Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fly Natural  (Read 9410 times)

Offline kwcabs

• http://www.kwcabs.com
Fly Natural
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2006, 03:09:23 AM »
Hey RT, see you're up late like me lol.  Just wanted to say, I wasn't trying to sound defensive or anything like that, not that you took it that way or anything, just wanted to offer a little more info on the subject to others.  But you're a perfect case in point that ultimately it all comes down to personal preference.  I personally like all sorts of finishes and styles, which is why I have found it very easy to adapt to widely varied orders.  There are plenty of gloss finishes out there are factory type furniture, things you might see at large furniture outlets, usually selling around 1500 for a dining table, that in my opinion usually look cheap, and it's very hard to put my finger on why.  I don't feel that it is the gloss aspect, cause heck go down in my shop and there are a bunch of speaker cabinets that are super high gloss but those like incredible.  It has something to do perhaps with the type of finish they are using, the style and veneers, there is something that does make it look less than high end, it might be a very nice table, but something doesn't sit well with me.  On the other hand in the same stores I see plenty of satin finshed mahogany veneer tables as well and they too just look shabby.  I'm not trying to be a wood snob, and I would bet that most people don't have as critical an eye as I would looking at piece like that, but I can just look very quickly and usually be able to say, that was made in a factory...or that's a fine piece.  Usually it's the former, because while there are a lot of fine craftsman out there, most of them are just not large enough to be seen that often, and I bet they prefer it that way lol.  I love it all though, today for instance I gave out two very nice desk clocks as Xmas gifts to friends, and I'll probably throw some pics on my website of them because they were super examples.  One was a Bubinga and Flammed Maple with Tulipwood inlay and it had a high gloss finish (not mirror, but high) and the other was figured maple but the face was Pau Ferro which falls in the perfect example category, a fairly straight somewhat open grained dark wood and it looked absolutely perfect just polished up by hand with a wax finish and nothing more, just perfect silky smooth satin finish....everything can look great but there is a huge difference between a gloss finish for the sake of shine and a gloss finish on an object that will look best with a gloss finish.  Happy Holidays again.

Owner of KWCABS guitar speaker cabinets.  We specialize in making simply the best speaker cabinets out there, constructed out of top-quality hardwoods, standard lines as well as custom work.  WWW.KWCABS.COM

Check out my Parker Supreme here www.kwcabs.com/parker%20page.htm

Kurt Wyberanec
Owner of KWCABS guitar speaker cabinets.  We specialize in making simply the best speaker cabinets out there, constructed out of top-quality hardwoods, standard lines as well as custom work.  WWW.KWCABS.COM

Check out my Parker Supreme here www.kwcabs.com/parker%20page.htm

Fly Natural

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
Fly Natural
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2006, 09:52:44 AM »
Great info/input from everyone. Does make since. What a great forum. [:)]

Custom '03 Hardtail Artist ; Fly Deluxe 2000; Gibson ES137; 1974 K.Yari DY85; SchecterDisposable; Martin Backpacker/paddle combo;LarriveeParlor;VoxAD30VT;SWR California Blonde
A few Flys in my soup

Fly Natural

Offline Lwinn171

Fly Natural
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2006, 06:35:38 PM »
My take: Gloss can look great, or cheap, depending on many factors. Satin too. Some woods look better one way or the other (to me). For instance, I love walnut. But it can look terrible with too glossy a finish. In fact, most of the darker woods need to be done very well to look good with high gloss. (Grain filling, wet sanding between coats, HIGH quality finish, and lots of hand work and buffing out). A softer look can be more forgiving, but is less protective in the end. A hard, glossy finish which has been polished and waxed (if appropriate for the finish) is the most protective because it deflects blows which can cause damage. This is why cars are glossy and clear coated etc... If you dulled down your cars finish it would take years off the life of your paint job. I do feel that the main function of the finish is to protect the wood from humidity (aesthetics aside), and really glossy does that better by being harder to compromise. This factor is more important in something as precise as an instrument, and less so in a piece of furniture, which doesn't go out of tune if the wood swells a bit. In furniture you design the piece to allow for this kind of expansion and contraction. That level of design and forethought allows you to take this factor, and work around it.

Lawrence Winn
You can hear me playing and see my woodworks at:
http://www.myspace.com/132917993
"42.7 percent of all statistics are made-up on the spot."
2001 Fly Classic, Green
Larivee Parlour Guitar
Several inferior others
Mesa Boogie MK IV
Marshall 2-12 cab
« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 06:37:24 PM by Lwinn171 »

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic, 98 Deluxe