Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Any way to change pickup selector switch wiring?  (Read 8338 times)

Offline 908ssp

Any way to change pickup selector switch wiring?
« on: March 11, 2005, 06:13:54 PM »
I never use the out of phase or whatever you call the middle position on the selector switch. I want a blend of both pickups like on a LP. I have to change the front ribbon cable as it broke anyway so I am also replacing the pickups with the newer style. Anybody have a schematic for this change? I could rewire the whole thing and eliminate all the ribbon but I do like the Piezo and many of the lines run through the PCB.

1996 Parker Fly Deluxe
2004 Maven Peal Ganesha
2004 Marshall 4x12 Scumbag
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline kristian

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 01:16:04 PM »
You can find a wiring diagram for the original Fly circuit on the Parker website.  Go to "resources", then go to "downloads" and then go to "manuals".
Kristian Strom
Parker Guitars Repair Department

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 02:01:39 PM »
Thanks I ready got it. I will be the first I guess I will let you all know how it is done. Thanks for the reply.

1996 Parker Fly Deluxe
2004 Maven Peal Ganesha
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 01:31:15 PM »
Turns out this mod is a piece of cake simple to do and easily reversible. There are a pair of wires going from each pick-up to the selector switch just remove those paired wires from the switch. Keep them connected together and cover with a bit of tape or shrink wrap. Thats' it that is all there is to it. Now when you switch to the middle position you get both humbuckers on full just like a LP. [:D]

1996 Parker Fly Deluxe
1998 Parker Fly Classic
200? Parker NiteFly S/S/H
2004 Maven Peal Ganesha
Alex

Offline austin

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 09:40:02 PM »
I just changed the pickups in my (early) '99 Parker Deluxe to the new models and I did the mod to get full humbucking in the middle position at the same time. I think the pickups in general sound a bit better than the originals (it isn't a night and day difference to me though), and the middle position DEFINITELY sounds better now :).

-Austin

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2005, 11:35:45 PM »
Hey [:(!] Did you win those pickups off ebay just last week? I was bidding on a set and lost by a dollar.[:(]

Good for you I should have bid higher[:)]

1996 Parker Fly Deluxe
1998 Parker Fly Classic
2004 Maven Peal Ganesha
Alex

Offline austin

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2005, 08:58:56 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by 908ssp

Hey [:(!] Did you win those pickups off ebay just last week? I was bidding on a set and lost by a dollar.[:(]

Good for you I should have bid higher[:)]

Yup, that was me. I think my max bid was 90-something dollars, so don't feel too bad [:)]

-Austin

--
Early 99" Parker Fly Deluxe, upgraded with new model Dimarzios and full humbucking in the middle position

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2005, 11:18:48 AM »
Those were easily worth $100 I was just being smart (dumb) eBay is such weird game.

1996 Parker Fly Deluxe
1998 Parker Fly Classic
2004 Maven Peal Ganesha
Alex

Offline shadow

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2005, 06:43:24 PM »
quote:
Turns out this mod is a piece of cake simple to do and easily reversible. There are a pair of wires going from each pick-up to the selector switch just remove those paired wires from the switch. Keep them connected together and cover with a bit of tape or shrink wrap. Thats' it that is all there is to it. Now when you switch to the middle position you get both humbuckers on full just like a LP.

I have the version with the ribbon cable.  In the center position, in addition to only one coil on each pickup being active, the coils are out of phase with each other.  this is due to the way that the switch is wired.  Making this mdoification does give you both pickups using both coils, full humbucking, however, they are still out of phase.  If you were to rewire the neck pick up - tie the red and white together and cap them off, and land the black and green on the switch with the green on the ground side, you would have an even fuller warmer sound in the center position.[:D]

Robert

Offline LiquidAmber

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2005, 08:11:10 PM »
I only wish I could grow the balls to play operation on my Deluxe too : )

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2005, 10:11:16 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by shadow
[br
full humbucking, however, they are still out of phase. [:D]

Robert

Are you sure they don't sound out of phase. This is often reported on other guitars but is in fact untrue. Out of phase pickups in my experience never sound fatter then a single pickup while the mod I described does. I have done it on three Flys and the other player I did it for also said they sounded in phase. The fact that the pickups are separated creates a slight canceling as the string is moving in different directions at each pickup when the strings wave starts to breaking into harmonics of the fundamental.

1996 Parker Fly Deluxe
1998 Parker Fly Classic
2004 Maven Peal Ganesha
Alex

Offline shadow

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2005, 02:31:26 PM »
Well if you look at the wiring, you will see that on the bridge pickup, the black and white wires are tied together and the green is ground, and the red is hot.  Now look at the way the neck is wired up, you will see the black and green tied together, white and black are used as ground and hot.  Since DiMarzio winds all it's pickups in the same way, the color code is consistant between different pickup models.  This puts them out of phase with each other.  This is done intentionally bacause Parker wanted that thin out of phase sound for the center position of the selector switch just to give more variation in the tonal character between switch positions.  It is a simple modification to make, so try it.  If you don't like the results, it is easy enough to change back.[8D]

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2005, 10:37:53 PM »
Have you tried what you are recomending? Have you tried what I already did? I don't think they sound out of phase. In any case it sounds better now then it did before.

1996 Parker Fly Deluxe
1998 Parker Fly Classic
2004 Maven Peal Ganesha
Alex

Offline shadow

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2005, 12:33:55 PM »
No I haven't, since I actually use the center position thin sound on a song or two.  However, I will and I'll report back what I find.  It should be interesting.

I am no expert, I just have lots of experience wiring stuff and making these types of modificatins.  What about the electronics experts at the factory?  Is the stock wiring in or our of phase between the two pickups?  Can you guys enlighten us?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2005, 12:40:53 PM by shadow »

Offline austin

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2005, 04:07:46 PM »
I wired my middle position to be humbucking and it doesn't sound out of phase to me; however, I remember thinking that it was very weird that I wasn't working with the same colored wires on each pickup. Maybe these just have a thick out of phase sound? All I know is; it sounds good to me [:)]

-Austin

--
Early 99" Parker Fly Deluxe, upgraded with new model Dimarzios and full humbucking in the middle position