Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Playing Above the 12th Fret  (Read 6206 times)

Offline magnummike71

Playing Above the 12th Fret
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2007, 02:44:11 PM »
I'm with Simon on this one. My pinky is stronger than my ring finger. When I go above the fifteenth fret, my playing gets sloppy because I use all of my fingers. Being a bass player for the first half of my string instument career, it has never been a problem. I am going to try the three finger method. This is the first I have heard it being used, but it makes a lot of sense.
96 Fly Deluxe Hardtail
94 custom strat hardtail (chambered)
00 Larrivee P03
Garrison G1220
97 Tak FP360sc

Offline jamrcat

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2007, 08:33:50 PM »
I have very fat (banana) fingers. It is one of the things that people notice first about me. Being a keyboardist and guitarist, it has been a handicap. I started using my pinky very young. When I'm above the 15th fret I usually go to my index finger and middle finger for the bulk of my playing, though triplets and scales I still use all fours! One of the main reasons I fell in love with my Parker Fly is the ability to play higher with more distinction and speed! [^]

01' Parker Fly Classic "Natural" w/SD Black Backs (Thanks Jay)
93' Parker Fly Deluxe hardtail RP "Blackie" KP Signature (Thank You! Bob & Ken)
2FlyBob (Thanks Paul!)

jamrcat
Butte, Montana
"A Fly for each hand!"

Offline Andi

• http://www.monkeyfx.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2007, 03:32:57 AM »
I try not to play above the 12th fret; it's morally and artistically indefensible. ;)

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2007, 02:06:46 PM »
quote:
Does anyone switch to using there index,middle,ring fingers instead of the usual patterns when playing 3 notes per string shapes above the 12th fret?

Yes, I do. I used to do it before on anything below the 12th fret, too. But that was before I cleaned up my act. OK, well I still use only three fingers for pentatonics/blues scale 95% of the time. [:I]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams

Offline ZenFly

• http://www.dpopro.com
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2007, 10:44:35 AM »
I use all of them depending on the need. I use my pinky on triplet patterns that are similar to "Van Halen" type hammeron patterns instead of using the right hand/finger hammer on. Sometimes starting a riff/scale with the pinky can be interesting. And Arpeggios  often start with the pinky.

'99 Parker Fly Classic w RMC mod
'99 Parker Fly Classic w RMC mod

'05 Mojo