 Parker Fly Classic w RMC mod

'05 Mojo