Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [Listen] Binaural Recordings: Blow Your Mind  (Read 2265 times)

Offline TheGuitarGuy

• http://www.audiostreet.net/austinmacnutt
[Listen] Binaural Recordings: Blow Your Mind
« on: December 12, 2006, 05:05:11 PM »
[Must Listen To The Following Link Through Headphones Only, Not Speakers]

http://www.unoriginal.co.uk/Audio/Holophonic.mp3

There's an example of Binaural recording, and It totally blew my mind. I now want to buy a pair of In-Ear Binaural Microphones like these ones: http://www.minidisco.com/SoundPro-SP-TFB-2HT and just use them while walking through the park, or downtown, or in a shopping mall. It's creates such an amazing recording to listen to. Check it out people, really interesting stuff.

My Music

"Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." -- Jim Morrison
My Music

"Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." -- Jim Morrison

Offline loumt123

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 05:35:09 PM »
wow this is amazing. i get a good laugh....it's amusing how far technology has come. I'd like to hear this done with music for sure...I always dig music that has some cool effects or tells a story rather than just the same linear stuff I guess you could say

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 06:08:45 PM »
They have been doing that kind of recording for over 20 years. I remember this dummy head with microphones where the ears would be. They used that for direct to disc recordings before they invented Cd's.

[^]

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 06:12:56 PM »
Is that the same principle behind "surround sound"?

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams

Offline TheGuitarGuy

• http://www.audiostreet.net/austinmacnutt
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 06:36:20 PM »
no it's totally different than surround sound, and the technology has been around for years. Pearl Jam actually released an album called Binaural using this technique. I'm not much of a pearl jam fan, but it might be interesting to check out.

My Music

My Music

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 09:31:23 PM »
http://www.neumann.com/?lang=en&id=current_microphones&cid=ku100_description

This is Neumann's binaural head (we call him Fritz).

For a frugal-person's approximation, try two of these, clipped onto a pair of glasses, or if you want to expand the field, your shoulders:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2453582&cp=&origkw=miniature+microphone&kw=miniature+microphone&parentPage=search

These are a bit more expensive than what I bought at Radio Shack - $24 "Broadcast Quality" mics. Pretty amazing the quality. I really loved the sound they produced when clipping them to my shirt at my sholders and recording acoustic guitar. Pretty convincing binarual sound.

For in-ear headphones to listen to this stuff with, nothing beats Etymotic Research's ER-4Bs. Although, I would recommend the ER-4P's for everyday listening. Unless you are in a sound lab, you won't hear the difference, except for the fact that the P's are more efficient, and have a slightly pronounced low end. These are, by far, the best of the in-ear headphones (and that includes Shure, Ultrasone... all of em). I just used them to preview my new Christmas tracks on the jetblue flight in from New York to Rochester tonight. I am always blown away by the detail they reveal. You'll be tempted to want the ER-4S's, based on the customer feedback, but if you are primarily listening with a portable device - iPod, MP3 player, port CD, MD, etc, you'll find that without an extra amp, they aren't efficient enough to be driven properly by the portable device. That's why I recommend the P's (I bought the S's, and then had them side-grade me for $50 to the P's).

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er4.aspx

Bob

2000 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail  *  1999 Parker Fly Deluxe w/DiBurro Roland Mod Metallic Red  * 1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue (thanks, Darren!) •  Now on a signature reduction program! Just the Flies, maam. *  www.rtmadvertising.com
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 09:38:24 PM by uburoibob »
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 09:34:19 PM »
Huh, well in any case, that's pretty trippy how it sounds like it's going around your head!

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams

Offline WKG

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 07:47:22 AM »
That would be this guy...

quote:
Originally posted by 908ssp

They have been doing that kind of recording for over 20 years. I remember this dummy head with microphones where the ears would be. They used that for direct to disc recordings before they invented Cd's.

[^]

Alex

2005 Fly Mojo, Dusty black
2005 Fly Mojo, Japanese Armor (AKA Alien Purple Burst)

Offline DrJeff

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 12:22:44 PM »
OMG!! Is that Gort from "The Day the Earth Stood Still"??1997 Nitefly SA
Tech 21 Trademark 60
Crate CA125
Rgds,
Jeff

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 06:00:29 PM »
I played it for my dog. Poor thing is still going around in circles [:)]

Custom '03 Hardtail Artist ; Fly Deluxe 2000; Gibson ES137; 1974 K.Yari DY85; SchecterDisposable; Martin Backpacker/paddle combo;LarriveeParlor;VoxAD30VT;SWR California Blonde
A few Flys in my soup

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2006, 06:22:01 PM »
So, how do they do surround sound then? [:I]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2006, 11:21:22 PM »
Hey Paul,

It's all based on the fact that your ears are no more than two listening devices. Due to some complex caculations, you are able to perceive front, back, up, down and of course left and right. Surround doesn't HAVE to be any more than stereo headphones if they are done right. Binaural, particularly with Neumann's Fritz, uses the same principles your ear does - sound is reflected off the walls of the ear canal, as well as that intricate structure of cartilidge and tissue on the outside of your ear. Your brain perceives it as directional as a result of long-term conditioning. So, in theory, if a recording was made by placing a pair of tiny mics right where your eardrums are, a recording of your environment made using those mics would result in your ears hearing exactly what the mics heard - voila! surround sound! Since all ears are different, and all brains are conditioned only by the ears attached to the head that wears them, your listening experience may be different than someone elses'.

Think about the sound that's happening around you right now. Think about how much of its being picked up by each ear. How much is being reflected by hard surfaces around you and absorbed by soft surfaces. Think about the speed, frequency and amplitude of each of those direct and reflected sounds. Timing and phase also have a great deal to do with perceived direction of sound - and again - all though 2 access holes to your brain!

Bob

2000 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail  *  1999 Parker Fly Deluxe w/DiBurro Roland Mod Metallic Red  * 1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue (thanks, Darren!) •  Now on a signature reduction program! Just the Flies, maam. *  www.rtmadvertising.com
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2006, 06:50:50 AM »
Huh, interesting. All these years I've been into music and technical stuff, and I had never heard of binaural recordings!

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams