Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Parker Jazz Gtrs  (Read 20469 times)

Offline Musicman1

Parker Jazz Gtrs
« on: February 07, 2007, 03:07:35 PM »
Ok...cool...Ill be the first to post here...has anyone seen one in person yet?? are they still in the ordering stage??

Musicman1

2005 Parker P44 in trans red
2002 EB MM Axis Sport  in trans gold
1984 Custom made boutique Strat
1977 Guild D40 NT
1976 Gibson 335 Custom in sunburst
A variety of amps and effects

« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 03:08:25 PM by Musicman1 »
Musicman1's current arsenal includes:
2007 EB MM JP6, Mystic Dream, piezo, matching headstock, dot inlays
2005 Parker P44, trans red
2002 EB MM Axis Sport  trans gold, rosewood fingerboard, hum/hum, vintage trem, matching headstock
1984 Custom made boutique Strat
1977 Guild D40 NT
1976 Gibson 335 Custom in sunburst
A variety of "tube free", absolutely non-boutique and completely replaceable amps and effects

Parker Jazz Gtrs

Offline simonlock

Parker Jazz Gtrs
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 03:33:13 PM »
Cool that was fast. Great Job web guy!

Simon
Vancouver,BC

'00 Parker Fly Supreme-Butterscotch
'06 Parker Nylon Fly(thanks Jamie!)
'99 Parker Fly Artist w/Ken Parker signature
'06 Parker Fly Mojo-T/Cherry
'06 Parker Fly Classic-Dusty Black
'99 Parker Fly Classic-Natural
'99 Parker Fly Classic-T/Cherry
'96 Parker Fly Standard-Emerald Green

Parker Jazz Gtrs

Offline jamrcat

Parker Jazz Gtrs
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 05:25:15 PM »
Since I came up with this idea of an acoustic and jazz category, is there any royalties I can collect? LOL I agree with Musicman, great job Webmister!!! [;)]

01' Parker Fly Classic w/SD Black Backs
05' Parker TR P-36 Modified w/SD's
Korg AX1500G, D-Tar Mama Bear

jamrcat
Butte, Montana
"A Fly for each hand!"

Parker Jazz Gtrs

Offline titanium667

• http://www.myspace.com/humankindness
Parker Jazz Gtrs
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 08:01:13 PM »
I should have been the first to post here being
I'm the only one here with a Parker Jazz!!!!
...the old Jazz model anyway![:)]

1999 Parker Fly Jazz

www.myspace.com/humankindness ¥ www.myspace.com/kidsafterdark

Parker Jazz Gtrs

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
Parker Jazz Gtrs
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 09:57:22 AM »
titanium, you're such a show off!!
Perhaps we should rename the previous poster as Underwhelmington only.
Isn't the NAMM show a bit loud and noiy to judge the sound of a jazzer?  (honest question - don't feel insulted)

2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!
2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo signed by Steve Vai, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!

Parker Jazz Gtrs

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
Parker Jazz Gtrs
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 10:05:31 AM »
I'll hop in here too. I spent a good long while with the Jazzes at NAMM. As I said, when I hit Parker's booth on Thursday, there was nothing going on there. Sure, there was residual ambient noise in the room, but as with Mick, I've been going to NAMM shows since 1980, and have learned to "listen through".

I'll start by saying that I am archtop enthusiast - I own many (1939 Gibson Super 400, four Steve Andersen archtops, including an Emerald City, two Little Archies and an Oval Hole, and several other newer and vintage archtops). They are my other passion (co-existent with Flys). My take on the Parker Jazz is that it's roughly commensurate in quality with the Epiphone Emperor Regent, which regularly sells for about $700. Parker has positioned their Jazz guitars in the same price range as imports by Sadowsky - in particular, the  Jim Hall signature model http://www.sadowsky.com/guitars/hall_signature.html#hall_model which is 100 times the guitar the Epi or the Parker is - they aren't even in a town near the same league. Eastman guitars, which are half the price, are still easily 3 to 4 times better than these. And it doesn't really matter that some are laminated and some are solid wood - the Jim Hall model is laminated because it's an ELECTRIC guitar, as are the Parkers. Lam construction, if done right, can make a much better-sounding electric guitar than solid wood.

Anyway, I've resisted a review of these, as I hate to rain on a parade. But I really just don't get it. A Parker Fly is the penutlimate solid body electric guitar, in my opinion. That these come from any company related to the Fly seems to be a complete disconnect.

Sorry, but that's the way I see it.

