Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Engl Thunder 50 W head Tube amp  (Read 3729 times)

Offline aurian4parker

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 163
Engl Thunder 50 W head Tube amp
« on: February 18, 2007, 07:39:09 PM »
im pretty much set on the Engl Thunder 50 watt head.

but i have some questions.

when the site says its "2x8ohms or 2x16ohms"

is it still possible to run it through ONE 2x12 8ohm cab?



ALSO.


it says it has one gain knob, that is for all three channels(clean, crunch, lead)

is that a problem when im using the clean channel? even with the 2 buttom footswitch?

14 Yrs Old and A passion for Music.


-Parker P-44.(flamed top, yum)  
-Orange 30R.  
-Crappy tele.  
-kay acoustic.  
-kona acoustic.  
-Washburn XB100 Bass
=====================
Just funkin' around :)



amp info- Fender Stage 100 1x12 combo stacked on a Vintage Gretsch 2x12 cab

Engl Thunder 50 W head Tube amp

Offline JSanta

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1606
Engl Thunder 50 W head Tube amp
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 12:08:26 AM »
To answer your question about the Ohm rating, if I remember correctly you can always go down so that shouldn't be a problem, but I am certain someone that is more knowledgible will be able to answer that better.  
From the reviews I have read it seems that even if you have the gain at 2 o'clock the cleans are still crystal clear.  So from everything that I have read you shouldn't have a single problem as far as that's concerned.  I haven't played through one personally though, but from what it sounds like you should be very happy.


/jim

"Do not speak.  Unless it improves on silence."
           -Buddha
 

Engl Thunder 50 W head Tube amp

Offline aurian4parker

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 163
Engl Thunder 50 W head Tube amp
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 06:06:15 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by JSanta

To answer your question about the Ohm rating, if I remember correctly you can always go down so that shouldn't be a problem, but I am certain someone that is more knowledgible will be able to answer that better.  
From the reviews I have read it seems that even if you have the gain at 2 o'clock the cleans are still crystal clear.  So from everything that I have read you shouldn't have a single problem as far as that's concerned.  I haven't played through one personally though, but from what it sounds like you should be very happy.


/jim

"Do not speak.  Unless it improves on silence."
           -Buddha

thats the thing man.  i need as much gain as these guys "www.myspace.com/scalethesummit"

and if im playing clean and distorted, i dont want my clean to have the slitest bit of gain. that stinks :(  but i mean, i have my little fender amp. with one gain knob and even if its up at ten it wont effect the clean sound.

14 Yrs Old and A passion for Music.


-Parker P-44.(flamed top, yum)  
-Orange 30R.  
-Crappy tele.  
-kay acoustic.  
-kona acoustic.  
-Washburn XB100 Bass
=====================
Just funkin' around :)



amp info- Fender Stage 100 1x12 combo stacked on a Vintage Gretsch 2x12 cab

Engl Thunder 50 W head Tube amp

Offline rt0412

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1584
Engl Thunder 50 W head Tube amp
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 06:52:28 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by aurian4parker

im pretty much set on the Engl Thunder 50 watt head.

but i have some questions.

when the site says its "2x8ohms or 2x16ohms"

is it still possible to run it through ONE 2x12 8ohm cab?

As per schematic diagram & user manual, it can drive a single 16-ohm speaker or 2 X 8-ohm speaker connected in series or 1 8-ohm speaker or 2 X 16-ohm speaker in parallel.

To answer your question, yes it will drive a 2X12 8-ohm cab. It doesn't matter whether your 2X12 is composed of parallel connected 16-ohm speakers or series connected 4-ohm speakers... it will appear as an 8-ohm speaker to the amplifier.
 

Engl Thunder 50 W head Tube amp

Offline JSanta

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1606
Engl Thunder 50 W head Tube amp
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 11:38:37 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by aurian4parker

quote:
Originally posted by JSanta

To answer your question about the Ohm rating, if I remember correctly you can always go down so that shouldn't be a problem, but I am certain someone that is more knowledgible will be able to answer that better.  
From the reviews I have read it seems that even if you have the gain at 2 o'clock the cleans are still crystal clear.  So from everything that I have read you shouldn't have a single problem as far as that's concerned.  I haven't played through one personally though, but from what it sounds like you should be very happy.


