Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fly Natural  (Read 9487 times)

Offline simonlock

Fly Natural
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2006, 09:34:24 AM »
That is sweeeet

Simon
Vancouver,BC

2000 Parker Fly Supreme-T/Butterscotch
06 Nylon Fly(coming soon[8D]thanks Jamie!)
06 Parker Fly Mojo-T/Cherry
06 Parker Fly Classic-Dusty Black
99 Parker Fly Classic-Natural
99 Parker Fly Classic-T/Cherry
96 Parker Fly Standard-Emerald Green

Fly Natural

Offline loumt123

Fly Natural
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2006, 09:46:56 AM »
That's gorgeous. Where did you find it?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2006, 09:47:15 AM by loumt123 »

Fly Natural

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
Fly Natural
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2006, 09:55:51 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by cmpkllyrslf96

That's gorgeous. Where did you find it?

Its not mine...but I haven't quite given up yet. [8)]

Custom '03 Hardtail Artist ; Fly Deluxe 2000; Gibson ES137; 1974 K.Yari DY85; SchecterDisposable; Martin Backpacker/paddle combo;LarriveeParlor;VoxAD30VT;SWR California Blonde
A few Flys in my soup

Fly Natural

Offline simonlock

Fly Natural
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2006, 09:56:30 AM »

Simon
Vancouver,BC

« Last Edit: December 25, 2006, 10:03:05 AM by simonlock »

Fly Natural

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
Fly Natural
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2006, 10:01:33 AM »
Thanks Simon. Thats what I'm talking about [:p]

Custom '03 Hardtail Artist ; Fly Deluxe 2000; Gibson ES137; 1974 K.Yari DY85; SchecterDisposable; Martin Backpacker/paddle combo;LarriveeParlor;VoxAD30VT;SWR California Blonde
A few Flys in my soup

Fly Natural

Offline simonlock

Fly Natural
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2006, 10:04:59 AM »
So WHY haven't we seen more like this?! I knew it would look awesome. That headstock vaneer looks killer like that. They should've put the Parker logo in Black over that though.

Simon
Vancouver,BC

Fly Natural

Offline rt0412

Fly Natural
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2006, 11:10:55 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by simonlock

I like painted women. Especially the ones that you see at Hugh Hefner's big parties[:p]

Simon
Vancouver,BC

Been looking at Guitar World's 2007 Buyer's Guide, eh?

http://www.guitarworld.com/bgpreview.html

Fly Natural

Offline 908ssp

Fly Natural
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2006, 11:14:21 AM »
That was on eBay a while ago. It is Classic if I remember correctly. It doesn't appear to have tone control on the piezos which is strange. One of the mag volumes was deleted. 1st generation Dimarzios. I think they said it was a custom Classic leading to the Mojo but I think that was creative ad copy.

The head stock veneer would be an easy mod for you do-it yourselfers. A little veneer and some contact cement.

[^]

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Fly Natural

Offline rt0412

Fly Natural
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2006, 11:17:35 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Bill

Here is more my liking. I especially like the mahog. headstock.
Don't ask questions cause I can't answer them.

I hope you can enlarge the image. I can't figure it out. Anyway, its a satin type finish. Very classy IMMHO

[:p] [:p] [:p] [:p]  [:p] [:p] [:p] [:p]

[:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p] Exactly what I have in mind! Real Classy!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2006, 11:30:00 AM by rt0412 »

Fly Natural

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
Fly Natural
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2006, 11:26:41 AM »
Hey Alex, would a finish that light have to be kept oiled or something?

A few Flys in my soup

Fly Natural

Offline jamrcat

Fly Natural
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2006, 11:45:16 AM »
I'm in love! [:p] With the Parker!!! [:D] I wonder if this is a custom job, no headstock decal. Are there any pictures of the back... of the Parker? [:D]

Parker Fly Classic w/SD Black Backs
Parker TR P-36 Modified w/SD's
Korg AX1500G, D-Tar Mama Bear
jamrcat
Butte, Montana
"A Fly for each hand!"

Fly Natural

Offline 908ssp

Fly Natural
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2006, 12:46:19 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Bill

Hey Alex, would a finish that light have to be kept oiled or something?

Depends on just what the finish is? If it is a thin coat of semi gloss poly then no you don't have to do anything. If it is Tung Oil then yes once in a while it should be freshened up. Personally I wouldn't want an oil finish on a guitar. A thin lacquer finish would be nice too. But I just don't believe all the hype about the thin finishes sounding better. Maybe stupid thick Urethane isn't the way to go but a gloss finished Parker is nowhere near that thick. I just know that all the companies that have jumped on this flat finish are laughing all the way to the bank.

[^]

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Fly Natural

Offline rt0412

Fly Natural
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2006, 04:37:33 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by 908ssp

I just know that all the companies that have jumped on this flat finish are laughing all the way to the bank.
[^]
Alex

So, I have to buy a guitar with a glossy finish (that I don't like) instead of a satin finish (that I like) just so all those companies won't be able to laugh their way to the bank? I don't get it... [:I] and when was the satin finish a bandwagon thing to jump into? Last time I look almost all the guitars that are being sold are painted like cars, glossy. [;)] Actually, the glossy finish has been the bandwagon thing all have jumped into since Leo Fender started to paint guitars like cars... from the fifties to the present and has shown no sign of slowing down. [:D]

I think we're confusing different issues here. Satin finish doesn't have any connection to thin finish. [;)] It's got something more to do with looks which some people like me prefer.

