Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mediant and Quartal Chords  (Read 3573 times)

Offline splitfinger

• http://www.myspace.com/matick
Mediant and Quartal Chords
« on: March 14, 2007, 08:26:15 PM »
Does anyone else use these types of chords? I love using them in any time i can. Mediant chords makes things so much more interesting in my opinion, and I use Quartal(Modal) chords as much as I can (If you don't know what Quartal chords are, they are the chords Bill Evans uses on So What).

Offline simonlock

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 09:18:38 PM »
What do you mean by mediant chords?

Simon
Vancouver,BC

'00 Parker Fly Supreme-Butterscotch
'06 Parker Nylon Fly(thanks Jamie!)
'99 Parker Fly Artist w/Ken Parker signature
'06 Parker Fly Mojo-T/Cherry
'06 Parker Fly Classic-Dusty Black
'99 Parker Fly Classic-Natural
'98 Parker FlY Classic-Trans Blue(thanks to Jeff for the whammy bar)

Offline splitfinger

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 09:26:20 PM »
Ill give an example. If you have a A maj7 chord, the mediant chord of that would be C#min7/A. It is started on the third of that chord. Some more examples:

Bmin7 = Dmaj7/B
C79 = Emin7b5/C
G7b9 = Bdimished7/G
Cmin7 = Ebmaj7/C
Fmaj7 = Amin7/F

« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 09:26:51 PM by splitfinger »

Offline loumt123

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 09:51:56 PM »
interesting...

Wouldn't that be a fancy way of writing extended chords, though? (9s).

In theory, if one was to have a Cmaj7 chord that would translate into Em7/C.

Wouldn't the spelling of that chord now be C, E, G, B, D...which would be played, according to how the chord is written as a Cmaj9?

Another example is if one was to have a Cm7 chord the spelling would be C, Eb, G, Bb. This would translate into Ebmaj7 with a C in the bass. An Ebmaj7 chord consists of Eb, G, Bb, and D. So now this mediant chord will be spelled C, Eb, G, Bb, and D...a Cm9 chord.

Correct me if I'm wrong since I have not really studied "Mediant Chords" yet...but these just seem to be 9 chords..theoretically if I've done this right?

I also have one more question...why are these called mediant chords? Wouldn't that refer to the third scale degree? How is that indicated through these chords?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 09:59:04 PM by loumt123 »

Offline splitfinger

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 02:17:31 PM »
Very interesting Lou. Well, I can answer one of your questions. They are called Mediant chords because they do have something to do with the third scale degree. Look at what a Cmin7 chord would turn into. Ebmaj7/c. Eb is the third of Cmin, and thats why it is called a Mediant chord.

Offline loumt123

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 03:19:23 PM »
haha wow that was a dumb oversight...duhhhh right in front of my face [:I].

Offline prjacobs

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 11:52:15 PM »
I'm a person who was taught to think in terms of extensions of chords, sort of like cmpkllyrs96 alludes to in mentioning 9ths.  In any case we're all apt to use our own system, (really the way we've been taught), to find as much harmonic content and musical choices in the instant of improvisation.  When I see a minor 7th chord, for example the Bmin7 used above, I'd think Dmaj7, F#min7 and Amaj7.  This would give me the opportunity to improvise in any of those 4 keys.  
I guess I'd think of the mediant chords in terms of it's sound and direction either to a dominant or to the tonic.

Offline simonlock

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 08:51:33 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by prjacobs

I'm a person who was taught to think in terms of extensions of chords, sort of like cmpkllyrs96 alludes to in mentioning 9ths.  In any case we're all apt to use our own system, (really the way we've been taught), to find as much harmonic content and musical choices in the instant of improvisation.  When I see a minor 7th chord, for example the Bmin7 used above, I'd think Dmaj7, F#min7 and Amaj7.  This would give me the opportunity to improvise in any of those 4 keys.  
I guess I'd think of the mediant chords in terms of it's sound and direction either to a dominant or to the tonic.

This is one key though. Amajor. However using the other diatonic chords over the Bmin7 gets you the other tensions. One cool way to look at extensions in a diatonic way is to simply use the next 7th chord/arp. This way you get the 9 11 13 and the 7th is the tonic of the previous chord. So if you're looking for these tensions on an Amaj7 just play Bmin7.

Simon
Vancouver,BC

'98 Parker FlY Classic-Trans Blue
'02 Parker Fly Classic-Hardtail(coming soon)

Offline prjacobs

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 04:21:22 PM »
Simon, I see what you mean and how that would work.  I sometimes feel that anything I can grab hold of use while improvising is sort of a life preserver.  The more choices I have, the more life preservers are around me, increasing my chances of survival.  
(Maybe not the best choice of words:)
I was taught jazz piano by Sanford Gold in New York City.  His method has been burned into my head and hands.  I'm thinking about putting a pdf of his book together....

Offline simonlock

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 06:29:01 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by prjacobs

I was taught jazz piano by Sanford Gold in New York City.  His method has been burned into my head and hands.  I'm thinking about putting a pdf of his book together....

That would be great. I'd love a copy to sample.

Simon
Vancouver,BC

'98 Parker FlY Classic-Trans Blue
'02 Parker Fly Classic-Hardtail(coming soon)