Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Moma Mia Bear  (Read 3138 times)

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
Moma Mia Bear
« on: December 10, 2006, 12:45:05 AM »
Ok I've played with it some. It seems well made. Instructions are simple and design is intuitive. The blend mode is a great feature(blends the target modeled sound with your amps natural sound). Its a quality tool. That said, its 349.00 (includes shipping). I think thats high. Should sell for 200.

I played through the SWR California Blonde with my Artist. The best input numbers for me seemed to be # 5 (coax film-) and # 11 (solid body, metal piezo bridge-). Too bad they didn't have an input number specifially for the Parker Fishman Piezo.

All the targeted models were fun for various styles. The ones I liked the best were the rosewood dread (John also liked that one) and both the resonators and the small body fingerstyle.

Now I have to say that I really like my Blonde and one of my favorite options was also turning off the Moma Bear and playing it straight. The MB sounded a little bit muddy at times and the Blonde by itself is so clean. I appreciate John's remark about turning off reverb through the MB and I will try that next time (had it midway).

I have yet to try the Deluxe through the MB. I have tried the Deluxe through the Blonde alone and the Piezo is not as nice as it is in the Artist so maybe the MB will be more beneficial to the Deluxe ?

Hey Jamcat and John (and anyone else)--What input number do you think works best? (ie which input choice do you guys think is most agreeable with a Parker?)

I think I am going to keep it but I'm not 100% sure. I need more time to fiddle.

I am an electronics newbie so take that into account but , I hope this helps.

Custom '03 Hardtail Artist ; Fly Deluxe 2000; Gibson ES137; 1974 K.Yari DY85; SchecterDisposable; Martin Backpacker/paddle combo;LarriveeParlor;VoxAD30VT
A few Flys in my soup

Moma Mia Bear

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
Moma Mia Bear
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 09:45:33 PM »
Well I had a chance to use the Mama Bear with the Deluxe and there was a much more noticable improvement on the Dluxe. I would say it enhances the piezo tone significantly to almost equal to the Artist piezo. Cutting the reverb helped and since John and Bob pointed it out, I can actually hear the reverb premixed into the various models now so that was smart of you guys to figure that out.

I have spent a good deal of time playing today. The vox ,blonde, and moma bear blends made for a really great tone-a-thon. [:)]

Custom '03 Hardtail Artist ; Fly Deluxe 2000; Gibson ES137; 1974 K.Yari DY85; SchecterDisposable; Martin Backpacker/paddle combo;LarriveeParlor;VoxAD30VT;SWR California Blonde
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 09:46:02 PM by Bill »
A few Flys in my soup

Moma Mia Bear

Offline jamrcat

Moma Mia Bear
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 11:18:34 PM »
My favorite Mama Bear setting and also "Trap's" he was the one who suggested it to me is: Input Source set to #6 and Target Source set to #12. I also use the Analog Lo-Cut switch pushed in (located under the input front panel) Blend set at 100%, then blend in the amount of bottom I want on my pre-amp. I suggested this in another thread, but just in case you missed it: you should listen to Mama Bear via headphones. This way you'll know exactly what MB's doing because your pre-amps can have way too much influence on your set-up. That way when you listen to it through your pre-amp or amplifier you'll know what the true sound should be![;)]

Parker TR P-36 Modified, Fender Cyber Twin, Korg AX1500G, d-tar Mama Bear
jamrcat
Butte, Montana
Fly Coming Soon!
"A Fly for each hand!"

Moma Mia Bear

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
Moma Mia Bear
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 06:25:15 AM »
Thanks Ricky. I did miss/forget the prior thread on the settings. I will try that again. I have an electric/acoustic I can't wait to use it on too. Whats also amazing to me is the effect my acoustic side has now on the depth(?) of the sound from mag side when I blend those too.(more stereo effect somehow or maybe just cause I'm sitting closer fiddleng with the MB)

This is going to be fun [:)]

Custom '03 Hardtail Artist ; Fly Deluxe 2000; Gibson ES137; 1974 K.Yari DY85; SchecterDisposable; Martin Backpacker/paddle combo;LarriveeParlor;VoxAD30VT;SWR California Blonde
A few Flys in my soup

Moma Mia Bear

Offline jamrcat

Moma Mia Bear
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 11:02:47 AM »
From the beginning I felt the Dreadnought settings were too bottom heavy for my tastes! To deal with that I use the Analog low cut filter. Every target setting has it's own unique tone but the EQ's were all over the board! So I just dial in the tone I'm looking for and then adjust the Eq to bring in just the right amount of bottom! When I've set-up my guitars this way I'm usually pretty happy with the results, and I don't spend as much time going through all the combinations. I'm just thinking out loud here, I'm glad your discovering all of the possibilities! [:D]

jamrcat
Butte, Montana
Fly Coming Soon!
"A Fly for each hand!"

Moma Mia Bear

jwrooker

Moma Mia Bear
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 11:47:53 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by jamrcat

From the beginning I felt the Dreadnought settings were too bottom heavy for my tastes! To deal with that I use the Analog low cut filter. Every target setting has it's own unique tone but the EQ's were all over the board! So I just dial in the tone I'm looking for and then adjust the Eq to bring in just the right amount of bottom! When I've set-up my guitars this way I'm usually pretty happy with the results, and I don't spend as much time going through all the combinations. I'm just thinking out loud here, I'm glad your discovering all of the possibilities! [:D]

Dreads are bottom heavy by nature anyway.  I'm interested in why you use imput setting 6 when it is listed as a coax film pickup.  I honestly have never even tried that with the solid guitars but it is the one I use with my acoustic.  With the Strat, I used 12 because the scooped mid gave the Strat a little more top end.  The Fly doesn't need it and I use 11 which has a flatter response.  With the Strat, I turned on the bass cut, but I have it off with the Fly.  I guess I'll have to try each and every input source one of these days.. [:D]

[img=left]http://jwrooker.com/images/parkerforum/sig.jpg[/img=left]
John Rooker
Rochester, NY
98 Fly Classic Emerald Green

Moma Mia Bear

Offline jamrcat

Moma Mia Bear
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 12:02:23 PM »
quote:
Dreads are bottom heavy by nature anyway. I'm interested in why you use imput setting 6 when it is listed as a coax film pickup.
I agree with you totally on the Dreads, I just didn't want the bottom that heavy! You are not limited to what input source you use. Each one has it's own characteristics, I just experimented like Bill is doing, until I found what I liked! I hadn't tried #6 either until Trap emailed me and said I had to try it! [^]

jamrcat
Butte, Montana
Fly Coming Soon!
"A Fly for each hand!"

Moma Mia Bear

jwrooker

Moma Mia Bear
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 12:08:32 PM »
quote:
I agree with you totally on the Dreads, I just didn't want the bottom that heavy! You are not limited to what input source you use. Each one has it's own characteristics, I just experimented like Bill is doing, until I found what I liked! I hadn't tried #6 either until Trap emailed me and said I had to try it! [^]

So, like most things musical..the best thing to do is throw away the manual and turn knobs until it doesn't suck.  [:D]

John Rooker
Rochester, NY

Moma Mia Bear

jwrooker

Moma Mia Bear
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 12:43:05 PM »
Twiddled the kmobs, but still come up with imput 11 or 12, Output 11 or 12, full wet, no bass cut with the 98 Classic.  I'm stuck on the dreads, either mahogany or rosewood.  The NiteFly may end up being a whole different setting...

John Rooker
Rochester, NY

Moma Mia Bear

Offline jamrcat

Moma Mia Bear
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006, 12:56:48 PM »
quote:
So, like most things musical..the best thing to do is throw away the manual and turn knobs until it doesn't suck.
Exactly![:D]

jamrcat
Butte, Montana
Fly Coming Soon!
"A Fly for each hand!"

Moma Mia Bear

jwrooker

Moma Mia Bear
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2006, 01:29:42 PM »
quote:

Exactly![:D]

You know you did something wrong when all the lights on the gear go out, there's a wisp of smoke and then the lights in the house go out.  But, did it sound freakin' amazin' for five minutes!![:D]

John Rooker
Rochester, NY

Moma Mia Bear

Offline jamrcat

Moma Mia Bear
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2006, 04:18:48 PM »
quote:
You know you did something wrong when all the lights on the gear go out, there's a wisp of smoke and then the lights in the house go out. But, did it sound freakin' amazin' for five minutes!!
I'm sitting here in my computer room with 4 puter's and every power outlet in the room looks like four of them, has at least two power strips with a minimum of 7 plugs in each! Every available plug-in is filled! It's amazing we don't see more smoke! [:D]

jamrcat
Butte, Montana
Fly Coming Soon!
"A Fly for each hand!"

Moma Mia Bear

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
Moma Mia Bear
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2006, 05:37:36 PM »
Well just when you think you have the input and output numbers for the piezo tweaked, throw the mags back into the blend. Settings that didn't work for pure acoustic tone can be useful when blended with the mag.

One other thing that I noticed-- Pushing the bypass switch really does not equal the same tone as the amp w/o the MB.

I have a Fishman Platinum EQ that I used to control tone on my "refined" Fly. Now should I

1) Use it between Fly and MB

2) Use it between MB and Amp

3) Not use it

I am guessing (2) if I bother with it at all.

A few Flys in my soup

Moma Mia Bear

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
Moma Mia Bear
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2006, 06:46:57 PM »
quote:

quote:
You know you did something wrong when all the lights on the gear go out, there's a wisp of smoke and then the lights in the house go out. But, did it sound freakin' amazin' for five minutes!!
I'm sitting here in my computer room with 4 puter's and every power outlet in the room looks like four of them, has at least two power strips with a minimum of 7 plugs in each! Every available plug-in is filled! It's amazing we don't see more smoke! [:D]

jamrcat
Butte, Montana
Fly Coming Soon!

Hey Rickey,
4 Computers? Do you use them to make your living?
Bob

2000 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail  *  1999 Parker Fly Deluxe w/DiBurro Roland Mod Metallic Red  * 1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue (thanks, Darren!) •  Now on a signature reduction program! Just the Flies, maam. *  www.rtmadvertising.com
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

Moma Mia Bear

Offline jamrcat

Moma Mia Bear
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2006, 07:40:11 PM »
quote:
Hey Rickey,
4 Computers? Do you use them to make your living?
You could say so I guess! #1 is a graphic computer for my wife.  #2 Is set-up as a recording system that I use for occasional corporate work. #3 Is my office computer. #4 Is a laptop used between the church and home. #5 & 6 are laptops used for music performance. My wife and I both use these on stage primarily for scoring songs and lyrics for live performances. They work great as a poor mans promptor! [^]

jamrcat
Butte, Montana
Fly Coming Soon!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 06:10:09 PM by jamrcat »
"A Fly for each hand!"