Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What's Your Favorite Progression  (Read 5914 times)

Offline Pablo Monti

What's Your Favorite Progression
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2007, 08:48:16 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by cmpkllyrslf96

you can substitute a ii chord with the ii chord that's relative to the new dominant chord. so you're basically substituting the ii with a ii a tritone away.

Nice explanation about it.

Offline mountaindewaddict

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2007, 04:31:34 PM »
My favorite progression is the one that makes everyone else in the band say, "Yeahhh!" and nod their heads up and down like Wayne and Garth!

MountainDewAddict

Gear:
Parker P-44, Ibanez GAX 70, Takamine G-Series,  Digitech GNX4, Yamaha Magicstomp, Crate Powerblock 150, Various other assorted pedals and gizmos

"Remember, if at first you don't succeed, you're doing it wrong."

God Bless!
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!

Offline aurian4parker

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2007, 10:20:47 PM »
I have an obsession with V II chords :(. and single noting them..

=====================
15 years old with a passion for music. i wanna go to BERKLEE MANNNNNN

amp info- Fender Stage 100 1x12 combo stacked on a Vintage Gretsch 2x12 cab
=====================
Just funkin' around :)

amp info- Fender Stage 100 1x12 combo stacked on a Vintage Gretsch 2x12 cab

Offline loumt123

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2007, 10:24:10 AM »
what you said doesn't quite make sense

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2007, 06:14:41 AM »
haven't analysed it yet but if you listen to Adrian Legg's "Tracy's big moment" then that's it.  It goes just where you expect it but is hooky, too.  When he supported Satch on tour, Joe used to run out of the dressing room to stageside to hear it cos he thought it was beautiful too.

2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!
2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo signed by Steve Vai, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2007, 03:39:08 PM »
Since this thread is back, front and center, I will submit that I love the progression in Angel Eyes - both for the verse and the chorus.

The progression in Cherokee is cool and demanding. I love the chords to Spain. And I have been trying to figure out Giant Steps for years (I know the chords - trying to figure out WHY!),

Bob

1997 Parker Fly Concert Burnt Butterscotch  â€¢  1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Cherry Red with DiBurro Roland Mod •  http://bobmartin1111.com
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

Offline loumt123

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2007, 04:17:27 PM »
Cherokee is killer...Now I'm tempted to go figure out Giant Steps. If I get a few minutes I'll take a look

Offline uburoibob

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2007, 09:36:33 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by cmpkllyrslf96

...If I get a few minutes I'll take a look (re: Giant Steps)

LOL!!!

Bob

1997 Parker Fly Concert Burnt Butterscotch  â€¢  1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Cherry Red with DiBurro Roland Mod •  http://bobmartin1111.com
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

Offline loumt123

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2007, 11:06:40 PM »
Yes I'm well aware it's a difficult tune. Here is what I am gathering from a quick glance (I could be wrong...It's definitely interesting and I want to look at it more in depth).

It looks as if it's weaving in and out of a few different keys. The first chord, the B maj7 looks like it's there because of the two chords at the end of the tune...that's a ii V into the B maj7. I might be wrong here but I think it changes key a few times in the middle of measures ( a bit odd?) the D7 and Gmaj7 indicate G major for that fraction of time, and then it seems as if that pattern is continued with the Bb7 and Eb maj7 chords indicating a change into the key of Eb major. It then looks like G major for another bar and a half, then changes back to Eb major. It changes to B major on the next F#7. When the song reaches the Fm7 we're in Eb major again. The Am7 starts us in G major and we end on the C#m7 and F#7 that leads us back into B major. Then we repeat the mess all over again [8D]. That seems to be the jist of it. I'm not sure, off the top of my head, how it would be indicated in roman numerals. I might try it later if I feel like getting a good headache...it'd be a rewarding challenge, though, that's for sure.

I'm not quite sure why it works...though I did notice the keys are all a major 3rd apart. Eb to G, G to B. I don't know if that makes any musical sense...and I can't say I'm familiar with any "rules" that say something like that is a typical in music. Maybe it's just one of those rarities that sounds killer. If anyone has something to add please do...I'd like to know if I'm on spot or if I'm missing something.

Offline uburoibob

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2007, 11:35:34 PM »
Hey Lou,

There are a lot of ways to approach it. Joe Diorio has an entire volume on disassembling Giant Steps. When I was 18, I tried arpeggiating the whole tune using 4-note chords. It was an eye opener for me then, although right now I don't remeber why - but done that way it made so much sense at the time.

I wasn't laughing at you tackling it - I was laughing at the 'few minutes' part. I thought you were making a joke. There are people who've devoted their lives to unlocking this song.

You are on the right track breaking down the chords. Take another look at how they break down melodically within the progression (I think that's where the arpeggiation helped so long ago). There are things happening on more than one level here. Also, listen to how Coltane solos over it.

Bob

Offline loumt123

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2007, 01:57:30 PM »
yea It's probably something I'll look at over a period of time...it's probably one of those things that makes more sense the more you toy with it or as you learn more or a combination of both. Either way I'm looking forward to learning some more.

Offline uburoibob

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2007, 09:55:27 PM »
As you begin to explore a little more, you'll find that just about every great jazz musician regards Giant Steps as the most challenging piece of music ever written for improvisation.

Bob

Offline bembamboo

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2008, 09:46:45 PM »
Uh, I suppose EAB?!  Elvis