Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Using Melodic Minor  (Read 8586 times)

Offline simonlock

Using Melodic Minor
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2007, 05:31:20 PM »
It's indispensible Lawrence and very reasonably priced. If you're PC and resourceful it's VERY easy to get [;)]

Simon
Vancouver,BC

'00 Parker Fly Supreme-Butterscotch
'06 Parker Nylon Fly(thanks Jamie!)
'99 Parker Fly Artist w/Ken Parker signature
'06 Parker Fly Mojo-T/Cherry
'06 Parker Fly Classic-Dusty Black
'99 Parker Fly Classic-Natural
'98 Parker FlY Classic-Trans Blue(coming soon)

Using Melodic Minor

Offline Lwinn171

Using Melodic Minor
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2007, 10:01:35 PM »
Cool, thanks Bob and Simon. I'll dig around, see what comes up.

Lawrence Winn
You can hear me playing and see my woodworks at:
http://www.myspace.com/132917993
"42.7 percent of all statistics are made-up on the spot."
2001 Fly Classic, Green
Larivee Parlour Guitar
Several inferior others
Mesa Boogie MK IV
Marshall 2-12 cab

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic, 98 Deluxe
various amps, various toys

Using Melodic Minor

Offline prjacobs

Using Melodic Minor
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2007, 06:35:26 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by prjacobs

Hi all,  Just to add my 2 cents.  Emotionally, musically, we needed to have the IV and V chords be major.  Life was just too sad with only the minor IV and V chords of the natural minor.  To me, that defines the melodic minor.  That's why it pulls you in a different way than the natural minor.  It gives you hope...  You can wander off here and there, but you still come back to major IV, major V, and I.  It's also nice to have that half step going from 7 to 8.   Of course, being jewish, the harmonic minor enabled me to be bar mitzvahed.  
   I just saw an exhibit of Mozart's original manuscripts in New York.  The amazing thing about Mozart is that he never crossed out or changed a note of ANYTHING that he wrote.  He wrote it once and it was done.  The only notes crossed out in his music, were on a piece he wrote when he was 5, and his father changed them, not him.  Talk about channeling!
   Bach literally wrote the book on chromaticism, in a time when the tempered scale was new.  I don't know if anyone's played on a non tempered keyboard, but it's quite different from the major keys we all know.  You can't modulate, it stinks! Some synths have a non tempered scale option, check it out....  
   For me comparing Bach and Mozart is like saying, "I like inhaling better than exhaling," but I feel that baroque music is at the core religious and classical music more architectural. I'll take Bach in my final hours.... maybe:)

Using Melodic Minor

Offline splitfinger

• http://www.myspace.com/matick
Using Melodic Minor
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2007, 08:12:59 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by cmpkllyrslf96

For your quick change dilemma:

Personally, I've never used modes over quick changes. It gets too frustrating and flustering. I can understand the application of the melodic minor scale and it's corresponding modes, however, when faced with quick changes such as phrases that fly by in 2 bars, or even half a bar, I like to outline important tones in the chord that really make it stand out... you know maybe with some chromatic stuff, interesting arpeggios etc. With those quick changes it's not as hard as one would think to develop a witty phrase and connect it to the next intimidating chord =).

Lwinn makes a very good point "It is a means to get to the place where you no longer use it."

I agree

Using Melodic Minor

Offline memegtr

Using Melodic Minor
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2007, 02:03:59 AM »
i would love to have the fake book in that format.....im tired of lousy midi files i found...jaja...thanx

Using Melodic Minor

Offline magnummike71

Using Melodic Minor
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2007, 06:19:25 PM »
Every minor has a relative major and the melodic minor will sound nicely if it corresponds to the proper major. The key is the relative minor is the sixth scale degree of the scale. cmaj-amin etc. if you are playing a minor scale, go up three frets to find the relative major. Emin...G. Both emin and Gmaj have one sharp, f#.

96 Fly Deluxe Hardtail
00 Larrivee P03
97 Tak FP360sc
96 Fly Deluxe Hardtail
94 custom strat hardtail (chambered)
00 Larrivee P03
Garrison G1220
97 Tak FP360sc

Using Melodic Minor

Offline simonlock

Using Melodic Minor
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2007, 12:45:23 AM »
Melodic minor doesn't correspond to the major scale.

Simon
Vancouver,BC

Using Melodic Minor

Offline magnummike71

Using Melodic Minor
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2007, 05:01:39 AM »
My sincerest apologies Simon. I misspoke as I was not carefully reading what was posted.

96 Fly Deluxe Hardtail
00 Larrivee P03
97 Tak FP360sc
96 Fly Deluxe Hardtail
94 custom strat hardtail (chambered)
00 Larrivee P03
Garrison G1220
97 Tak FP360sc