Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gigging 101... Some thoughts...  (Read 7090 times)

Offline Lwinn171

Gigging 101... Some thoughts...
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2007, 09:09:49 PM »
Oh yeah, I just thought of something else. If you can, wash your hands before you go on. They'll be filthy from setting up (handling all those cables and gear, etc...) and warm water will naturally lossen up the muscles and joints, making you ready to "FLY". Don't soak 'em long enough to soften your calluses, just warm and clean... Plus, if you tour, you should wash your hands constantly, or you'll sread the flu across 5 states in two weeks (and have the flu for the rest of your touring career).[8D]

Lawrence Winn
You can hear me playing and see my woodworks at:
http://www.myspace.com/132917993
"42.7 percent of all statistics are made-up on the spot."
2001 Fly Classic, Green
Larivee Parlour Guitar
Several inferior others
Mesa Boogie MK IV
Marshall 2-12 cab
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 09:11:25 PM by Lwinn171 »

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic, 98 Deluxe
various amps, various toys

Offline bno

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2007, 08:39:14 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Lwinn171

Oh yeah, I just thought of something else. If you can, wash your hands before you go on. They'll be filthy from setting up (handling all those cables and gear, etc...) and warm water will naturally lossen up the muscles and joints, making you ready to "FLY". Don't soak 'em long enough to soften your calluses, just warm and clean... Plus, if you tour, you should wash your hands constantly, or you'll sread the flu across 5 states in two weeks (and have the flu for the rest of your touring career).[8D]
+1.  
This also ties back to not letting anyone touch your gear - I really hate it when someone with sweaty, sticky hands gets their goo all over my guitars or keyboards.
'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.

Offline thegrigg

• http://www.wldcard.com
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2007, 05:55:43 PM »
Around the Jacksonville, FL area we let local (friends/bandmembers) sit in a lot. It makes for a fun show and the audience seems to love it. That said, we don't let drunks sit in. It makes playing this area a lot of fun and builds a network. We find ourselves giveing gigs we can't do to other bands and receiving some too! Drunk + guitar/bass/keys/drums = no good. We lost a drummer to alchohol last year. (not dead just not playing anymore)
All the suggestions are great, by the way!
98 Parker Fly Classic, Cheap Strat, White JEM, 68 Paul, Peavy JSX head, Marshall 1960A cab.
Us old guys don't know when to stop!
http://WWW.WLDCARD.COM

Offline loumt123

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2007, 06:59:10 PM »
"A tuner with a “silent tuning” function is a godsend"

a great band director once told me people come to watch you play...not tune [:)]

Offline Steel Pelican

• http://www.modernwhaling.com
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2007, 03:18:30 PM »
1.) Backup Guitar
2.) Backup Guitar
3.) Backup Guitar

Even with equipment as well-built and reliable as the Fly, I've been saved many times by a backup.  At a gig this past Halloween (doing an all-Stones set, I was Ron Wood), about 3 songs in, the screw that holds on the lower strap retainer had worked loose- luckily it was between songs, and I didn't drop the guitar.  The wood had worn away in the screw's hole, so there was no saving it without a dowel, some wood putty, and patience.  Thankfully my buddy's Les Paul was waiting in our backline, otherwise I would have had to finish the set sitting down!

-Greg
-----------
'97 Classic Fly, Trans. Red
Vox Tonelab SE
Mesa/Boogie .50 Cal
Genz Benz El Diablo 60c
Takamine TAN16C

Offline Rozz

• http://www.myspace.com/slicknickelbandyuamaz
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2007, 02:17:20 PM »
My favorite advice from other musicians is to keep it simple.  I've played alot of gigs that were recorded, and when listened to later I've said to my self..."self, why
did you play all thoses unneeded licks etc."  I've found that keeping it simple has made my recorded material sound less contrived and actually fit to what the other guy's were doing.  Also music sounds alot better when there is silence in it.

Zen Guitar...The mistake is not important. What is important is the note you play after the mistake.

Jerry Rosner
Original Yuma, Arizona Mad Man
Emerald Green Fly Classic
P-36
Gibson Chet Atkins Nylon
Vetta II
Gallien Kruger Guitar Amp through 4X10 Yamaha Cab.
Jerry Rosner
Original Yuma, Arizona Mad Man
Emerald Green Fly Classic
P-36
Gibson Chet Atkins Nylon
Line Six Vetta II
Genz Benz Shannandoah Acoustic Amp.  4X10

Offline number 2

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2007, 04:57:33 AM »
my favorite tip was one dave martone told me in a class one time. he said if you make a mistake, make it again and look like you meant it!

my favorite tips are to have a bunch of minions to carry your stuff and make sure the beer is cold and waiting for you on stage, Just kiddin around guys. but i do hate to carry alot of stuff. I try to make it in the door with one trip if i have to carry gear myself.Usually i only bring the bare neccesities. i try not to bring a ton of pedals or crazy stuff. Just a very loud Two Rock w/ a 1x12 and a my parker. A wah and a tuner at most shows. The end, amen.
Parker Fly Mojo Flame in Blue Burst and Koa Custom Shop Fly Mojo
Breedlove Custom Shop Grand Concert size / D'angelico 17 inch Excel /
Alembic Custom 7 String Thing / Original PRS CE24
Two Rock Artist 100 watt Head and matching cab
Acoustic Image Focus II R Head
Suhr Straight Front 4x12 with scumbacks and eminence TR12-65s

Offline magnummike71

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2007, 02:37:33 PM »
These are all grat points. In favor of the tuning down, I use small amps now so I can turn them up to make them work. I am currently using a 15 watt one channel 1X12 fender for my magnetics. Anoth idea I learned on the road was to use an a/b box backward. The guitar goes in one side and the signal is split between my stage gear and my tuner. This is a good way to create a silent tuner if you don't have one. Thanks to all for the ideas.
96 Fly Deluxe Hardtail
94 custom strat hardtail (chambered)
00 Larrivee P03
Garrison G1220
97 Tak FP360sc

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2007, 03:12:27 PM »
quote:
my favorite tip was one dave martone told me in a class one time. he said if you make a mistake, make it again and look like you meant it!

Santana said that once years ago. Good advice, actually. [8D]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2007, 08:03:14 AM »
he's followed it many, many times [:D][:D]

2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 08:04:07 AM by David Tomkins »
2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo signed by Steve Vai, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!

Offline davecan

• http://www.candidsounds.com
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2007, 08:15:42 AM »
So have I.  When I was in college I was in a duo with a female singer who refused to rehearse.  So we would wing it all the time and, as she said, "When we screw up, I'll just shake my pretty a** and smile and no one will care!"  And she was right.  (Of course, when I tried to shake my a** it didn't have the desired effect!)....

Dave C.
GSP 153
* Nitefly Mojo * Southern Nitefly *
www.candidsounds.com
www.myspace.com/candidsounds

Dave

Offline Gixxernutter

• http://www.joe-schmo.com
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2007, 12:33:02 PM »
Really great advice guy's...my two peneth's worth.. get sponsored by a gaffer tape company, we go through rolls of the stuff.

Always gaffer any floor leads / cables down, if a punter trips over your cables - could be solicitor time.

Also if your not separated from the audience by a stage, and your on the same level as the audience, be on the lookout for the drunk who wants to make a request, and just starts marching towards the band, 3 out of 5, guaranteed will not see the monitors, foot pedals and go flying, beer n' all.

Fly Classic 03
Blade RH4 Classic
Cornford MK50II
Marshall 4X12 Vintage
http://www.joe-schmo.com
Fly Classic 03 w/Bare Knuckle Crawlers
Cornford MK50II
Marshall 4X12 Vintage 30's/Greenbacks

Offline Gixxernutter

• http://www.joe-schmo.com
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2007, 12:38:44 PM »
Oh yeah, on the topic of making a bum note, an old friend once gave me very good advice, if you hit a bum note either :
1 : Do it again, so the punters think you intended that note.
2 : Just forget about it, and get on with it.

I often do the bum note twice, it can sound really cool [:)]

Fly Classic 03
Blade RH4 Classic
Cornford MK50II
Marshall 4X12 Vintage
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 12:39:32 PM by Gixxernutter »
Fly Classic 03 w/Bare Knuckle Crawlers
Cornford MK50II
Marshall 4X12 Vintage 30's/Greenbacks

Offline dtglassmoon

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2007, 04:20:18 AM »
Hi All,
This is my first post on these forums due to me now being the proud owner of a "Nitefly Mojo Flame" this by the way is my first Parker but jeez what a beautiful piece of kit...almost feels like I was born with it on my body !!.
Im sure you will see future posts from me on here getting advice from you all due to the limitless amount of helpful info at hand but just to add to the discussion of gigging..... I had to laugh at one of the "Do Not's" that appeared a few time on this thread heres why.
I am 45 now and in my first ever band which has now played it's first pub gig.
Can you believe that during the break between the first and second sets that on my first gig I would be accosted by my first ever Drunk that wanted to play my guitar !!!.
He came up to me on stage introduced himself and was very complimentary about my lead playing which was nice to hear on my first gig...he said he was in a band which had played the same venue and asked if he could play my guitar as it sounded gorgeous...I let him but made sure the amp volume was turned off but he was in no fit state to play anything and was wobbling around attempting to play Santana (I Think ?) Luckily he didn't damage my Hamer guitar but it sure was a worry as he was real hard to shake off but at least he meant well.
My advice for sure is DO NOT let drunk punters near your gear...I am now put me off the idea of ever taking the gorgeous "Mojo Flame" to gigs as the thought of something bad happening to it would be just too hard to bear !
Also another tip.....I took a roll of "Double Sided Sticky Tape" with me to the gig which I used on the underside of the guitar to stick spare picks and it works a treat as a quick pick "Back Up".
Oh one more tip.....Don't ever let your drummer near the "Mic" !!!!!!!

Offline Lwinn171

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2007, 11:52:08 AM »
Hi Anthony, Welcome to the forum! Glad your guitar wasn't damaged! My Hamer wasn't so lucky, as it was dropped (knocked off it's stand, actually), and broke the headstock clean off. Lesson learned (the hard way, as usual!)

Anyway, congrats on getting a Parker, and getting your first gig! All good stuff to be doing. See you around...

Lawrence Winn
You can hear me playing and see my woodworks at:
http://www.myspace.com/132917993
"42.7 percent of all statistics are made-up on the spot."
2001 Fly Classic, Green
Larivee Parlour Guitar
Several inferior others
Mesa Boogie MK IV
Marshall 2-12 cab

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic, 98 Deluxe
various amps, various toys