Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mysterious Buzzing Ampeg  (Read 1815 times)

Offline Ron Vermillion

Mysterious Buzzing Ampeg
« on: January 02, 2007, 01:02:09 PM »
Just an interesting tidbit.

Almost every town of any size has the local music store. Not the Guitar Center, but the old guy that has been around since dirt was invented and has stacks and stacks of old amps, instruments, balogna sandwiches etc. So we have one in our town. I like the owner and go in there often to visit or particuarly when I have a bad case of GAS and want to trade six or seven of what I have for one of something he has. (You know, buy high sell low - trade ridiculously)

So I'm amp shopping and go in and in the back of one of the rooms, under everything else is an Ampeg Reverb Rocket. I have always liked Ampeg amps for some reason and here is this 50Watt tube amp with 2 12" and it looks almost like new. So we do a trade and I take it home, only to find out that with any bass notes it buzzes a lot. One of those annoying buzzes that you can't quite determine if it is from the amp, a too low string on the guitar, or the stuff sitting on a shelf in the next room. Try as I could I couldn't determine the source of the buzz. I took the amp apart and tightened every thing up to no avail.

So we take it back and try it in the store and it doen't buzz. Take it back home and it does buzz. About this time I noticed that the leather handle had enough wear under it that some of the thread that sews it together was beginning to wear a little too much to look new and I ordered a new handle. ( So much for it being unused).

The new handle gets there and I unscrew the bolts holding the handle on and notice that on one of them there is nothing to unscrew, the bolt just comes out of the top of the case.

After this I decided to open it up and tighten all the screw again,  fastneers bolts etc on the whole rig and took the back off only to find that one of the tee nuts that had held one of the bolts on the handle was missing.

About an hour of searching around with a flashlight and a small shop mirror revealed the tee nut had come off the handle, fallen straight down through an opening in the speaker and attached itsself to the inside of the the back of the speaker by magnetic force.

Once removed and returned to it's rightful place holding one of the bolt handles in place, the buzz was gone and I was rewarded with a fairly new looking Ampeg 2 x 12" tube amp that sounds great once again.

Watch for falling nuts!

Ron  

Ron Vermillion
ronvermillion@comcast.net
Ron Vermillion
ronvermillion2176@gmail.com
2007 Fly Mojo Natural Mahogany

Mysterious Buzzing Ampeg

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
Mysterious Buzzing Ampeg
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 01:16:56 PM »
Wow, good catch. Stuff like that can drive you nutz! [8D]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams

Mysterious Buzzing Ampeg

Offline jamrcat

Mysterious Buzzing Ampeg
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 01:27:43 PM »
That was a real nut case! [:D]

01' Parker Fly Classic w/SD Black Backs
05' Parker TR P-36 Modified w/SD's
Korg AX1500G, D-Tar Mama Bear

jamrcat
Butte, Montana
"A Fly for each hand!"

Mysterious Buzzing Ampeg

Offline DrJeff

Mysterious Buzzing Ampeg
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 06:49:15 PM »
Ron, I also have a '61 reissue Reverberocket -- 50W, single 12", with the blue diamond Tolex. It is a sweetheart. I don't gig with it anymore, but I'll never get rid of it. Too many lessons learned the hard way. Hang on to it.1997 Nitefly SA
2000 Deluxe (soon)
Tech 21 Trademark 60
Crate CA125
Rgds,
Jeff

Mysterious Buzzing Ampeg

Offline jazzrat

Mysterious Buzzing Ampeg
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 09:28:08 PM »
Had to choose between a Reverberocket and a Fender HRDx a few years ago.
The Fender has been fine but the Ampeg would have been a better choice.
Glad you figured out the problem.

'98 Emerald Classic, '05 Eric Johnson Strat, '04 Epiphone Emperor Regent, MIM jazz bass, Takemine '95 SC-132EC
Fly Classic, Ibanez AS-193, Eric Johnson Strat, Eastman AR403-CE, Cordoba Fusion 12 Maple, Fretless Jazz Bass

Mysterious Buzzing Ampeg

Offline Musicman1

Mysterious Buzzing Ampeg
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 09:28:51 PM »
That's plain nutty!!

Musicman1

2005 Parker P44 in trans red
2002 EB MM Axis Sport  in trans gold
1984 Custom made boutique Strat
1977 Guild D40 NT
1976 Gibson 335 Custom in sunburst
A variety of amps and effects

Musicman1's current arsenal includes:
2007 EB MM JP6, Mystic Dream, piezo, matching headstock, dot inlays
2005 Parker P44, trans red
2002 EB MM Axis Sport  trans gold, rosewood fingerboard, hum/hum, vintage trem, matching headstock
1984 Custom made boutique Strat
1977 Guild D40 NT
1976 Gibson 335 Custom in sunburst
A variety of "tube free", absolutely non-boutique and completely replaceable amps and effects