Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Acoustic amp & POD  (Read 1822 times)

Offline flynewbie

• http://www.artreachheals.org
Acoustic amp & POD
« on: February 07, 2007, 12:32:46 PM »
Hi - I'm a new fly mojo player.  I'm picky about tone, yet unfortunately have more ear for tone than knowledge about electronics.  Right now, I'm playing through an acoustic amp only (SWR Strawberry Blonde) - the acoustic sounds great, and the magnetic pickups do fine through that as well.  Here's my question - to utilize the "smart" cable, would it work to plug the acoustic side into the SWR, and the other into the board via a POD 2.0?  Would that be recognized by the "smart cable" as the electric amp?  Please speak to me in SIMPLE terms, for the electronically challenged. . .Thanks much.

Fly Mojo; Taylor 312; 59 Gibson MelodyMaker
Fly Mojo
Taylor 312
'59 Gibson MelodyMaker
Roland Cube 60
Crate CA 6110

Acoustic amp & POD

Offline DrJeff

Acoustic amp & POD
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 01:12:29 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Becca. In a word, "Yes". The cable isn't what's "smart" -- its the stereo/mono switching on the guitar. I have used two separate amps since day one with my NiteFly and now have added a third for the synth. There are a lot of threads on Pods and other direct out devices. You are on the the right track.1997 Sunburst Nitefly SA
2000 Metallic Red Fly Deluxe w/Roland Mod
Tech 21 Trademark 60 w/Power Engine
Crate CA-125
Rgds,
Jeff

Acoustic amp & POD

Offline flynewbie

Acoustic amp & POD
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 02:27:17 PM »
Thanks for the reply DrJeff - I've got some experimenting to do.  If anyone has any favorite POD settings with their Fly, I'd love to hear. Any input appreciated!

Fly Mojo; Taylor 312; '59 Gibson MelodyMaker; SWR Strawberry Blonde; POD 2.0
Fly Mojo
Taylor 312
'59 Gibson MelodyMaker
Roland Cube 60
Crate CA 6110

Acoustic amp & POD

Offline 908ssp

Acoustic amp & POD
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 05:00:38 PM »
I have a Strawberry Blond and my Mojo does not recognize it and switch to stereo. I have to run an acoustic effects pedal in the piezo line or the guitar stays in mono mode.

So let me go over this in detail and tell me if yours works.

I run the Mojo with a stereo cable the mag line goes to effects and amp and it always works. I run the piezo side directly to the Strawberry Blond and I get nothing silence. If I take the piezo cable and plug it into a different amp I get piezo tones. If I plug the piezo into an effects pedal and then into the Strawberry Blond it works fine.

I don't think you have to worry about the mag side switching as the mag side is the cord tip. The piezo side is the ring so if it doesn't switch then the piezo output continues to go to the tip and not the ring.

I also sent my Mojo to Parker and they said nothing was wrong and sent it back. My smart switch just isn't.

[^]

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Acoustic amp & POD

Offline rt0412

Acoustic amp & POD
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 06:02:17 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by 908ssp

I have a Strawberry Blond and my Mojo does not recognize it and switch to stereo. I have to run an acoustic effects pedal in the piezo line or the guitar stays in mono mode.

So let me go over this in detail and tell me if yours works.

I run the Mojo with a stereo cable the mag line goes to effects and amp and it always works. I run the piezo side directly to the Strawberry Blond and I get nothing silence. If I take the piezo cable and plug it into a different amp I get piezo tones. If I plug the piezo into an effects pedal and then into the Strawberry Blond it works fine.

I don't think you have to worry about the mag side switching as the mag side is the cord tip. The piezo side is the ring so if it doesn't switch then the piezo output continues to go to the tip and not the ring.

I also sent my Mojo to Parker and they said nothing was wrong and sent it back. My smart switch just isn't.[^]
Alex

That's probably because the SWR Strawberry Blonde also has a "smart switch" of it's own and refuses to cooperate with the Parker guitars... Quote from the owner's manual - "The input “senses” either a magnetic or piezo pickup, therefore separate inputs or a selector switch is not needed (as on other acoustic amplifiers)."

Too many smart cooks spoil the broth...

Rolly

Acoustic amp & POD

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
Acoustic amp & POD
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 06:33:14 PM »
Interesting.

I have the SWR California Blonde. (Love it/sounds great)

I have both a "refined" fly and an unrefined one (should say prerefined?)

Of course I always plug the piezo into the Blonde and both Flys work flawlessly. My "smart switch" works fine with an older California Blonde. Could it have to do with it being 2 channels? Maybe the older version Blondes didn't have the "amp smart switch" built in?
[?]

Custom '03 Hardtail Artist ; Fly Deluxe 2000; Gibson ES137; 1974 K.Yari DY85; SchecterDisposable; Martin Backpacker/paddle combo;LarriveeParlor;VoxAD30VT;SWR California Blonde
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 06:33:50 PM by Bill »
A few Flys in my soup

Acoustic amp & POD

Offline flynewbie

Acoustic amp & POD
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 08:48:28 PM »
I have the same issue as 908ssp - when I use the stereo cable, it doesn't recognize the SWR Strawberry Blonde.  Too bad, because when I plug into it directly, it sounds great with the piezo.  I'll try using a pedal into the Blonde and see what happens.  Meanwhile, I traded in the POD 2.0 and got a Roland Cube 60 - fewer choices, and I was looking to simplify - want to just enhance the guitar sound, not turn it into a whole 'nother animal . . .Thanks for the input on the Blonde.

Fly Mojo; Taylor 312; '59 Gibson MelodyMaker; SWR Strawberry Blonde; Roland Cube 60
Fly Mojo
Taylor 312
'59 Gibson MelodyMaker
Roland Cube 60
Crate CA 6110