Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: NAMM 2007  (Read 6431 times)

Offline thor von clemson

NAMM 2007
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2007, 11:01:05 AM »
Thanks for the pics. I was wanting to see what Parker was going to bring to NAMM this year.

Forgive the dumb question, but could people actually pickup and play these guitars?
Starky learned THANK YOU!

NAMM 2007

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
NAMM 2007
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2007, 11:32:56 AM »
As a wrap up, here are my impressions of Parker at NAMM.

There were a few people in the Parker section of the booth, but far more were interested in the Randall and Eden amps, as well as the Washburn guitars. There seemed to be virtually noone interested in the Parker acoustics or the jazz. Larry Coryell was on hand to demonstrate the jazz model, and gathered some people to watch him demo.

I think in general, the acoustics and jazzes would have been better served at a lower price as a part of the Washburn line proper. They simply don't say "Parker" at all, aside from their quirky shapes. I certainly don't think of them as Parkers. And they are, in my opinion, outrageously priced for their quality. Imports can be great guitars, but these are only OK guitars. I played a jazz and found it to feel a lot like the Epiphones in the $700 price range. They may well be made of solid woods or whatever, but they just haven't got it. The new bass is cool to look at - I didn't play it. The Cedar Flys are gorgeous, but aren't string-balanced, so they sound a bit out of whack. I didn't really have a desire to play the others. I am told that the Snakeskin burst was built for Harvey Mandel, who supplied the artwork for it. Not sure whether he got one, and they decided to build another or make it a production model. There's nothing at the Parker booth to indicate any of this. No info.

So it's easy to just sort of stroll by the booth and not get hooked on anything unless you are a Parker nut (as are we all...)

In all fairness, with John being gone only months before NAMM, I am not sure there was anyone there to take his place. So they may be in that position of needing people.

Bob

1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail  â€¢ 1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue (thanks, Darren!) •  1998 Fly Classic in Cherry Red with DiBurro Roland Mod • Now on a signature reduction program! Just the Flies, maam. •  www.rtmadvertising.com
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

NAMM 2007

Offline Jason Davis

• http://www.JasonDavisMusic.com
NAMM 2007
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2007, 12:11:47 PM »
Thanks for the wrap-up, Bob.  I'm sure I speak for all of us that could not attend that we appreciate your willingness to post pics and your honest assessment of the show.

I will say that the green quilted Fly that hung at the top of one of the pictures does look somewhat familiar...hmmm....

a Parker Guitars, Emerald Guitars, Randall Amplifiers, & Mojo Strings Artist.

www.JasonDavisMusic.com
www.myspace.com/JasonDavisMusic
www.myspace.com/JasonDavisBand

custom Jason Davis Fly (see-thru green...coming soon) - Nitefly Mojo Flame (cherry burst) - Fly Deluxe (antique gold) - modified PM-20 (sunburst) - modified PM-20G prototype (gold top)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 12:12:16 PM by Jason Davis »

NAMM 2007

Offline titanium667

• Find me on Facebook
NAMM 2007
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2007, 12:43:37 PM »
Hey Bob, did you get to try out the Jazz model?
Here's a pic from Eric McKenna at Boogie Street. (in my neighborhood)

1999 Parker Fly Jazz

www.myspace.com/humankindness ¥ www.myspace.com/kidsafterdark
On the verge of Superstardom, for over 35years!

NAMM 2007

Offline loumt123

NAMM 2007
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2007, 04:47:27 PM »
bold move on ibanez's part for that 8 string. that's a first.

NAMM 2007

Offline Lightspeeder

• http://www.germanschauss.com
NAMM 2007
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2007, 06:30:32 PM »
Hi All,

I just got back from the NAMM show. I was there since Thursday. Parker had some really cool custom shop paint jobs on display. Otherwise, lot's of new toys and cool new ideas. I had a good time seeing old friends again. I hung out with Dann Glenn, Dave Martone, George Lynch, Rusty Cooley, Jeff Loomis, Chris Impelliterie, Rudolf Schenker, Michael Angelo and tons of other great and wonderful musicians. I also was lucky enough to share an escalator ride with the one and only "Yngwie Malmsteen" :)

Anyways, unfortunately, there was no US Music Corp stage for demoing and performances at NAMM this year, but I'll be playing again at the Frankfurt Musik Messe, so come on down!

