Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What I've learned  (Read 2143 times)

Offline loumt123

What I've learned
« on: December 18, 2007, 07:54:04 PM »
This is just an observation, but I feel it's completely worth mentioning. If you ever plan to play jazz guitar, learn the blues first. I've been pondering the thought that if I have been taught blues, or studied it to some degree, improv would not have been so difficult as it had first been, and I may have not had such a difficult time with that first stepping stone in improvisation.

In conclusion; learn the blues, and learn it well!

Just figured that was worth sharing [8D]
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 07:59:10 PM by loumt123 »

What I've learned

Offline bno

What I've learned
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 08:21:34 PM »
Amen
'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.

What I've learned

Offline Yoyo

What I've learned
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 06:25:14 AM »
Yeh Lou, it's the cornerstone of so much that happened musically. By the way I love your Eastman.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 06:26:24 AM by Yoyo »
The only thing that exists is this moment now.

What I've learned

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
What I've learned
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 09:11:42 AM »
how to learn the blues?  the quickest way is to try to make a living playing jazz!![:D]

2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!
2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo signed by Steve Vai, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!

What I've learned

Offline Yoyo

What I've learned
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 06:03:05 PM »
Good one DT.
The only thing that exists is this moment now.

What I've learned

Offline Hucbald

• http://hucbald.blogspot.com/
What I've learned
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 11:53:43 PM »
Astute observation.  American popular music has three points of origin: The Western Classical tradition, the Scots-Irish tradition, and the negro spirituals that lead to the blues. All early jazz was blues based, and a lot of bebop tunes are just twelve-bar blues with more sophisticated changes and a swing feel.  Country music (and Bluegrass) has the Scots-Irish background, but by the time you get to The Texas Playboys' country swing and Hank Williams Sr. it was mixed with the blues (I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry is one of my all-time favorite BLUES tunes).  Rock and roll started as R&B.  Early Elvis is blues based rock.  Early Led Zeppelin had a lot of blues tunes in their sets.  George Gershwin took the ragtime version of the blues and mixed in with a classical approach to composing and orchestrating.  My favorite example: Pink Floyd. Shine On You Crazy Diamond is just a blues slowed waaaaaay down.  Brilliant.

But, at the root of all American/Anglosphere music these days - music that has been hybridized for many decades - is the blues.  The first thing I teach my students is a basic twelve bar blues.  Then I teach them a swing blues, a country blues, and a rock blues shuffle.  Finally, I teach them a Charlie Parker twelve bar bebop blues piece.  By that time they have developed an intuitive ear for improvisation, and so learning to memorize chord changes and play through them "harmelodically" is much easier.

Cheers,

George

Ars longa, vita brevis: Carpe diem!
BM, Berklee
MM, Texas State
Ars longa, vita brevis: Carpe diem!
http://www.georgealtonpepper.com/live/

What I've learned

Offline ckyvick

What I've learned
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 10:59:58 PM »
what does Carpe diem mean? i heard it somewhere before.

huc... you forgot to mention that all modern music came from the middle east...

What I've learned

Offline mojotron

• http://www.mojotronics.com
What I've learned
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 11:35:09 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by ckyvick

what does Carpe diem mean? i heard it somewhere before.

huc... you forgot to mention that all modern music came from the middle east...

'Seize the day'... make the most of your day... play a parker every day... [:D]

Definately - play blues first. To learn to improvize you must start with changes that are harmonically simple - stick to one blues scale key. Blues is all over the map - Robert Cray, Cream, SRV are interesting.

When you are ready, start playing stuff like Carlton's 'Saphire Blue' or Bensen's 'Breezin' or Johnson's 'Venus Isle'recordings.

Then, Pass, Metheny, Kenny Burell, di Meola and other jazzier stuff will seem more intuitive to play.