Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fly Natural  (Read 9673 times)

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
Fly Natural
« on: December 23, 2006, 09:56:35 AM »
I love a nice natural finish. But to me the Nite Fly finish (and wood) looks better than the Fly finish. I like the natural fly BUT its kind of too shiny. Looks like fake wood. (pergo floors). The Nitefly has a nice satin finish and a semi gloss finish but the Fly only comes in hi gloss- a thick poly coat.

Does that have something to do with the carbon exoskeleton?

Custom '03 Hardtail Artist ; Fly Deluxe 2000; Gibson ES137; 1974 K.Yari DY85; SchecterDisposable; Martin Backpacker/paddle combo;LarriveeParlor;VoxAD30VT;SWR California Blonde
A few Flys in my soup

Fly Natural

Offline simonlock

Fly Natural
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 10:31:13 AM »
There's no reason they couldn't mask off the front and do a matte finish coat. What about the back of the neck? How about gloss back/matte front? That WOOD be COOL! [:D] I agree with you on the new mahogany natural looking like pergo floors. I almost bought a natural Mojo but decided the grain looked like a sticker under clearcoat. A swamp ash Fly would look good in a matte finish. Or even a butternut[:p] I don't think I'd like a matte black one though, might look like one of those cheep goth knockoffs.

Good call Bill.

Simon
Vancouver,BC

2000 Parker Fly Supreme-T/Butterscotch
06 Nylon Fly(coming soon[8D]thanks Jamie!)
06 Parker Fly Mojo-T/Cherry
06 Parker Fly Classic-Dusty Black
99 Parker Fly Classic-Natural
99 Parker Fly Classic-T/Cherry
96 Parker Fly Standard-Emerald Green

Fly Natural

Offline jamrcat

Fly Natural
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 10:45:14 AM »
quote:
I love a nice natural finish.
This is a bandwagon I can jump on! [:p]

Parker Fly Classic w/SD Black Backs
Parker TR P-36 Modified w/SD's
Korg AX1500G, D-Tar Mama Bear
jamrcat
Butte, Montana
"A Fly for each hand!"

Fly Natural

Offline loumt123

Fly Natural
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2006, 10:58:31 AM »
I'm all for natural/matte finishes.

Fly Natural

Offline 908ssp

Fly Natural
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2006, 11:30:28 AM »
Well the old profit margin loves to hear you guys. Matte finishes are cheaper and in my opinion look it. [;)]

[^]

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Fly Natural

jwrooker

Fly Natural
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 11:45:58 AM »
I agree with Alex.  I like matte finishes because they don't show scratches, but I expect a nice glossy finish on a premium guitar.  

The NiteFly M is not a Matte finish, it's a nice oiled finish and I love that.

John
98 Fly Classic w/Gen 1's
98 Fly Classic w/Duncan rewinds
NiteFly M w/Duncans
Gibson ES-335 Light Burst

Fly Natural

Offline kwcabs

• http://www.kwcabs.com
Fly Natural
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2006, 12:10:19 PM »
Guys it is relatively easy to achieve any type of gloss, in fact High Gloss is the hardest to achieve.  After the finish has been applied it has to go through a rubbing out stage which is basically polishing with finer and finer grits of abrassive.  I you want satin you simply stop earlier with the polishing.  Occasionally companies do achieve a very high gloss off the gun, but they usually have to get rubbed out to some degree regardless.  The problem with a satin finish on guitars is simply that the deeper the gloss the deeper and richer the color and figure (if there is any) of the wood will come out.  It's not that they can't do it, it's just that gloss will typically make their product look better.  Some companies have noticed that there is a group however that does enjoy the flatter finishes and likewise there are limited products out there with them.  Anyway, just wanted to chime in, Happy Holidays!

Owner of KWCABS guitar speaker cabinets.  We specialize in making simply the best speaker cabinets out there, constructed out of top-quality hardwoods, standard lines as well as custom work.  WWW.KWCABS.COM

Check out my Parker Supreme here www.kwcabs.com/parker%20page.htm

Kurt Wyberanec
Owner of KWCABS guitar speaker cabinets.  We specialize in making simply the best speaker cabinets out there, constructed out of top-quality hardwoods, standard lines as well as custom work.  WWW.KWCABS.COM

Check out my Parker Supreme here www.kwcabs.com/parker%20page.htm

Fly Natural

Offline loumt123

Fly Natural
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2006, 12:24:49 PM »
I love the look of a shiny new guitar, but it's hard for me to keep it looking that way[:o)]. That's why I would get another matte finish on my next parker purchase. Matte black with gold plated hardware [:p]..mmmmm

Fly Natural

Offline jamrcat

Fly Natural
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2006, 12:28:56 PM »
I love the incredible wood finishes on Alembic guitars. I think if Parker had a higher end line of natural wood finishes (Supreme and Artist grade) there would be a market for them! IMHO [^]

Parker Fly Classic w/SD Black Backs
Parker TR P-36 Modified w/SD's
Korg AX1500G, D-Tar Mama Bear
jamrcat
Butte, Montana
"A Fly for each hand!"

Fly Natural

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
Fly Natural
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2006, 04:10:50 PM »
I am not talking about a matte finish. Maybe a satin? All I know is some of the natural Mojo's I've seen look like you are peering through an inch of plastic down onto a thin film of wood.

The Honey finish on the Artist and Supreme are not that way. That finish is beautiful. But somehow the finish looks fake over the mahogony though. In my opinion it does not bring out the wood grain but hides it instead. Yet the Nite fly finish seems to bring out the grain more.

Custom '03 Hardtail Artist ; Fly Deluxe 2000; Gibson ES137; 1974 K.Yari DY85; SchecterDisposable; Martin Backpacker/paddle combo;LarriveeParlor;VoxAD30VT;SWR California Blonde
A few Flys in my soup

Fly Natural

Offline 908ssp

Fly Natural
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2006, 04:26:25 PM »
There is a product called Micro Mesh that is a pad with a very fine abrasive securely glued to the surface. I bought a set from somebody on eBay it came in 2x2 squares and cost around $10 for the set. The set contained nine pads one pad each from 1500 grit to 12000 grit. I have used this to polish the back of my Parkers neck. Start with the 1500 grit and it is pretty matte and very smooth. Each step it gets shinier but it stays very smooth and doesn't get that sticky feel like they do from the factory. After you do the 12000 grit it is very shinny not quite up to factory standards but smoother just not as shinny. You can polish it and get it back to the shinny original finish if you want. It takes a little time but is pretty easy to do. Oh yea you do it wet dipping the pad in a dish of water. Wipe the neck down with a clean rag between grits. If you go over the fret ends they come out really smoothed over and feel like a million bucks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-9-pcs-3-X-4-Micro-Mesh-pads_W0QQitemZ6539709434QQihZ012QQcategoryZ14001QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

[^]

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Fly Natural

Offline rt0412

Fly Natural
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2006, 02:00:01 AM »
Most expensive, classy furnitures don't have glossy finish... they usually have satin finish. Somehow to me, glossy looks cheap, (like a heavily painted woman) no matter how expensive the item is.

I really don't like guitars with glossy finish, also, it smudges easily (looks yucky). Unfortunately, most guitars come with glossy finish, like the NiteFly-SA and the Fly Mojo. Pity, because swamp ash, mahogany or flame maple looks better and classier with natural satin finish. [:(][V]

Rolly
« Last Edit: December 25, 2006, 02:23:43 AM by rt0412 »

Fly Natural

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
Fly Natural
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2006, 09:04:24 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by rt0412

Most expensive, classy furnitures don't have glossy finish... they usually have satin finish. Somehow to me, glossy looks cheap, (like a heavily painted woman) no matter how expensive the item is.

I really don't like guitars with glossy finish, also, it smudges easily (looks yucky). Unfortunately, most guitars come with glossy finish, like the NiteFly-SA and the Fly Mojo. Pity, because swamp ash, mahogany or flame maple looks better and classier with natural satin finish. [:(][V]

Rolly

I don't know much bout nutin, But I'm with you on that Rolly. [8)]

A few Flys in my soup

Fly Natural

Offline simonlock

Fly Natural
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2006, 09:15:55 AM »
I like painted women. Especially the ones that you see at Hugh Hefner's big parties[:p]

Simon
Vancouver,BC

2000 Parker Fly Supreme-T/Butterscotch
06 Nylon Fly(coming soon[8D]thanks Jamie!)
06 Parker Fly Mojo-T/Cherry
06 Parker Fly Classic-Dusty Black
99 Parker Fly Classic-Natural
99 Parker Fly Classic-T/Cherry
96 Parker Fly Standard-Emerald Green

Fly Natural

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
Fly Natural
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2006, 09:23:36 AM »
Here is more my liking. I especially like the mahog. headstock.
Don't ask questions cause I can't answer them.

I hope you can enlarge the image. I can't figure it out. Anyway, its a satin type finish. Very classy IMMHO

[:p] [:p] [:p] [:p]  [:p] [:p] [:p] [:p]

« Last Edit: December 25, 2006, 09:26:06 AM by Bill »
A few Flys in my soup