Later,

German
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 07:13:39 PM by Lightspeeder »

NAMM 2007

Offline simonlock

NAMM 2007
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2007, 06:57:04 PM »
Even though I wasn't going to attend the NAMM event doesn't lessen my disappointment that German and Martone weren't asked to play. The Martone show was unfortunately cancelled due to Daniel Adair's injury but that wasn't in anyone's plans. I really pull for all the guitarists that I aspire to and to see these performances cut really is a cut to myself. Parker had better watch how much they invest in their artists if they want to keep them. I realise that the product is enough to keep most on board but I see endorsements as a two way street. Getting the opportunity to perform an instrumental show at NAMM for musicians is an important market opportunity. Dave and German have inspired literally thousands of guitarists around the world. If it weren't for Dave I wouldn't have owned 11 or so Parkers. Next year I hope to see them celebrated.

Simon
Vancouver,BC

'00 Parker Fly Supreme-Butterscotch
'06 Parker Nylon Fly(thanks Jamie!)
'99 Parker Fly Artist w/Ken Parker signature
'06 Parker Fly Mojo-T/Cherry
'06 Parker Fly Classic-Dusty Black
'99 Parker Fly Classic-Natural
'99 Parker Fly Classic-T/Cherry
'96 Parker Fly Standard-Emerald Green

NAMM 2007

Offline uburoibob

NAMM 2007
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2007, 07:11:47 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by titanium667

Hey Bob, did you get to try out the Jazz model?

I did, and my impressions are in the wrap up above. With Eastman strings a few yards away, it was easy to compare and contrast the Parker jazz model with theirs. To me, the Parker didn't really come close. Eastman, who makes solid wood archtop guitars by hand in China makes a really great guitar for less than half the money Parker wants. To me, Parker's were a bit more in line with what I've played from Epiphone - the Joe Pass or Emperor guitars that are in the $700 to $1000 range. I am an archtop owner (MANY great guitars), and know what makes a good jazz guitar. I just didn't see it in the Parker. If it were my money, I'd get a Sadowsky Jim Hall model for the same price as a Parker, or two Eastmans.

I really wish Parker would invest their time, money and energy into the Fly. Last year, with the Belew model, it was a giant step toward that. This year, not much in that direction. The Koa is very pretty (and HEAVY) but the snake and the talons don't really do much for me.

Bob

1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail  â€¢ 1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue (thanks, Darren!) •  1998 Fly Classic in Cherry Red with DiBurro Roland Mod • Now on a signature reduction program! Just the Flies, maam. •  www.rtmadvertising.com
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

NAMM 2007

Offline rusty

NAMM 2007
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2007, 07:40:33 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Musicman1

Parker will HAVE to start manufacturing the majority of their gtrs overseas.  There's really no reason why a Fly or Nitefly could not be produced elsewhere.

This could be a really baaad idea...some companies that have outsourced their proprietary designs/processes overseas find themselves competing with perfect, dirt-cheap copies of their products.  Sometimes the design is stolen outright, sometimes the product line will run a stealth "night shift" to make products the same as the day shift product but sold out the back door under another name.

If you teach your outsourcing partners how to make a carbon-reinforced state-of-the-art guitar, you won't have a lot of leverage if your partner decides to go their own way using your design.  Legal remedies are weak or non-existent...there wouldn't be any good way to put that genie back in the bottle.

Russ
[;)] proud owner of a '05 Mojo SC, natural mahogany

NAMM 2007

Offline uburoibob

NAMM 2007
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2007, 08:09:08 PM »
I agree that off-shoring the bulk of their guitars is a bad idea. Speaking for America, we are hooked on cheap goods coming from other countries. Right now, we have been running on selling real estate to each other. Eventually, we will find ourselves building houses on flatbeds of $19 DVD players. But I digress. Good stuff should have a premium and be worth saving for. There are a HUGE number of cheap guitars that play well that are not brand names available right now. The NAMM show was loaded with companies that are hoping to get a break here. And the same basic stuff is marked up hundreds of times and has a brand slapped on it, making Exxon-type profits for domestic companies. Granted, they are spending a fortune for brand awareness, but they are still HUGELY profitable.

OK, nevermind. Just... I agree... don't outsource us until there is no more to outsource.

Bob

« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 08:10:13 PM by uburoibob »

NAMM 2007

Offline jamrcat

NAMM 2007
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2007, 10:23:53 PM »
Great point Rusty! [;)] I have a "P" series guitar and a Fly. The more I know and the more I think about it - Parker had to import a low end product to save the high end. It is unfortunate that the situation dictated the need to do this. There are alot of benefits to introducing the low end making it affordable to entry level players and yet they are only look alikes to a Fly! In the end I wonder if the result of this marketing move will prove to be a detrement to the Fly models. I hope not! [:(]

01' Parker Fly Classic w/SD Black Backs
05' Parker TR P-36 Modified w/SD's
Korg AX1500G, D-Tar Mama Bear

jamrcat
Butte, Montana
"A Fly for each hand!"

NAMM 2007

Offline BrainWorm

NAMM 2007
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2007, 01:15:16 AM »
I wonder how profitable the guitar selling music companies are? I have not seen any numbers on it. Fender, Gibson, U.S. Music, the smaller companies, importers. I see all the guitars in Guitar Center, Sam Ash, Ken Stanton. How many guitars can people buy ? It almost seems like there are more guitars than people. Where are all these guitars being sold going? What are people doing with them? There must be basements full of guitars somewhere. Wonder what's going to happen when people realize that a guitar is not easy to play well. It takes a lot of work and practice to play well. I would guess that keyboards are in competition with guitars for attention from customers.

"Brainverms come crawling and creeping and eat you when you're sleeping."
"Brainverms come crawling and creeping and eat you when you're sleeping."

NAMM 2007

Offline laughinglarry

• http://www.myspace.com/larrysmithmusic
NAMM 2007
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2007, 08:33:20 AM »
quote:
There must be basements full of guitars somewhere.

You obviously haven't seen my MySpace page[:I].
Seriously though, this is BIG bucks. The MI category thrives on the entry level market (as witnessed by the WALL in GC, Sam Ash, etc.). These items may not make the companies the same profit level that the higher end products do, but then again the volume is SO much greater. The boutique companies that make very few instruments are obviously making significantly greater MARGIN, with lower overhead, and commensurately lower sales volume.

quote:
Wonder what's going to happen when people realize that a guitar is not easy to play well.

That's what keeps the low-end, and the industry in general, humming.  People will invest a few hundered dollars to give it a try.  If they loose interest they haven't lost that much.  And think about the number of sub $500 guitars that are bought as gifts.
Final thought: It's the HOBBIEST that makes the industry flourish.  Most of the guys that I've met that actually play for a living do it with just a few guitars. (I'm not talking rock-star level, but those guys don't pay what we pay for 'em!)  It's the middle class (on up) weekend players that spend the most dough, own the most guitars, and that the industry caters to.

'97 Fly Deluxe (with GK-2A), '89 Strat Plus, '89 American Standard Tele, '92 Les Paul Custom, '99 Ibanez JS-1000, Ibanez Silver Series (Strat), Epiphone Dot, '65 Mustang, Hohner G3T, Yamaha BB3000AF, Peavey Foundation, Hamer Cruisebass
http://www.myspace.com/larrysmithmusic

NAMM 2007

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
NAMM 2007
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2007, 08:46:30 AM »
You met Jay & Silent Bob?  duuude!

2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap
2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo signed by Steve Vai, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!