Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: SWR California Blonde  (Read 3858 times)

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
SWR California Blonde
« on: November 22, 2006, 07:09:37 PM »
After a lot of going back and forth I finally decided to get this amp. Its an older one (made in USA pre Fender--When fender bought them out thet moved the plant to Mexico and supposedly suffered some quality issues from that).

Anyway it was half the cost of the AER compact 60 and seems to have favorable reviews. I don't know how it will do for vocal or on the Fly piezo but I guess we will see when it gets here. [:p]

Custom '03 Hardtail Artist ; Fly Deluxe 2000; Tasmanian Custom by Ken Parker (not really -just testing to see if anyone really ever reads this stuff); Gibson ES137; 1974 K.Yari DY85; Waterproof SchecterDisposable; Martin Backpacker/paddle combo;LarriveeParlor;VoxAD30VT
A few Flys in my soup

SWR California Blonde

Offline 908ssp

SWR California Blonde
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 09:59:59 PM »
The SWR acoustic amps have been well thought of for quite a while. I have the smaller version the Strawberry Blond and I think it works well and sounds very good.

Did you find one used? That would save you a ton of money. There was a used Fishman on the TGP it seems to be still up for sale. But I think the price still looks high and I don't know this guy.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=182099&highlight=acoustic

[^]

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

SWR California Blonde

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
SWR California Blonde
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 07:17:05 AM »
yea, I finally got frustrated and just ebayed it. 404 bucks but shipping was a surprise. I thought it would be about 50 bucks. At first he said shipping was 140(USD) from vancouver but he dropped it to 100 because he agreed to drive an hour(had other buisness) to the northwest states to ship. So I eneded up paying 504. Not great but about average for used I think.

Its solid state but I still worry about UPS shipping.Its light used/mint.

I wanted the AER but the micro cube version that Bob uses doesn't have a second channel for vocal. You have to go up to the compact 60 and the best price on that I found was 960.

Because I now have 2 kids "gigging out" (for fun only) I almost splurged for the new Bose PA tower. When not playing through it I could hook it up to TV and use it as home theatre/ sound system.

In the end I thought it best to keep things cheap(er) and simple until I know more about what I'm doing. With the Vox and this, I should have enough to get me started.

As usual, TMI---More than you wanted to know, right? [:I]

Custom '03 Hardtail Artist ; Fly Deluxe 2000; Tasmanian Custom by Ken Parker (not really -just testing to see if anyone really ever reads this stuff); Gibson ES137; 1974 K.Yari DY85; Waterproof SchecterDisposable; Martin Backpacker/paddle combo;LarriveeParlor;VoxAD30VT
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 08:02:45 AM by Bill »
A few Flys in my soup

SWR California Blonde

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
SWR California Blonde
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 07:29:35 AM »
From EBAY listing :

Excellent condition. Never been on the road, out to a few local gigs. Bought it, just never used it much. Here's what I've used it for, with excellent results:

Acoustic guitars (mic and pickup)
Acoustic/vocal solo act PA
Mandolin (mic and pickup)
Fiddle
Dulcimer
Upright bass
Upright electric bass
Electric guitar with an amp modeler
Electric bass

DESCRIPTION
120 Watt combo amplifier with the warmth and ability to reproduce the natural tones and characteristics of acoustic or electric instruments, including guitar.

Noted users: Jackson Browne, Lindsay Buckingham, Steve Earle, Stone Gossard (Pearl Jam), Davey Johnstone, John Jorgenson, Laurence Juber, Martin Simpson, Jeff Tweedy (Wilco)

FEATURES
2 Independent channels
Mono & Stereo Inputs
Master Volume Control
Foot-switchable Spring Reverb with Master Reverb Control
Stereo Headphone Jack
Discrete Solid-State front end
Side Chain Effects Loops
Blend Controls for each channel
Balanced Line Out
Tuner Output
Tilt Stand for easy angling
Top Handle
Chrome protective corners
Bottom Slot Port
Blonde Tolex Covering
Vibration free speaker grill
Tweeter Attenuator Control (available on S/N 4000 and greater)

POWER OUTPUT
120 Watts RMS

SPEAKER COMPLEMENT
(1) Custom 12" speaker from Celestion
(1) Custom SWR tweeter

FREQUENCY RESPONSE
30 Hz to 16 KHz

ENCLOSURE IMPEDANCE
8 Ohms

DIMENSIONS
24"H x 14.5"W x 14.5"D

WEIGHT
50 lbs.

Here are some reviews:

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data/SWR/California_Blonde-01.html

Buyer pays actually shipping and packaging costs. Note the weight and dimensions and use them to calculate at UPS.com from Vancouver, V6Z 1R3

Question & Answer   Answered On

Q:   Hi, was this particular amp made in the U.S. or Mexico? Thanks! Joe
   Nov-14-06

A:   It's a pre-Fender model, so made in U.S. The serial is 0465.

A few Flys in my soup

SWR California Blonde

Offline 908ssp

SWR California Blonde
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 08:21:24 AM »
So he drove it into the states to ship? If so you got lucky. I wouldn't have bought it from Canada unless I felt the price was ripping deal too many here in the states to worry about customs. Yea I know there should be no duty on bringing something back into the country but do you want to argue with the idiots working for the shippers? Sorry I know this is a sore point with my Canadian friends and we have it better then they do but it still happens, especially on something expensive. OK sorry won't go into that here.

Bill I feel certain you'll be happy with that amp.

I just thought of a deal for you. I'll email you.

[^]

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

SWR California Blonde

Offline simonlock

SWR California Blonde
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 08:54:44 AM »
Shipping through UPS or similar is retarded *ahem* I mean challenged, because it cost 2-3 times more than for the same route coming from the US-Can. I sent a Nitefly to AZ and it cost 115cdn. Roughly 100usd. The same route coming from AZ would have been about 43-54 and USPS would be about 40(but slower).

If anyone from Canada buys from the US frequently and hasn't used USPS before I recommend using them. I've had to pay 100cdn on every guitar coming through UPS. Through USPS I paid 14cdn for my Fly Mojo Flame and 0.00cdn for my 99Classic.

Simon

06 Parker Fly Mojo Flame-trans blue * 06 Parker Fly Mojo-trans cherry * 06 Parker Fly Classic-dusty black * 99 Parker Fly Classic-natural * 99 Parker Fly Classic - trans cherry * 96 Parker Fly Standard-emerald green * 06 Parker Nitefly SA-trans blue * 05 Ibanez JS1200