And this thing about thin finish being beneficial to the instrument tone is not a recent issue either and can hardly be called a bandwagon thing to jump into. It's been going on since the sixties... a very, very slow bandwagon to jump into. [|)][xx(] Besides, a thin finish could still be glossy.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2006, 04:48:16 PM by rt0412 »

Fly Natural

Offline kwcabs

• http://www.kwcabs.com
Fly Natural
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2006, 01:52:57 AM »
A couple of quick notes, 908, Micormesh is an excellent product I use it a lot in my work, and is one of the best abrassive products out there.  BTW, you might not be spending enough time on some of the grits, because you should be able to achieve the same super high gloss look that the guitar comes with.  It is very tedious and sometimes difficult to use the hand pads, I use professional grades of it that comes in sizes for machines, but nonetheless this is the stuff orginally created to polish airplane windows!  It is very solid.  Instead of dipping each pad in water when using it try misting it on the surface and rubbing the pad on it spreading the water evenly and also you should add a tiny bit of detergent to the water to help reduce clogging.  
  Secondly, RT, we had a thread going a while back about furniture style finishes, I'm sure you could search for it, if you haven't already been on it.  Your comment is both true and untrue at the same time.  The type of finish, glossy, semi, satin, flat what have you has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of an item whether it be furniture or a guitar.  In fact, a huge amount of the most expensive pieces are high gloss, and I'm not talking 2k or 3k tables, think 50k desks and the like.  It is actually harder to produce a glossy finish, there is a lot more work in the rubbing out stage.  A lot of industrial furniture makes have some very expensive ways of doing gloss where they actually melt on finish which is interesting, but has tremendous overhead.  They, in my opinion, do not yield a "high end" look only because it is not truly a piece of crafted work.  The leading factor in finish selection for furniture is a two fold combination of style and wear.  Traditional syles, think old looking Americana furniture and English styles which are very popular have always been traditionally satin finish and that is why virtually all products of that style receive that type of finish, the second consideration being wear, is easy to realize as well, especially in lieu of our experience with glossy guitars and pick marks.  Scratches are more easily seen on higher gloss finishes, so a surface such as a dining table will often recieve satin or less finishes because they are high wear areas and they show scratches more easily.  The opposite can be said for most high end contemporary furniture where gloss is the rave and very difficult to achieve.  This started primarily in America and Europe in the 20's forward with the Art Deco movement.  However, it actually started thousands of years before that in China.  The Chinese were the first (to my knowledge) people to really bring furniture, by modern standards, to an artform using wood, and in the world of finish none is more well known than their use of laquer.  They would have pieces with literally 200 coats of laquer polished intensively to the super high glosses we are familar with today but with abrassives that were no where near what they are today.  Traditional Chinese laquered furniture sells for tremendous money.  Even though some of you may disagree there is no question that high gloss brings out figure, grain, and color more than a satin finish will, however, there are some woods that will look better with Satin finishes.  It is not to say that the Satin brings out these elements more, it does not, but typically straight open grained woods that do not have a lot of figure or striking grain patterns will look nicer to the eye with a Satin finish.  Satin brings out a sense of warmth and touchability and that is most often associated with these types of wood, of which Mahogany is certainly one.  However, get a nice piece of crotch flamed mahogany and you'll be enjoying a gloss more most of the time.  Ultimatly it all comes down to personal preference, and it would be nice if there were more options available, for more people would be happy.  All I can say is this, just about any decent woodworker should be able to take your high gloss guitar and make it Satin, and most likely for a fee that will be half as much as what it would cost extra to have ordered it that way from the factory.  The most important thing that I see from this thread though is very encouraging and that is that there are a lot of guitarists who really feel connected and appreciate the wood that goes into making their playing shine.  Best of luck, Happy Holidays to all!

Owner of KWCABS guitar speaker cabinets.  We specialize in making simply the best speaker cabinets out there, constructed out of top-quality hardwoods, standard lines as well as custom work.  WWW.KWCABS.COM

Check out my Parker Supreme here www.kwcabs.com/parker%20page.htm
« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 01:58:16 AM by kwcabs »

Kurt Wyberanec
Owner of KWCABS guitar speaker cabinets.  We specialize in making simply the best speaker cabinets out there, constructed out of top-quality hardwoods, standard lines as well as custom work.  WWW.KWCABS.COM

Check out my Parker Supreme here www.kwcabs.com/parker%20page.htm

Fly Natural

Offline rt0412

Fly Natural
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2006, 02:51:27 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by kwcabs

RT, we had a thread going a while back about furniture style finishes, I'm sure you could search for it, if you haven't already been on it.  Your comment is both true and untrue at the same time.  The type of finish, glossy, semi, satin, flat what have you has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of an item whether it be furniture or a guitar. Agreed. It's just my observation that most attractive and expensive furnitures that I see in the stores are satin finished... and I do acknowledged that there are glossy furnitures that are expensive but looks cheap to me... my bias towards glossy finish does not make the item actually cheap, it just look like it to me.

In fact, a huge amount of the most expensive pieces are high gloss, and I'm not talking 2k or 3k tables, think 50k desks and the like. Do anybody really use those 50K desks and tables or are they just for show? I won't be able to bear the tiniest amount of smudge on such a fine furniture... it would probably kill me trying to keep them spotless all the time. [;)]

Rolly
« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 02:56:19 AM by rt0412 »