Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: So.... what do YOU do?!  (Read 8058 times)

Offline laughinglarry

• http://www.myspace.com/larrysmithmusic
So.... what do YOU do?!
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2007, 08:42:39 PM »
quote:
Off with the head!! It gets in the way too much.

So Paul, does this mean I'm going to start reading your posts on the Steinberger forum too? [:D]

C'mon, you KNEW that was coming, didn't you? [:I]

'97 Fly Deluxe (with GK-2A), '89 Strat Plus, '89 American Standard Tele, '92 Les Paul Custom, '99 Ibanez JS-1000, Ibanez Silver Series (Strat), Epiphone Dot, '65 Mustang, Hohner G3T, Yamaha BB3000AF, Peavey Foundation, Hamer Cruisebass
http://www.myspace.com/larrysmithmusic

So.... what do YOU do?!

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
So.... what do YOU do?!
« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2007, 08:46:19 PM »
quote:
So Paul, does this mean I'm going to start reading your posts on the Steinberger forum too?

Aww man, I got blindsided!! [:I]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams

So.... what do YOU do?!

Offline Dann Glenn

• http://www.dannglenn.com
So.... what do YOU do?!
« Reply #77 on: February 04, 2007, 10:49:33 AM »
Paul,

I listened to your music and just wanted to tell you what a fine player you are. There is a very original signature to your approach that is quite haunting. I sense a lot of introspect and sadness in your melodies. I also dig the dreamscape vibe your tunes have.

Lastly, sorry to hear about your buddy Vince. Man...only two years older than I am. Makes one stop and think. Anyway Paul...thought I'd give you a huge thumbs-up on your sound and playing...I really like the eerie melodic approach to some of your tunes.

Party on. [8D]

Dann

Dann Glenn
Parker Guitarsâ„¢ Endorser
http://www.dannglenn.com

« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 11:13:16 AM by Dann Glenn »

So.... what do YOU do?!

Offline Paul Marossy

So.... what do YOU do?!
« Reply #78 on: February 04, 2007, 01:41:19 PM »
quote:
Paul,

I listened to your music and just wanted to tell you what a fine player you are. There is a very original signature to your approach that is quite haunting. I sense a lot of introspect and sadness in your melodies. I also dig the dreamscape vibe your tunes have.

Thanks! That's very nice of you. Introspective for sure, not necessarily sadness, though. I am quite happy today, but if you're thinking of the tune "Invisible" when you say these things - then yes, sad -very sad. I was in a very long, deep, dark depression for like six months and I literally felt invisible - like I didn't register on anyone's radar screen. Things changed radically for me not long after that.

quote:
Lastly, sorry to hear about your buddy Vince. Man...only two years older than I am. Makes one stop and think.

Yeah, and not long after that I found out that my blood pressure is a little high and I'm only forty! So, more changes to make in my lifestyle. I feel kind of guilty because I didn't really like him, but I could have been more of a friend to him.

quote:
Anyway Paul...thought I'd give you a huge thumbs-up on your sound and playing...I really like the eerie melodic approach to some of your tunes.

Thanks once again. Those tunes are all improvised pieces based on a general idea I had. I think they turned out alright. My hopes are to do a whole CD with similar stuff on it. I have some pretty, flowery sounding stuff that I think people would also like, but I am actually kind of doing some real composing on those pieces. [8D]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams

So.... what do YOU do?!

Offline cy2989

• http://chrisyoungportraits.com
So.... what do YOU do?!
« Reply #79 on: February 04, 2007, 03:55:11 PM »
Wow Paul...I have to second what Dann said.  You are a fine player.  I would love to hear about your rig.  Your sound is a little like some of Keaggy's.

Chris
Tulipwood Deluxe #9, Cedar Bronze Fly
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 03:57:45 PM by cy2989 »

So.... what do YOU do?!

