Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A few Q's for owners  (Read 2886 times)

Offline gemini8026

A few Q's for owners
« on: March 11, 2005, 05:03:52 PM »
Alright y'all, after my long post up top, I have a question to some of you owners.

First off, have any of you "scotch brited" or done anything to your neck to get rid of the sticky feeling inherent with Poly based finishes?

Im just curious because Carvin uses the "fancy composites" on its construction but on my UISA Jacksons I have found it REALLY makes the guitar a lot better feelign when I scotch brite off that sticky poly coating for a satin like feel.  Is that Do-able on this guitar, or will a guy end up with fiberglass in his hands?

Second, is the guitar less succeptable to humidity and temp changes with its unique construction.  Up in Canada here, I go through various weather changes and all my guitars usually require multiple tweaks throughout the year to keep everything playing nice and right.

Thanks for any input!!!
Every Man needs a Hobby he cant afford!!!

A few Q's for owners

Offline 908ssp

A few Q's for owners
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2005, 06:04:45 PM »
I used 600 grit wet dry paper and smoothed the paint and left it dull. It feels smoother and my hands stick less.

I find my Flys rock solid stable far better then any of my other guitars.

1996 Parker Fly Deluxe
2004 Maven Peal Ganesha
2004 Marshall 4x12 Scumbag
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

A few Q's for owners

Offline gemini8026

A few Q's for owners
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2005, 07:58:12 PM »
Thanks 908, thats what I have done with past guitars and it makes a nice improvement.  I just wanted to make sure it was Do-able and that there wasnt a risk of sanding into that composite material on the neck!!!

BTW, I love your collection of red white and Blue!!!

A few Q's for owners

Offline 908ssp

A few Q's for owners
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2005, 09:27:49 PM »
Thanks. I don't understand why they haven't enabled pictures? Actually the blue one isn't mine. It belongs to friend he let me try It and I was hooked. Bought the white Deluxe and red Classic off ebay and they were just fine. Bought a Nitefly from my local dealer. You don't sand much to get the neck nice smooth.

1996 Parker Fly Deluxe
2004 Maven Peal Ganesha
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

A few Q's for owners

Offline gemini8026

A few Q's for owners
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2005, 02:22:08 AM »
How was your Parker experience on Ebay?  

I would *consider it* from someone with high feedback and LOTs of pictures and documentation.  Id be worried about getting a unit that had detached frets with issues/etc.

Is there any years to avoid, or a certain age/price range that is a real sweet spot?  

A few Q's for owners

Offline darkest_fugue

A few Q's for owners
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2005, 06:44:37 AM »
i have very sweaty hands and they have a tendancy to stich to my les paul and my old tele but then tend to slip and slide around more on my parkers which is great....my G+L has a satin finish on the back of the neck which i love but its not needed on my parkers...i wouldnt dream of touching the finish

A few Q's for owners

Offline 908ssp

A few Q's for owners
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2005, 09:06:16 AM »
I ask questions of the seller if they answer within a day or so and are forth coming with questions I feel comfortable. I have gotten sellers on the phone for every purchase I have made (5)it makes a huge difference to ask people on the phone about the guitar and since you have their number they are much less likely to lie. I do believe that Parker quality is way more consistent then most and that any Parker can be set up to be right for you. You have to expect the cost of a setup if you can't do it yourself.

1996 Parker Fly Deluxe
2004 Maven Peal Ganesha
« Last Edit: March 12, 2005, 09:07:02 AM by 908ssp »
Alex

A few Q's for owners

Offline Chaoshumor

A few Q's for owners
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2005, 09:37:13 AM »
I think the whole sticky neck thing has more to do with the actual sweat than the neck. In my experience as long as I consistently clean the neck after each time I play it doesn't get too bad, but if I neglect to do this it eventually gets this... film on it and makes it more prone to sticking.

As far as stability in my experience it's similar to other guitars, but not nearly as bad in needing major adjustments of the truss rod or anything. I live in California where the temp. difference is far less extreme than our Canadian brother gemini, but from winter to summer I have never really even needed to adjust the truss rod. I can usually tell that it does change due to the temp and humidity because my tuning goes slightly flat or sharp, but never to the point of fret buzz. This is pretty standard for both my Nitefly Mojo and my Fly Deluxe. Hope that helps.
If it's not a Parker... Then it's just a guitar.

A few Q's for owners

Offline austin

A few Q's for owners
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2005, 10:15:31 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by gemini8026

How was your Parker experience on Ebay?  

I would *consider it* from someone with high feedback and LOTs of pictures and documentation.  Id be worried about getting a unit that had detached frets with issues/etc.

Is there any years to avoid, or a certain age/price range that is a real sweet spot?  

I've been very lucky on eBay. I got my Parker Deluxe a few months back for a ridiculous price and it was set up perfectly. If I add on the money I spent to get new model Dimarzios for it (also off eBay), it's still less that what most old models are going for.

The 2 main things I do for eBay auctions are:

1. I always ask a question. Usually, sellers don't post the serial#, so I ask for that. This serves as a little evidence that they actually have the guitar and it also lets you know the manufactured date and the model (sometimes people don't know the actual model they're selling, but the serial# doesn't lie). I also ask if the guitar has any dings, scratches, etc. Or, if they mention damage in their ad, I ask if there is any additional damage. If I get no response, or a snooty response, I don't even consider bidding, no matter how good the price might look.

2. I check the feedback history to see what the seller has sold before. If they have hundreds of positive feedbacks from selling some $10 widget, that's not necessarily a good sign. I want to see if they've sold guitars or musical equipment before. If they have positive feedback from MI sales, I can feel comfortable that they know how to pack and ship an instrument and that it will get to me in one piece.

For Parkers, the pre April 99 guitars have the old Dimarzio pickups and the post April 99 guitars have the new ones. If you don't care about getting the new pickups, stick to an older guitar and you'll pay less.

As far as the neck stickyness goes, poly finished necks have never bothered me. But then, I don't sweat very much when I play.

-Austin

--
Early 99" Parker Fly Deluxe, upgraded with new model Dimarzios and full humbucking in the middle position

A few Q's for owners

Offline 908ssp

A few Q's for owners
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2005, 11:13:17 PM »
There is a Mojo rip off on eBay right know. I asked a question never got an answer. He has stock picture form Musician Friend with two Parkers of different colors one on top of the other. He doesn't say what color the guitar is he is selling nothing absolutely nothing about the guitar and no pictures and still people bid. I just can't understand how they get away with running such an obvious rip off.

1996 Parker Fly Deluxe
1998 Parker Fly Classic
200? Parker NiteFly S/S/H
2004 Maven Peal Ganesha
Alex

A few Q's for owners

Offline austin

A few Q's for owners
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2005, 11:47:04 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by 908ssp

I just can't understand how they get away with running such an obvious rip off.

What I can't understand is why someone would bid on such an obvious rip-off. I guess they figure they'll pay with a credit card and they might get lucky and get a great guitar for cheap. If not they can just get a refund for fraud. Definitely not the sort of game I would want play.

-Austin

--
Early 99" Parker Fly Deluxe, upgraded with new model Dimarzios and full humbucking in the middle position

A few Q's for owners

Offline blacken

A few Q's for owners
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2005, 09:45:48 PM »
I bought one off ebay. came in the condition that he said it was in. Just make sure that you get it from a buyer who has good feedback and question them a lot.

A few Q's for owners

Offline DrMeerkat

A few Q's for owners
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2005, 06:38:17 PM »
I bought a 95 Fly Deluxe off ebay.  The guitar was in gorgeous condition, but was packed only in the gig bag, some bubble wrap, and some brown paper.  Fortunately when I opened it, the guitar was still perfect by some miracle.  I just thank my lucky stars.  You really have to know what you are getting by checking out the serial as well.  It was listed as a Classic hardtail, when it was really a Deluxe trem model (they just lost the trem bar).  There wasn't even a chip in the paint when I got it.  Either Ken built an invincible instrument or I'm the luckiest something or other on the planet!  There are some finds out there, you just might have to help them along with the shipping instructions...
Black 1995 Parker Fly Deluxe
DiMarzio Virtual PAF in Neck and Bridge

A few Q's for owners

Offline 908ssp

A few Q's for owners
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2005, 10:16:35 PM »
I always feel like a some kind of fool when I explain how I expect something shipped. But some people don't realize it is a game the shipping company against you the shipper or receiver and you have to have a good offense. I pack like a pack of gorillas work at the shipper and I am not far off. So it takes ten more minutes to get it out of the box  do you want it one piece or pieces?[:D]

1996 Parker Fly Deluxe
1998 Parker Fly Classic
200? Parker NiteFly S/S/H
2004 Maven Peal Ganesha
Alex