Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Thinking about switching gears a little  (Read 1363 times)

Offline thor von clemson

Thinking about switching gears a little
« on: January 16, 2007, 12:16:53 PM »
*edit, change the title and some of the thread content, please have a look..

I have always had a thing for Jazz and stuff like the California Guitar Trio, Divided Sky, etc. Progressive but not super heavy. Technical, melodic, and wonderful. I started listening to Jazz a few years ago and have really gotten into it. I am more into the mellow progressive stuff. I have a lot of ideas in my head for cool licks, chord voicings, etc, etc, I can play the bass lines with a separate bass for recording, and I know someone who can record drums and record stuff in general.

Its been exceptionally difficult to find anyone around here who wants to play Progressive Metal and I feel looking for band members has taken a lot of time away from my family (keep in mind I am 23 and got married 7 months ago plus we just bought a puppy). It has also put a lot of stress on me. Maybe I was looking for the wrong thing?

I will need to kind of start from scratch as far as learning scales, chords, etc goes but I feel that playing the music I have played for the last few years has helped a lot with my technique. To my understanding, good technique is just as important as knowing what to play. I know some basic stuff and I can lay out what I have going through my head pretty easily but it would help me a lot to learn some technical scales, chords, etc, etc.. Plus it would give me another excuse to get another Parker.

I would not have to worry about 4-5 other guys not commiting themselves to practice, learning the songs, and all that. I can commit as much or little time needed, learn the songs at my own pace, and really have fun with it.

I am looking for a book/dvd, dvd being the most important as I am a visual learner. Does anyone have anything in mind for a begining-intermediate jazz guitarist. Either that or something with an approach to unique chord structures, scale consctruction, and the like...

I'm really into some of the following artists. I realize there is a wide variety but anything will help.

Divided Sky, California Guitar Trio, Guthrie Govan, Aletheian, Cynic, Death (not necessarily the tempo of the music but the scales they use. I know Chuck from Death used the Harmonic Minor scale a lot), Aghora and anything that sounds catchy or unique.

I will add that I would prefer any instructional vid that focuses on using a pick rather than finger picking for now.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 02:01:22 PM by thor von clemson »
Starky learned THANK YOU!

Offline bno

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 12:39:26 PM »
I don't have it but have seen footage from it and it appears to be a very complete dissertation on one musician's take on jazz improvisation -

John McLaughlin's "This is How I Do It" DVD series - it ain't cheap.

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=14486
'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.

Offline jazzrat

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 01:00:00 PM »
I learn visually also. I really like the Joe Pass videos. He talks about chord substitution and moving voices in the chord progression. It's challenging but not so much that it is discouraging.

'98 Emerald Classic, '05 Eric Johnson Strat, '04 Epiphone Emperor Regent, MIM jazz bass, Takemine '95 SC-132EC
Fly Classic, Ibanez AS-193, Eric Johnson Strat, Eastman AR403-CE, Cordoba Fusion 12 Maple, Fretless Jazz Bass

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 01:14:19 PM »
If you're interested in jazz fusion at all, I would recommend Scott Henderson's improvisation video (by REH Videos). The Allan Holdsworth instructional video can also give you some interesting ideas to work with.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams

Offline loumt123

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 01:58:56 PM »
www.jazzguitar.be

great place to begin.

I also believe mel bay has an amazing series out called "mastering the guitar". I think there are books A-C. I got one for my brother for christmas. It slowly but surely builds up your sight reading abilities...almost a must for jazz. They are also offered as spiral bound (which all music books should be grrr[}:)])

Offline Jason Davis

• http://www.JasonDavisMusic.com
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 02:09:06 PM »
Lou,
No joke on the spiral bound!  8^)

What ended up happening with your Berkeley audition?  You may have posted the results elsewhere, but I don't remember reading about it.

jd

a Parker Guitars, Emerald Guitars, Randall Amplifiers, & Mojo Strings Artist.

www.JasonDavisMusic.com
www.myspace.com/JasonDavisMusic
www.myspace.com/JasonDavisBand

custom Jason Davis Fly (see-thru green...coming soon) - Nitefly Mojo Flame (cherry burst) - Fly Deluxe (antique gold) - modified PM-20 (sunburst) - modified PM-20G prototype (gold top)

Offline BrainWorm

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 02:21:15 AM »
Give me those spiral bound music books too. Nothing like regular music books jumping off the music stand to make me appreciate spiral bound. Spiral will even lay flat on a table, what a concept.

"Brainverms come crawling and creeping and eat you when you're sleeping."
"Brainverms come crawling and creeping and eat you when you're sleeping."