Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Parker Bass Questions  (Read 6055 times)

Offline badmotorfinger74

Parker Bass Questions
« on: March 08, 2007, 01:54:48 PM »
Just a few questions concerning the Parker basses...

First of all, do they still make the Mojo Bass?  I was recently out at Sweetwater's website, and it was nowhere to be found.  Usually they show all the models, even if they are out of stock, but in this instance they were only showing the P series basses.  I also noticed that it was mysteriously absent from the new 2007 catalog (it is however listed in the back with the specs).

What's the difference between the Mojo Bass and the regular Fly Basses?  It looks like it's got identical specs with the exception of the Piezo circuitry.  Is that really the only difference?  Do they sound pretty much the same?

The 2007 catalog indicates that a hardshell case is available, but I can't seem to find any information about them.  Are they available?

When I first played a Parker guitar (a Fly Deluxe) I fell in love.  It was like no instrument I'd ever played, and I knew I'd never want anything but a Parker.  Basically, in my mind, Parker reinvented the guitar, so have they done the same thing with the bass?  Should I expect something similar to this with the bass?  I pretty much would be buying one without ever actually playing one first.

Parker Bass Questions

Offline 908ssp

Parker Bass Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 03:47:43 PM »
The standard American made Fly bass has piezos and jazz style pickups. The Mojo had EMG active humbucker style. I am pretty sure there was some discussion on this in earlier threads so you might do a search to find it. If I remember correctly the Mojo was cheaper could have been because of the lack of piezos. I do think the piezos are worth having on a bass. Especially if you're into music beside heavy metal. The piezos work great for jazz and add bright snap on top for funk. They make the instrument much more versatile. Parker still has it on their web site too. I often see new ones on eBay for sale.

[^]

Alex

« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 03:49:08 PM by 908ssp »
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Parker Bass Questions

Offline badmotorfinger74

Parker Bass Questions
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 09:36:14 PM »
Well, here it is four months later, and I still haven't decided what I want.  That's OK though, because I still owe about $500 on my Fly Mojo guitar.

So is the Mojo bass better for heavier music, or will I be able to dial up pretty much any tone I want with the regular Fly bass (including bottom heavy stuff)?

I still don't understand why the Mojo bass doesn't have the peizo's.  The Mojo guitars do!
I see all those knobs on the Fly bass and think I might be losing some tweakability if I went with the Mojo bass.

Also, does Parker do custom colors for basses?  For the life of me, I don't understand why they don't offer the Fly bass in dusty black.

Parker Bass Questions

Offline 908ssp

Parker Bass Questions
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 10:29:15 PM »
The way manufactures and dealers look at it is that they put together packages they feel will the most likely to sell. Jazzers use piezo Rockers don't. Jazzers like flame Rockers like black. Jazzers will spend more for an instrument then Rockers. Of course these are generalizations but you see the the thinking.

If you're going to custom order then all the rules are out. It is probably that if you want EMGs and piezos on a black guitar you can have it you just have to pay and wait.

[^]

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Parker Bass Questions

Offline badmotorfinger74

Parker Bass Questions
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 11:35:38 AM »
Actually, you may have talked me into a Mojo bass...

I barely use the Piezo on my Mojo Fly, and it would probably see even less use on the bass.

When you put it like that, I guess I fit all the generalizations.
So much for thinking that I was sophisticated... [:D]

Parker Bass Questions

Offline 908ssp

Parker Bass Questions
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 05:18:44 PM »
I don't like the sound of that. What do you suppose that means? Just not in the cycle or on hold for the future? Were there production problems that weren't working out? Let's all hope they make more would be shame to loose the Fly bass they are terrific instruments.

[^]

Alex

Alex

Parker Bass Questions

Offline mitchellb

• http://www.stevietribute.com
Parker Bass Questions
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2007, 06:11:07 PM »
According to Musicians Friend, the Fly Bass is discontinued.  Glad I got an early one from before they moved and were bought by Washburn.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Parker-Fly-Bass-Guitar-5String?sku=511054&src=3SOSWXXA

Parker Bass Questions

Offline 908ssp

Parker Bass Questions
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2007, 06:19:18 PM »
That's nuts.[:(]

Alex

Alex

Parker Bass Questions

Offline badmotorfinger74

Parker Bass Questions
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2007, 11:59:02 PM »
That stinks!

If they've discontinued them, why doesn't Parker remove them from their website?

I thought that ChicagoKid said they were selling well.  Remember this post?
http://forums.parkerguitars.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4513

What a bummer...

Parker Bass Questions

Offline Munkipuss

Parker Bass Questions
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2007, 03:33:21 AM »
Fly guitars a seriously back-ordered. I've had a custom on order for 12+ months now. Maybe the basses are on hold, while they deal with catching up on the guitars. I remember reading something from Jamie that said it was frowned upon for a dealer to order a bass at the current time.

Parker Bass Questions

Offline badmotorfinger74

Parker Bass Questions
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2007, 09:14:28 PM »
The saga continues...

I contacted my sales rep at Sweetwater and first was told that they no longer sell Parker [:0]

He later called me and told me that he was mistaken, and that he contacted someone at Parker and was told that Parker would not be building the Mojo Bass again until March of 2008.  I didn't actually talk to him, so I don't know the reason why.

ChicagoKid did give me a dealer who has one, so I may buy from that guy instead of Sweetwater, but I haven't decided yet.  I may just end up waiting until March.  I'd buy it from ChicagoKid's guy in a heartbeat if they were discontinuing them, but now that doesn't appear to be the case.

Parker Bass Questions

Offline ChicagoKid

• http://www.USCustomShop.com
Parker Bass Questions
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 12:38:15 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by badmotorfinger74

The saga continues...

I contacted my sales rep at Sweetwater and first was told that they no longer sell Parker [:0]

He later called me and told me that he was mistaken, and that he contacted someone at Parker and was told that Parker would not be building the Mojo Bass again until March of 2008.  I didn't actually talk to him, so I don't know the reason why.

ChicagoKid did give me a dealer who has one, so I may buy from that guy instead of Sweetwater, but I haven't decided yet.  I may just end up waiting until March.  I'd buy it from ChicagoKid's guy in a heartbeat if they were discontinuing them, but now that doesn't appear to be the case.

Hi Matt,
  Without saying too much, I wouldn't wait until March '08 (8 months from now). The bass you seek is available in the location I provided you.

In fact, I've played that very same bass one month ago. So did someone else...

Here's the thread:
http://parkerguitars.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5063

You'll find a link to a video of this person playing the exact bass. He *almost* left with it! He was that impressed. Give it some thought...

www.USCustomShop.com <coming soon>
www.USCustomShop.com <coming soon>

Parker Bass Questions

Offline badmotorfinger74

Parker Bass Questions
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 11:59:22 AM »
Another update...

I ordered the Mojo bass from the dealer that Jamie referred me to, and I received it on Friday.  This thing is a work of art and it sounds great.   It really is just what I was looking for.  Thanks to everyone who posted here to help me make my decision, and thanks to Jamie for finding a bass for me.  I think I got the last one on the planet[:)].