Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Stellartone Tonestyler installed on Fly Mojo  (Read 5348 times)

Offline esimms

Stellartone Tonestyler installed on Fly Mojo
« on: January 26, 2007, 10:31:29 PM »
Warning: Long post!

Well, I just got my Fly Mojo back from my local guitar tech yesterday. I had him install a Stellartone ToneStyler tone circuit in place of the stock tone circuit. He also replaced all 3 stock knobs(mag volume, mag tone and piezo volume) with speed knobs with the numbers 0-10. Additionally, at Scott Binner's suggestion(thanks Scott!) I had the stock 3 way switches replaced with higher end switches purchased from www.guitarelectronics.com(same folks that I bought the speed knobs from). I like the look and I especially like the functionality of the speed knobs on the Mojo.

A couple of mods to the guitar had to be made for all this to happen. First of all, per Alex and Roly's suggestion(and with an installation diagram also posted at www.stellartone.com - a pdf file, BTW, that says that it's for a PRS guitar though it also works for Parker Flys), the original tone pot was moved into the volume control position to give (1)control of volume, and (2)making the volume knob push-pull for coil splitting. Additionally, the hole for the tone circuit had to be slightly widened to accommodate the Tonestyler. If you take the Tonestyler and the volume circuit out, you will see that both of their corresponding holes on the face of the guitar have the same diameter. This is also covered with a washer, and it allows for me to change back to the stock configuration without any visible defect on the face of the guitar.

I should add that the Tonestyler comes with the choice of a long or short shaft(3/4" or 3/8" mounting bushing length). Though the tech recommended going with the long shaft, I had already purchased the short shaft, which turned out to work out just fine.

Before I get on to talk about the ToneStyler, I should say that the new switches work flawlessly, and switching problems should now be a thing of the past for my Fly Mojo. Scott Binner also, BTW, had emailed me an installation diagram(I swear there are some wonderful folks on this forum!).

Regarding the sound of the guitar with the ToneStyler, I should first tell you how it's set up to work. There are 16 very quiet click positions in all for tone selection. Position 1 is with the treble completed rolled off(same as with the stock tone control) and position 16 has the tone wide open(or bypass, again, same as with the stock setup). The ToneStyler is advertised to provide a gradual treble rolloff(an even progression of treble rolloff as advertised) without significant loss of midrange. It lives up to its promise in this area, and the resulting sound of the Mojo is fatter and richer than ever. There are a handful of reviews of the Tonestyler posted at www.harmonycentral.com, and there are published reviews from various guitar publications posted on the stellartone website. The stellartone website also has about 10 or 11 mp3's of different "classic" guitars(Les Paul, Strat, Tele, Firebird - none of them Parkers) demo'ed with the ToneStyler circuit in place.

The sound of the guitar with the new circuit in place is, for me, a revelation. Before having the ToneStyler, I pretty much had little or no interest in using the bridge pickup in any guitar. I should confess that I come from a jazz and jazz-blues background and I have a strong preference for a warm neck pickup tone. Well, the bridge pickup now has so many nuances to it that I'm just loving it. I agree with most reviewers(pro and amateur) who say that there are probably a few settings out of the 14(not counting complete rolloff and wide open) that I find especially useful for my tastes. However, given the switching options on the Mojo(i.e., neck/middle/bridge,  plus/minus a little piezo dialed in, PLUS the same options with the coil split circuit engaged), I find that the Mojo is that much more musical to my ears and the tone pot is tremendously more useful to me than it ever was when stock. Stellartone also makes a Tonestyler that allows the ToneStyler to effect tonal differences as well based on the position of the volume knob(i.e., the ToneStyler with tandem volume-tone control available for an additional 9.95 USD). I opted not to go for this, though others may choose differently. It's just a matter of personal preference. For anyone interested, Tonestyler sells for 119.00 USD plus shipping (direct from stellartone). There is also a Bari-ToneStyler available for the same price for use in bass guitars and archtops. I have no direct experience with the Bari-ToneStyler, so I will leave that topic for any adventurous owners of Fly Basses.