Offline Paul Marossy

So.... what do YOU do?!
« Reply #80 on: February 04, 2007, 05:18:46 PM »
quote:
Wow Paul...I have to second what Dann said. You are a fine player. I would love to hear about your rig. Your sound is a little like some of Keaggy's.

My recording rig is nothing to write home about... with only my headphones on, it's just my Mojo Nitefly thru a '73 Maestro Boomerang into my trusty old Zoom 9030 half-rack effects unit from the early 90s with a preset that I made up from scratch. And the output of that goes straight into my Yamaha AW16G digital multi-track and then onto CD to be converted to an MP3 file. That's how I made all the tunes, save "Invisible". That one was done on an ancient Yamaha MT-44 cassette 4-track recorder. I mixed that one down from the cassette master straight to CD. I'm surprised that it doesn't sound a lot worse than it does in terms of dynamic range and hiss. That was another off the cuff recording that had little thought beforehand. Those are the ones that always seem to turn out the best! [:0]

My live rig is a whole other story. That's always changing. [:I]
And, besides, I don't really get to play out these days, so I have no idea what it would end up being. I think I want to go with a stereo rig for the cool stereo delay effects, kind of like what Holdsworth does, but that's a lot of stuff to lug around. I typically use my Fender Hot Rod DeVille with my pedalboard of commercial and DIY pedals on it.

Anyhow, thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it! [8D]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 05:43:35 PM by Paul Marossy »

So.... what do YOU do?!

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
So.... what do YOU do?!
« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2007, 06:44:58 PM »
Paul,

I listened to your stuff today too. Excellent playing AND recording. I echo Dan in commending a unique voice - tough to do in the fusion/progressive world. Very cool stuff. I look forward to hearing more.

Bob

1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail  â€¢ 1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue (thanks, Darren!) •  1998 Fly Classic in Cherry Red with DiBurro Roland Mod • Now on a signature reduction program! Just the Flies, maam. •  www.rtmadvertising.com
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

So.... what do YOU do?!

Offline Paul Marossy

So.... what do YOU do?!
« Reply #82 on: February 04, 2007, 08:27:59 PM »
quote:
Paul,

I listened to your stuff today too. Excellent playing AND recording. I echo Dan in commending a unique voice - tough to do in the fusion/progressive world. Very cool stuff. I look forward to hearing more.

Thanks! I've recorded quite a lot of stuff in the past on my 4-track, but I was always frustrated by the limitations of my equipment. What a difference 10 or 15 years makes! As far as my style goes, I'm unique because I literally had to teach myself guitar, and my style just developed over the years by picking up bits and pieces here and there from all kinds of different guitar players. I always had it in mind to not sound like just another guitar player so I've been searching for things that sound unique and for technique that isn't commonplace. Like you said, not an easy thing to do! This very same thing can make me feel like a "musical weirdo", too. [8D]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams

So.... what do YOU do?!

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
So.... what do YOU do?!
« Reply #83 on: February 05, 2007, 07:11:17 AM »
with regard to the eyesight thing, make sure you have heard Johnny Hiland - he's one heck of an inspirational (and humble) player!

2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!
2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo signed by Steve Vai, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!

So.... what do YOU do?!

Offline Dann Glenn

• http://www.dannglenn.com
So.... what do YOU do?!
« Reply #84 on: February 05, 2007, 11:02:56 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Marossy

Like you said, not an easy thing to do! This very same thing can make me feel like a "musical weirdo", too. [8D]

And that's a good thing! [8D] Original thought is in short supply during these times of the Slobbering Karaoke Undead.

Dann

Dann Glenn
Parker Guitarsâ„¢ Endorser
http://www.dannglenn.com

So.... what do YOU do?!

Offline Paul Marossy

So.... what do YOU do?!
« Reply #85 on: February 05, 2007, 11:11:40 AM »
quote:
Original thought is in short supply during these times of the Slobbering Karaoke Undead.

HA! That's funny!! [:D]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams