Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ken Parker Archtop Soundclips  (Read 6445 times)

Offline loumt123

Ken Parker Archtop Soundclips
« on: February 23, 2007, 10:54:04 PM »

Offline tildeslash

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 11:15:55 PM »
aaaammmmaaaazzzziiiinnnngggggg
amazing

Offline WKG

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 11:42:38 PM »
Wow, sounds very nice, even on my laptop speakers.

2005 Fly Mojo, Dusty black
2005 Fly Mojo, Japanese Armor (AKA Alien Purple Burst)

Offline astroturf52

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 12:04:39 AM »
Very loud, bright and sparkling tone. Easily the most beautiful sounding acoustic guitar I've heard...maybe ever! BRILLIANT
2005 Parker P36 in transparent red (modified)

Offline jamrcat

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 01:31:21 AM »
I love the tones from Ken's Archtop. I noticed how evenly clear and balanced the tones overall were produced. This is definetly a guitar I'd love to spend alot of time with! [:p][:p][:p]

01' Parker Fly Classic w/SD Black Backs
Korg AX1500G, D-Tar Mama Bear

jamrcat
Butte, Montana
"A Fly for each hand!"

Offline blancacat

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 02:04:24 AM »
Maybe some of my $investments$ will pan out.  Years in the offing, I'm afraid.  Hey, maybe I could convince my wife it IS and investment.  Nah.

99 Classic--thanks Simon
60 LP reissue
00 Strat Deluxe
Alvarez Yairi dy84
Carvin AC 375
Fender Cybertwin
Carvin Belair
99 Classic--thanks Simon
60 LP reissue
00 Strat Deluxe
Alvarez Yairi dy84
Modulus Genesis
Genz Benz Black Pearl
Siegmund Midnite Special

Offline cy2989

• http://chrisyoungportraits.com
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 07:22:46 AM »
I respect your opinions very much, but I'm struggling a little bit with believing this is the best sounding acoustic guitar I've ever heard.  I must say it's not even in the top ten for me.  The trebles are pretty and chime nicely but the bass sounds dull.  I know this is an archtop and I shouldn't expect the same kind of sound I would from a great finger style guitar but it is in a very high price range.  My expectations are also high.  It's beautiful to look at though.

Offline BB12

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 07:49:58 AM »
I'm with Chris on this one.
The craftsmanship is wonderful, in fact I can't find enough superlatives to describe it's appearance.
But the sound, to my ear, is not in the same class at all.
I suppose it needs to be heard in a live situation to make a final judgement.
Suffice to say that I am disappointed, and will stick with my old archtop.

André
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 07:52:01 AM by BB12 »

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 07:50:03 AM »
Hey Chris,

I know I haven't gone public with this, but I got a chance to play Ken's archtop about a month ago. It's a VERY different instrument. Easily the loudest acoustic guitar I've ever heard - maybe louder than any banjo I've heard. The sound is indeed different. As an archtop, the woof that comes from a flattop is intended to be diminished so that the overall balance of the guitar, high-to-low, is in line. And it is just about perfectly balanced. That said, it is a bright instrument, overall and is wicked responsive. The notes leap off the guitar almost before you play them. The dynamic range is also astounding - you can play as delicately as you like and find harmonics, fundamentals and sustain in more depth than you are used to, but you can also hammer it, still have those things and fill the room with sound.

When I walked into the room, there were three guitar players and an upright bass player making music. The sound of the Olive Branch was so intense, I thought it was amplified. It took me a full minute to realize that it wasn't.

The sound clips are definitely representative of the guitar but are done in a way that don't embellish the sound - more like an attempt to document it. The thing they don't capture, that would typically be taken care of in miking technique and post production, is the presence of the guitar in the room and the experience of hearing it live with your ears. This sort of thing is where the art of recording comes in, as there is seldom the instance where you throw a mic in front of something and it sounds exactly as it should... Think of these recordings as aural journalism - simply capturing the guitar in a relative manner. Having heard and played it in person, I can hear that this is Ken's guitar without a doubt, but it really is only a small part of the experience of hearing and playing it.

Like most complex things, this guitar holds a lot for you to discover about its sound - but when you do, you hear things that are just magnificent. For instance, if you are listening with speakers that let you hear what's really going on in the bottom end of the guitar, you will hear bass there that usually gets obscured by the nearest harmonic woof...

The real kick is when you play it, and have control of making those wonderful new sounds and feels and get to make them work for you. There's really nothing like it.

Sound like the experience of playing any ridiculously lightweight electric guitars we know of?

So, I still stand by my offer to time share a Ken Parker archtop - 30 of us could chip in $1000 each and own it. I'd get it for the first year...

Bob

1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail  â€¢ 1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue (thanks, Darren!) •  1998 Fly Classic in Cherry Red with DiBurro Roland Mod • Now on a signature reduction program! Just the Flies, maam. •  www.rtmadvertising.com
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 10:30:03 AM by uburoibob »
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

Offline cy2989

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 08:19:12 AM »
"So, I still stand by my offer to time share a Ken Parker archtop - 30 of us could chip in $1000 each and own it. I'd get it for the first year..."

[:)]  I don't want to be one of the last...I won't live that long.  Bob, I know you know your stuff and your review of the guitar goes a long way with me.  I'm going to listen to the samples again through my AKG K240's but it sounds like you have to experience this guitar live.  And that brings me to the question...how in the world did you get to play this guitar???  YOu must share this story with us.

Update:  I listened to the some of the samples again through my studio headphones and I guess what bothers me is that the bass end seems to lack immediacy.  It might be the playing (which sounds fantastic) but for example I have a Huss & Dalton CM, small body steel string that is a wonderful jazz guitar.  The low E is crisp and fast to respond. I love a bright sounding guitar, in fact I demand it but I'm just not hearing the balance you describe.  Maybe my ears are just not used to this kind of guitar.  I wish I had more experience with archtops.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 08:33:49 AM by cy2989 »

Offline uburoibob

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2007, 08:29:01 AM »
It's a simple story Chris. Ken is an old friend, and we've recently reconnected. He invited me down to visit and play his new guitar. He's a fiercly private person and I respect that. So, I've very specifically shyed away from mentioning it here. I really like just being a regular part of this community. But I had to speak up here, because this guitar is just so unique in its construction and voice that I have to try and make sure everyone understands that.

As far as the time share, I think Lou is the youngest archtop enthusiast...

Bob

1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail  â€¢ 1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue (thanks, Darren!) •  1998 Fly Classic in Cherry Red with DiBurro Roland Mod • Now on a signature reduction program! Just the Flies, maam. •  www.rtmadvertising.com
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

Offline loumt123

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2007, 08:38:39 AM »
Is Mr. Parker currently working on other models/design ideas? I'm interested to see what else he comes up with [:)]

Offline cy2989

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2007, 08:58:37 AM »
Bob,

Thanks for sharing that story with us.  What are some of your impressions about the design features?  I was wondering if the sound vent would be in the way of your arm at all?  What allows the guitar to be so light in weight?

Offline uburoibob

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2007, 10:08:50 AM »
The sound vent was not in the way of my arm at all. It's just about perfectly positioned.

Here is a photo of me playing the guitar:

The ability to raise and lower the action with the key on the back, thus bringing the entire neck up and down, is VERY cool. As Ken indicates on his page - this doesn't affect the pitch of the guitar at all.

Ken's construction, which I won't get into cuz I am ignorant about it, is what permits the guitar to be this light. He's been working on designing to reduce weight and increase resonance and response forever. The Fly is an example. So, thinness of wood, bracing, etc, etc all contribute (I hope I am right on that).

It's pretty cool. When you see the guitar, and then pick it up, it actually feels lighter than air. The only people here who can really appreciate the experience are you, Chris, and Mr. Dana. I'd have to put those bronze cedars at well under 4lbs. Maybe under 3.

As I said, the real kick is in playing the guitar and having it respond to you. It is, quite literally, like no other guitar I've ever played, in that respect. It becomes a part of you, rather than an instrument in your hands. It's so hard to describe, but the Fly is not unlike that experience. Think of the Fly, with all of its uniqueness, as an archtop guitar, and you are headed in the right direction.

Bob

Offline uburoibob

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2007, 10:11:24 AM »
Lou,

Keep an eye on Ken's page for news.

Bob