Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: For the gigging musician  (Read 2922 times)

Offline loumt123

For the gigging musician
« on: February 24, 2007, 08:46:51 AM »
My guitar teacher taught me this cool trick that comes in handy. So you're in a cover band or something of the like. Your vocalist can't sing in this key as her voice strains (I know...tired but true). You need to communicate the correct key and progression to your bandmates.

First comes the key. Put the amount of fingers up for the number of sharps, or point them down for the number of flats for the key. You can use both hands. C is a closed fist.

For the progression your right hand communicates the roman numerals of the chord. 6 and 7 are 1 or 2 fingers pointing down.  for example a 1 6 2 5 progression. One finger up, followed by one finger pointing down, followed by two fingers up, followed by 5 fingers up.

It's nothing too special but I've seen it used live and it seems to work.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 08:47:53 AM by loumt123 »

For the gigging musician

Offline Yoyo

For the gigging musician
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 05:35:04 PM »
Good idea though over here holding up two fingers can get you into trouble.
The only thing that exists is this moment now.

For the gigging musician

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
For the gigging musician
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 10:21:28 AM »
that method involves learning something.  i've always thought that "....NO!  3 frets UP"  works better!

2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!
2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo signed by Steve Vai, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!

For the gigging musician

Offline JSanta

For the gigging musician
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 10:20:10 PM »
Haha, that's what we used to do at shows David, but out language was usually a bit more profane and sometimes ended with an angry me haha.

/jim

"Do not speak.  Unless it improves on silence."
           -Buddha

For the gigging musician

Offline Lwinn171

For the gigging musician
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 12:48:27 AM »
This method would cause at least one of my bandmates to steal second, the others would probably bunt. Great musicians to a soul, but they don't think in terms of the number of accidentals in a key. Must be a crack group that can manage such a thing. We usually use our ears and some direct line of sight (fretboard), and of course, lots of practice. I wouldn't let a singer decide to change keys on the spot. It would be rehearsed in the proper key (whatever that may be, or god forbid, B flat), and some simple notation on the setlist would clue you in to key. Seriously, they'd never get it, and neither would I.[:D][:D][:D]

Lawrence Winn
You can hear me playing and see my woodworks at:
http://www.myspace.com/132917993
"42.7 percent of all statistics are made-up on the spot."
2001 Fly Classic, Green
Larivee Parlour Guitar
Several inferior others
Mesa Boogie MK IV
Marshall 2-12 cab
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 12:49:30 AM by Lwinn171 »

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic, 98 Deluxe
various amps, various toys

For the gigging musician

Offline bno

For the gigging musician
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007, 02:14:48 PM »
I've heard that Paul Schafer can direct the whole band with hand signals that indicate keys and chord changes and they can do it on the fly.  Its musician's sign language.

Hand signals are great.  Raised fist for the end of a song, dynamics signals, cues for solos, etc.  What Lou is talking about is pretty sophisticated and works well when your players are trained and can think of music as relationships, i.e., I IV V vs. C F G.  Like everything else, it takes practice.
'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.

For the gigging musician

Offline thegrigg

• http://www.wldcard.com
For the gigging musician
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 02:47:23 PM »
My guys aren't that smart. Me either. I wish the bass player would look up once in a while.
All in all we have a great time! If not perfect.
The worste thing a band can be is boring!
Just a thought...
98 Parker Fly Classic, Cheap Strat, White JEM, 68 Paul, Peavy JSX head, Marshall 1960A cab.
Us old guys don't know when to stop!
http://WWW.WLDCARD.COM

For the gigging musician

Offline jamrcat

For the gigging musician
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 08:41:00 PM »
My wife and I improvise alot while playing (She's a drummer). I never realized how much we communicate with nods and gestures until one of our singers pointed out, she had broken the code! [:D] I never started out thinking of a code, but 30 years of making music together has it's benefits! [;)]

01' Parker Fly Classic "Natural" w/SD Black Backs (Thanks Jay)
93' Parker Fly Deluxe hardtail RP "Blackie" KP Signature (Thank You! Bob & Ken)
2FlyBob (Thanks Paul!)

jamrcat
Butte, Montana
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 08:42:58 PM by jamrcat »
"A Fly for each hand!"