/jim

"Do not speak.  Unless it improves on silence."
           -Buddha

thats the thing man.  i need as much gain as these guys "www.myspace.com/scalethesummit"

and if im playing clean and distorted, i dont want my clean to have the slitest bit of gain. that stinks :(  but i mean, i have my little fender amp. with one gain knob and even if its up at ten it wont effect the clean sound.

14 Yrs Old and A passion for Music.


-Parker P-44.(flamed top, yum)  
-Orange 30R.  
-Crappy tele.  
-kay acoustic.  
-kona acoustic.  
-Washburn XB100 Bass




Then I think it would be up to you to try to amplifier before you purchase it.  I have only used the Powerball and that amp has a bone-crushing distortion.  I know that band's music, they have sent me links a few times on myspace and I'm friends with your teacher on there as well so I know kind of what you are looking at.  Ask your teacher too, see what he recommends.  


/jim

"Do not speak.  Unless it improves on silence."
           -Buddha
 

Engl Thunder 50 W head Tube amp

Offline james ha

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 24
Engl Thunder 50 W head Tube amp
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 01:45:30 PM »
from what i understand the lower the resistance that a tube amp sees from a speaker load the easier it is for said tube amp to crank out the watts, and if the speaker resistance is too low you run a risk of burning up some part of said tube amp. i was told not to have a speaker load lower than 4ohms on my old fender quad-reverb (basically a twin reverb w/4-12's) or it would "get too excited and have a heart attack".
if you have 2 8ohm speakers wired in series that will make a load of 16ohms. but if you wire these 2 8ohm speakers in parallel that will make a load of 4ohms. if you then plug 2 cabinets into your head they will be in parallel so if they are both 4ohm loads you might then have a collective load of only 2ohms. your amp would be xtra LOUD but it might not live very long.
i'm not sure how accurate this info is. maybe someone else on this forum will spell it out properly.
ha.
 

Engl Thunder 50 W head Tube amp

Offline rt0412

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1584
Engl Thunder 50 W head Tube amp
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 09:31:11 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by james ha

from what i understand the lower the resistance that a tube amp sees from a speaker load the easier it is for said tube amp to crank out the watts, and if the speaker resistance is too low you run a risk of burning up some part of said tube amp. i was told not to have a speaker load lower than 4ohms on my old fender quad-reverb (basically a twin reverb w/4-12's) or it would "get too excited and have a heart attack".
if you have 2 8ohm speakers wired in series that will make a load of 16ohms. but if you wire these 2 8ohm speakers in parallel that will make a load of 4ohms. if you then plug 2 cabinets into your head they will be in parallel so if they are both 4ohm loads you might then have a collective load of only 2ohms. your amp would be xtra LOUD but it might not live very long.
i'm not sure how accurate this info is. maybe someone else on this forum will spell it out properly.
ha.

I did spell it out properly, you're the one who is confused. He did say that it's a 2X12 8-ohm cab... he didn't say it's a cab with 2 8-ohms 12" speakers. So, it being an 8-ohm cab with two speakers, means that either it's got 2 16-ohm speakers connected in parallel or 2 4-ohm speakers connected in series. Either combination gives you an 8-ohm cab.
 

Engl Thunder 50 W head Tube amp

Offline james ha

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 24
Engl Thunder 50 W head Tube amp
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 11:28:31 PM »
""I did spell it out properly, you're the one who is confused.""

right, thanx for that.
am i correct about the danger of having too little of a speaker load on a tube amp? that is what i was hoping someone else on this forum would spell out properly.
i didn't mean 'someone else besides you' in regards to the cabinet for the Engl Thunder 50 watt head. sorry.
 

Engl Thunder 50 W head Tube amp

Offline 908ssp

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6365
Engl Thunder 50 W head Tube amp
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 08:11:14 AM »
On most tube amps it is best to match the impedance to the output setting. Any mismatch can be detrimental on some amps and some amps can take a lot of mismatch so if you don't know if your amps can do it don't. If the impedance is too too high you can get flash back and ruin the output transformer and if the impedance is too low you can draw too much current for the output tubes and burn those up. Transistor amps are totally different animals.

[^]

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG