Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Attenuator on a Traynor 40?  (Read 2303 times)

Offline robbentrower

Attenuator on a Traynor 40?
« on: January 22, 2007, 03:51:53 PM »
Anyone tried one on a Traynor? Maybe instead of buying a smaller tube amp, an attenuator will be the way to go on the Traynor. Then I can get my tone, without killing everyone in the band. By they way, my bass player doesn't wear plugs, and so he is always complaining that I'm too loud. I wear plugs, because the cymbal noise just increases my tinnitus. I keep telling him to get plugs, but he just tells me to turn it down.

Spend $550 on Fender Blues jr, or $350 on an attenuator for my Traynor 40?

Question is: can you even crank the Fender jr to tube tone without going deaf? It's 15 watts, but it's loud.

Offline jamrcat

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 04:53:07 PM »
quote:
By they way, my bass player doesn't wear plugs, and so he is always complaining that I'm too loud. I wear plugs, because the cymbal noise just increases my tinnitus. I keep telling him to get plugs, but he just tells me to turn it down.

Spend $550 on Fender Blues jr, or $350 on an attenuator for my traynor 40?
A new Bass player may be cheaper! [:D]

01' Parker Fly Classic w/SD Black Backs
05' Parker TR P-36 Modified w/SD's
Korg AX1500G, D-Tar Mama Bear

jamrcat
Butte, Montana
"A Fly for each hand!"

Offline sfw

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 08:03:47 PM »
There are some great threads on the richter attenuator and others on there. I recall even some links. I picked one up based on Alex's recommendation, but honestly haven't even plugged it in yet. I don't have the talent yet on the playing front to get out in a band to play. But I thought it would be good to add for some small starter places. I'm stuck mostly with headphones at home. Try a search for Alex's and others discussions. I still would suggest an attenuator as I think you are more likely to get closer to the sound you want to keep with you current setup that you know, then trying to mess with an new one. Just my 2c. good luck.

- Scott

Fly Artist (purchase fund started)
P6; PM10; PM20; Franken-Fenders
Wiggles Murray, Barbie Electric w/matching mic, American Idol electric, Pink Hello Kitty
- Scott

PM10; Few Nitefly's; Franken-Fenders
Wiggles Murray, Barbie Electric w/matching mic, American Idol electric, Pink Hello Kitty

Offline sfw

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 08:13:39 PM »
Richter attenuator
http://forums.parkerguitars.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3392
http://www.motherloadusa.com/motherload-amplifier-load-box-recording-products-Richter.asp

Give these a shot in the browser.

- Scott

Fly Artist (purchase fund started)
P6; PM10; PM20; Franken-Fenders
- Scott

PM10; Few Nitefly's; Franken-Fenders

Offline james ha

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 11:24:54 PM »
attenuation - my buddy had an old tom sholz power soak that would put a wacky sholz tone on every amp that i saw it used on.
if you're going to spend $350 on an attenuator you should take your amp to the store and fully try it out at every possible level because if you get it and then don't like it you will have to sell it and every prospective buyer will insist on trying it out first just like you will wish you had.

Offline robbentrower

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 11:45:07 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by james ha

attenuation - my buddy had an old tom sholz power soak that would put a wacky sholz tone on every amp that i saw it used on.
if you're going to spend $350 on an attenuator you should take your amp to the store and fully try it out at every possible level because if you get it and then don't like it you will have to sell it and every prospective buyer will insist on trying it out first just like you will wish you had.

This is exactly what I'm doing tomorrow. Taking the amp in, and the guy who makes the attenuators will let me try it out right there, and I have the option of returning it as well if I don't like it. He does all the amp work for Long and McQuade in Vancouver. I had talked to him about doing 'mods' on the Blues Jr, something that BillM is doing over on the Fender forums, (and I was even considering doing $200 in mods after buying the Blues Jr) and I was told "Mods won't do much. To get good sound in a tube, you need to crank the amp, and if you can't handle the volume, you need an attenuator."

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 07:34:31 AM »
Is that the guy who makes the Ultimate brand attenuator? I had one it sounded very good 2nd only to the Richter. It is actually a 32 ohm load and a re-amp device. Having a higher load is generally safe and more closely matches a real speaker then most fixed resistance attenuators. The Richter is not a fixed resistance load it is a reactive load like a speaker and matches the impedance curve of a speaker so it sounds more natural. But the Ultimate was pretty close and sounded good with every amp I tried it with. I understand the manufacturer is in that part of Canada and that if you buy direct he is cheaper then buying from California. You don't need the doubling option. You should probably buy the Plexi switch and the line out. And buy the 100 watt version no less as it dissipates the heat better they get hot.

[^]

Alex

« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 07:35:21 AM by 908ssp »
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline robbentrower

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 09:18:11 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by 908ssp

Is that the guy who makes the Ultimate brand attenuator? I had one it sounded very good 2nd only to the Richter. It is actually a 32 ohm load and a re-amp device. Having a higher load is generally safe and more closely matches a real speaker then most fixed resistance attenuators. The Richter is not a fixed resistance load it is a reactive load like a speaker and matches the impedance curve of a speaker so it sounds more natural. But the Ultimate was pretty close and sounded good with every amp I tried it with. I understand the manufacturer is in that part of Canada and that if you buy direct he is cheaper then buying from California. You don't need the doubling option. You should probably buy the Plexi switch and the line out. And buy the 100 watt version no less as it dissipates the heat better they get hot.

[^]

Alex

Yes, it's the guy who makes the 'ultimate attenuator'. He told me on the phone that he sells them to the guy in California all the time. He's a Chinese guy who runs a shop called 'Ho's' in Vancouver. He's quoting me $320 for it, and I assume that's going to have most of the bells and whistles. Thanks for pointing out features that I might need. I will bring this up today. I did a lot of research on this 'ultimate' last night and read only good things. It took quite a bit of searching to finally find someone who knew that they were not made by the guy in California, but by a 'Chinese guy in Canada'. I'm looking forward to hearing it. Man, I actually dreamt about this last night. That I was hooking it up and there were all these strange wheels and gadgets that had to be adjusted, but I was hearing amazing tone. Lol!

What does the plexi switch do?

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 10:25:31 AM »
The Plexi switch adds a little brightness when the volume is turned way down. It helps at low volumes.

[^]

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG