Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Landslide  (Read 1813 times)

Offline Yoyo

Landslide
« on: March 07, 2007, 01:23:49 PM »
I managed to croak this one out this morning. It's one of my own. Fly to H&k Tubeman to Voodoo-Vibe to dd20 to Digitech Jamman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LcLTn75FaE
The only thing that exists is this moment now.

Landslide

jwrooker

Landslide
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 02:58:45 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Yoyo

I managed to croak this one out this morning. It's one of my own. Fly to H&k Tubeman to Voodoo-Vibe to dd20 to Digitech Jamman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LcLTn75FaE

That's really great!  It has a nice Mark Knopfler kind of feel to it.  Well done!

John
[img=left]http://jwrooker.com/images/parkerforum/avatar.jpg[/img=left]
98 Fly Classic w/Gen 1's..98 Fly Classic w/Gen 2's
03 Fly Mojo..02 NiteFly M w/Duncans
96 Fly Standard (Thanks, Simon!)

Landslide

Offline guitarmanuk

Landslide
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 05:28:17 PM »
Really nice mellow late evening music. Well done.

David

1997 Parker Fly Classic transparent Teal Green

www.dancineasy.co.uk my wedding/function band
www.saxandguitar.co.uk my sax and guitar duo
David

1997 Parker Fly Classic transparent Teal Green
1997 Parker Fly Concert Butterscotch

Landslide

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
Landslide
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 07:20:11 PM »
Wow Yo. That was truly, truly awesome.

I dare anyone to listen to that 3 times in a row and not walk away humming it.

I listened to it over and over. Your style is a lot like mine with the exception that you are awesome and have tons of talent.

That could easily be a huge hit, not that it probably matters to you.

Of course your guitar playing is incredable but you also have a great voice and a cool accent (to Americans anyway).

Small suggestions: watch the guitar hand slaps(distracting more than complementary;loose the tremelo effect on this one (though I liked it on your last clip);consider a slightly clearer  annunciation(I know that its selfish of me but I couldn't understand a lot of words--not that it matters that much--the overall message is easily understood. Or maybe its just the British / American accent dialect difference anyway?).

Yo, I have a long history of commenting on things with little real validity so don't take those critisms of mine too seriously. I mostly want to say that you make some awesome music. I greatly enjoy hearing your clips. I would pay to hear you. Are you sure your not famous? I'm so out of the loop , I wouldn't know if you were anyway.

--b

[8D]

Custom '03 Hardtail Artist ; Fly Deluxe 2000; Gibson ES137; 1974 K.Yari DY85; SchecterDisposable; Martin Backpacker/paddle combo;LarriveeParlor;VoxAD30VT;SWR California Blonde
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 07:30:25 PM by Bill »
A few Flys in my soup

Landslide

Offline Lwinn171

Landslide
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 09:54:48 PM »
Nice stuff! Really well done, and sooooo tastfully rendered. Good for you to put it out there. It's certainly worthy.

Lawrence Winn
You can hear me playing and see my woodworks at:
http://www.myspace.com/132917993
"42.7 percent of all statistics are made-up on the spot."
2001 Fly Classic, Green
Larivee Parlour Guitar
Several inferior others
Mesa Boogie MK IV
Marshall 2-12 cab

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic, 98 Deluxe
various amps, various toys

Landslide

Offline BrainWorm

Landslide
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 11:42:17 PM »
Now Limey Lad Yoyo, that was some good singing! You finally found an Irishman to drink whiskey with. The mic picked up the vocals good. It has me curious on how to get my vocal mic picking up better.

"Brainverms come crawling and creeping and eat you when you're sleeping."

Landslide

Offline Yoyo

Landslide
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 04:10:04 AM »
Thanks for all your comments, I feel very encouraged and in the light of which I'm already planning my next two or three.
Criticisms noted. accepted and taken onboard Bill. And BrainWorm I took your advice,last week I bought and consumed a half bottle of whiskey, sang and recorded three things with great abandon, but on playback found that my choice of recording venue (the tiny conservatory at the back of the house) had coloured the sound horribly and it was unusable. I was gutted and there was no whiskey left to console myself, but my love of music and alcohol ensures that I will try again.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 04:10:28 AM by Yoyo »

Landslide

Offline BrainWorm

Landslide
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2007, 02:28:56 AM »
Don't worry Yoyo, you do the drinking and I'll do the thinking and we'll get a good song done. On the serious side I went back and listened to the song again. Yep, the diction can use some more work. I work on getting clearer diction so people can understand the words and it's a struggle for me. One of the problems for me, is when I think about the diction while singing, I lose some of the emotion of the song. Anyway that's why I liked your song so much, the basics of music were there, the emotion, expressing something you want to say.

Landslide

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
Landslide
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2007, 07:27:30 AM »
yeah, I've gone back and listned to it several times every day since.

Its a Killer song ! Like Lawrence said, "sooo tastefully rendered".

You have a way, Yo. A calm intensity thats not psycho. Very real but not mundaine the way most real stuff is. And this is not tini bopper subject matter or country/folk music dribble. The timing and feel of this is right for the mid life baby bommin rockers. This could have legs.

I don't think you have to do anything to it right now. Its pretty darn good the way it is. I like your back drops with the radiator and posters and simple chair. Sparse,closed in space goes with it. Wall colors good. You may think its not chosen --just the place you live but the place you live is chosen in a way. It all fits. You set up room compositions subconsciously throughout life stages.

Video's are a pain as you have to be aware of everything. In this case you are put together appropriatly. Your zippers not down, nothing bad is hanging out, hair and clothes are not distracting. (The pants/psuedo knickers in DA Blues were a little distracting). But that little room was still cool. I even like that we watch you turn on and off the video recorder. Your facial expressions are also good. Eye contact//looking up at the right times ect. Dont think too hard on that kind of thing or it will be cheesy.

Hwy 61.Visualy looks good. Only advice on that one is that you are singing like the baby is asleep in the next room.  Yo, you have a great voice. Use it.

Yo please remeber I only say these things because I think your stuff is awesome. Minor (very very minor) tweaks and you're ready for the prime time masses. I wish I could send it off to VH1/MTV and you would be rich and famous over night. Of course then your life would really be ruined so whats the point?

I'd say Landslide is close enough to keep as is unless you are in the mood to keep dabbling with it. If you need a break from the song then leave it. You can come back latter. Get on with taping your next one cause I can't wait! [:p]

Anyway, if I were as good as you, I wouldn't take the ramblings of a dweeb like me too seriously. Just keep doing what youre doing. When you are done, I want to be the first to buy the CD or DVD. [:)]

Custom '03 Hardtail Artist ; Fly Deluxe 2000; Gibson ES137; 1974 K.Yari DY85; SchecterDisposable; Martin Backpacker/paddle combo;LarriveeParlor;VoxAD30VT;SWR California Blonde
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 07:59:30 AM by Bill »
A few Flys in my soup