Bob

1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail  â€¢ 1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue (thanks, Darren!) •  1998 Fly Classic in Cherry Red with DiBurro Roland Mod • Now on a signature reduction program! Just the Flies, maam. •  www.rtmadvertising.com
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 10:11:57 AM by uburoibob »
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

Parker Jazz Gtrs

Offline AndyVt

Parker Jazz Gtrs
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 10:28:17 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by titanium667

I should have been the first to post here being
I'm the only one here with a Parker Jazz!!!!
...the old Jazz model anyway![:)]

1999 Parker Fly Jazz

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference between a Parker Fly Classic and your Jazz?  My guitar looks exactly like the guitar in your photo and I think I have a Parker Fly Classic (I bought it used last year and that's what the original owner said).
AndyVt

Parker Jazz Gtrs

Offline simonlock

Parker Jazz Gtrs
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 10:47:16 PM »
quote:
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference between a Parker Fly Classic and your Jazz?  My guitar looks exactly like the guitar in your photo and I think I have a Parker Fly Classic (I bought it used last year and that's what the original owner said).
AndyVt

Yes it's true at first glance they appear very similar or even the same but once the details are revealed it's quite different. The differences that I am aware of are: All gold hardware and gold FRETS, different fret profiles, custom wound pickups that are only made for the Jazz, Hardtail bridge and I think it comes set up with 12s?

Simon
Vancouver,BC

Parker Jazz Gtrs

Offline uburoibob

Parker Jazz Gtrs
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007, 07:56:03 AM »
And it has non-locking tuning pegs.

Bob

1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail  â€¢ 1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue (thanks, Darren!) •  1998 Fly Classic in Cherry Red with DiBurro Roland Mod • Now on a signature reduction program! Just the Flies, maam. •  www.rtmadvertising.com
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

Parker Jazz Gtrs

Offline simonlock

Parker Jazz Gtrs
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 08:04:24 AM »
Is that right Bob...why do you think that is? The 54+strings fit in Sperzels locking mechanism?

Simon
Vancouver,BC

Parker Jazz Gtrs

Offline titanium667

• http://www.myspace.com/humankindness
Parker Jazz Gtrs
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2007, 10:10:40 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by simonlock

quote:
AndyVt

Yes it's true at first glance they appear very similar or even the same but once the details are revealed it's quite different. The differences that I am aware of are: All gold hardware and gold FRETS, different fret profiles, custom wound pickups that are only made for the Jazz, Hardtail bridge and I think it comes set up with 12s?

Wow Simon! A great description! I use 10's on mine but was it really designed to use 12's?
My wimpy fingers are hurting just thinking about it, although I bet it would sound great with 12's! [:)]

1999 Parker Fly Jazz

Parker Jazz Gtrs

Offline godindave

Parker Jazz Gtrs
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2007, 10:19:43 PM »
SO the new Jazz isn't up to Fly standards. Agreed that there's a disconnect here and it further confuses the OLD Parker brand image as a top quality instrument. AT LEAST they could offer a high-end OPTION for those of us who appreciate Fly-level. But they're not alone. Seems common as guitar luthiers become part of bigger, more ambitious "businesses" vs. luthiers. And it's not limited to guitar only people. Line6, in my view, makes some great, largely US made amps. Then they offer the Variax guitars that are much lower quality than the amps. The electronics are great, but the bodies & necks are low end. Many Variax people therefore end up swapping out the electronics --- one even used a Fly to hold the modelling electronics.

Parker Jazz Gtrs

Offline uburoibob

Parker Jazz Gtrs
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2007, 10:32:34 PM »
I only WISH I could find a Fly to retrofit the guts of my Variax 300 into. And I wish I had the skills to do it.

Bob

Parker Jazz Gtrs

Offline godindave

Parker Jazz Gtrs
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2007, 09:33:55 AM »
If you DO get a Fly for a Variax transplant, here's a serious warning --- no matter WHO does the work: the guy I read about who did that had major issues with the Fly body being too shallow. He ended up with a paper thin Fly bod in some spots. Maybe using one of the lower end, thicker body Parkers would be better?
Also, consider just putting a better bolt-on neck --- such as one from a bolton Parker -- onto the Variax. That's usually where players realize the most bang for the buck upgrade.

Parker Jazz Gtrs

Offline Dann Glenn

• http://www.dannglenn.com
Parker Jazz Gtrs
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2007, 01:05:43 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by godindave
the guy I read about who did that had major issues with the Fly body being too shallow.

Yeah, I've heard this as well.

Dann

Dann Glenn
Parker Guitarsâ„¢ Endorser
http://www.dannglenn.com