The only thing I could think to add to the guitar from a tone sculpting standpoint would be a midrange boost/cut circuit that would allow you to selectively add or subtract midrange in concert with the treble rolloff. Of course, I would be thinking more of using it as a midrange rolloff since the midrange on my Mojo is now, aside from the bypass postion, better than it ever was. It would also, of course, be more complicated to dial in your tone when you have to use two knobs as once. Whew! I think I'm finally done with this post! Thanks for reading.
  -  Esau

« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 08:11:10 AM by esimms »

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 10:51:09 PM »
Great post thanks.
If you could get some pictures of the control cavity that would help people contemplating doing or having it done.

[^]

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline jamrcat

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 12:22:46 AM »
I agree great post! [;)] Your mod's almost convince me to buy a Mojo and go for it! Sounds like you've found some great tones and variables that truly enhance your Fly. Congrats! [^]

01' Parker Fly Classic w/SD Black Backs
05' Parker TR P-36 Modified w/SD's
Korg AX1500G, D-Tar Mama Bear

jamrcat
Butte, Montana
"A Fly for each hand!"

Offline Lwinn171

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 12:34:40 AM »
Nice mod! Hope it continues to inspire you... I'd love to see photo's!

Lawrence Winn
You can hear me playing and see my woodworks at:
http://www.myspace.com/132917993
"42.7 percent of all statistics are made-up on the spot."
2001 Fly Classic, Green
Larivee Parlour Guitar
Several inferior others
Mesa Boogie MK IV
Marshall 2-12 cab

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic, 98 Deluxe
various amps, various toys

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 07:37:13 AM »
Great post. Thanks.

My Deluxe and Artist, as much as I love them, still don't give me the tone I'm after.

I try the "roll off the treble knob" trick but if I roll it off enough to cancel the brittle/brightness/quack that I don't care for, I get an overall decreased volume of the treble strings.

I was saving for a Mojo as I thought that might be the answer.

I guess tone quest is an ever lasting pursuit.

Custom '03 Hardtail Artist ; Fly Deluxe 2000; Gibson ES137; 1974 K.Yari DY85; SchecterDisposable; Martin Backpacker/paddle combo;LarriveeParlor;VoxAD30VT;SWR California Blonde
A few Flys in my soup

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 08:21:08 AM »
quote:
I guess tone quest is an ever lasting pursuit.

Yep, I agree. I wonder if cello or violin players go thru the same sort of thing?! [:D]

Interesting idea with the tone control replacement. Maybe I ought to try that with my Mojo Nitefly... [8D]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams

Offline esimms

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 08:22:09 AM »
Thanks guys. I'll try to pics posted later in the week. And yes, I agree, the search for the perfect tone is elusive and lifelong. One important thing I forgot to add is that  if you use your tone control for wah-like effects, the ToneStyler is not for you. Since there are 16 click positions, you can't roll the tone knob with you pinky like you might with a stock Fly.
    -  Esau

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 08:53:56 AM »
quote:
One important thing I forgot to add is that if you use your tone control for wah-like effects, the ToneStyler is not for you. Since there are 16 click positions, you can't roll the tone knob with you pinky like you might with a stock Fly.

Yep, that's the drawback with that type of tone control.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams

Offline esimms

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 09:56:39 AM »
As promised, here are pictures of the Stellartone mod. The volume pot to your left is actually the original tone pot shifted over to become a volume pot with push-pull coil splitter. The black objects with the 12 gold colored prongs are the replacements for the mag pickup selector and mag/piezo selector switches.
  -  Esau

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q204/esimms86/IMG_0022.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q204/esimms86/IMG_0021.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q204/esimms86/IMG_0020.jpg

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 10:52:23 AM »
Thanks for the pictures. That does make it clearer to me as I had trouble understanding the tone pot move comment. It is clear now totally my fault for misunderstanding. You should have had the tech put a plug/socket in your battery line while in there so you can take the cover and battery holder off altogether.

[^]

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline esimms

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2007, 11:58:58 AM »
Good idea Alex. If I end up doing the RMC 13 pin mod, I'll definitely have the tech also throw in a plug socket for the battery compartment.
   -  Esau

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2007, 12:10:57 PM »
Cool! [8D]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams